Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Black Seed (Nigella Seed)

Alpha Blondy;910702 wrote:
in somali its called xabad-sowda.

I think Xabad-sowda is Arabic since Nigella sativa was unknown to Somalis till it was introduced by the Arabs together with Islam. Also, the plant does not grow in the Somali regions so there will be no original Somali name for it.

Somali regions are well know for gums and resins such used in frankincense and manufacture perfumes e.g. Commiphora Molmol or myhrr or simply malmal....

Aaliyyah   

QansaxMeygaag;910699 wrote:
My mum sprinkles a bit on her pillow before she sleeps and insists on rubbing it on babies; can't say I like the smell though, am like wow, go easy.

I think the scientific name is Nigella sativa? In a study in Kuwait, it was shown to cure Diabetes...

I did hear something along the lines that black seed protects you from magic. Perhaps, that is why your mother sprinkles a bit on her pillow. lol...I think though it is better to consume it.

Nigella sativa is another way of saying black seed you are right. I am not sure if it the scientific name or not. And yeah there have been so many studies proving how effective it is.

Aaliyyah;910711 wrote:
I did hear something along the lines that black seed protects you from magic. Perhaps, that is why your mother sprinkles a bit on her pillow. lol...I think though it is better to consume it.

Nigella sativa is another way of saying black seed you are right. I am not sure if it the scientific name or not. And yeah there have been so many studies proving how effective it is.

Kkk. My mum does not believe in magic my sister; I thought you'd have figured by my earlier post that am somewhat of a science buff. I disabused her of superstitions and other mumbo jumbos along long time ago! The only thing I can't convince her of is that there is no such thing as mingis...working on it...

Aaliyyah   

When I said magic I was referring to the evil eye. And, evil eye does exist. I wouldnt know why your mother sprinkles black seed on her pillow but I was merely making a reasonable assumption. So why did she do it? did you ever asked? LOL

Aaliyyah;910716 wrote:
When I said magic I was referring to the evil eye. And, evil eye does exist. I wouldnt know why your mother sprinkles black seed on her pillow but I was merely making a reasonable assumption. So why did she do it? did you ever asked? LOL

Without getting pulled into a discussion on the evil eye; the answer as to why my mum sprinkles xabad-sawda on her pillow is because she says it makes her "breathe easier at night". You'd think some eucalyptus oil or menthol would do the same and we'd not have to trek all the way to Somali shopping malls to buy the stuff, easier to pop into the nearest pharmacy...

Aaliyyah   

^ One of the videos I posted someone did mention it helped them breath better but that was after consuming it. It is interesting that your mother could breath better by just sprinkling on her pillow. Kolay dadka wawayn waxay sameenayaan yaga baa og. You said she also believed caruurta yaryar in loo mariyo. I did my research now and they said it helps with growth. As weird as it looks what they sometimes do, wisdom baa ku jirta.

And you can find this oil even from indian stores you dont have to drive to a somali store if it is too far (inkasto hoyada waxay ku dirsato ay aheen in aad ka wahsatid wax ka badan bay ku qabatay)..

Aaliyyah;910721 wrote:
^ One of the videos I posted someone did mention it helped them breath better but that was after consuming it. It is interesting that your mother could breath better by just sprinkling on her pillow. Kolay dadka wawayn waxay sameenayaan yaga baa og. You said she also believed caruurta yaryar in loo mariyo. I did my research now and they said it helps with growth. As weird as it looks what they sometimes do, wisdom baa ku jirta.

And you can find this oil even from indian stores you dont have to drive to a somali store if it is too far (inkasto hoyada waxay ku dirsato ay aheen in aad ka wahsatid wax ka badan bay ku qabatay)..

MashaAllah; you are a very wise sister, you are beginning to grow on me lol. You are right, wahsi iyo hooyo meel ma islagalaan! And she did raise us thru hell, Lord only knows.

On rubbing it on the kids, she says "it helps strengthen their muscles"

Alpha Blondy;910736 wrote:
arabic is not a UN Security Council official language (P5). i wouldn't know sxb. m

Kkkk. Arabic might not be a UNSC language, but it IS a UN language...

Aaliyyah   

QansaxMeygaag;910725 wrote:
MashaAllah; you are a very wise sister, you are beginning to grow on me lol. You are right, wahsi iyo hooyo meel ma islagalaan! And she did raise us thru hell, Lord only knows.

On rubbing it on the kids, she says "it helps strengthen their muscles"

Thanks walaal. Waalidinteena somaliyeed dhib bay nugu so koriyeen marka abaalkoda maba la gudi karo

And if you are new to Sol, Ku so dhowoow.

Aaliyyah   

Ducaysane waan ka qaadey.

Oba, this stuff is miracle. It cures everything. Iske day mala bidaar danbe kama caban doontid.lol

nuune   

oba hiloowlow;910865 wrote:
xabad sowdaha smells disgusting.

That is a gross statement to make, sxb, Nabigeena sallaahu calayhi wasalam ayaa this particular black seed ka hadley, how important it is, in great length and in great detail, and you are calling it disgusting, sxb, do you remember advise aan ku siin jirey waa hore about reading kutubta ahadiithta, haye baad tiri, dhagtaad ka bixisey waxxaan kugu dhahey, balse if you have read the hadiiths, you wouldn't have said waa disgusting iyo waxyaala kale.