Sign in to follow this  
AfricaOwn

CNN Analyst-We have to ask why all recent mass shootings committed by white guys

CNN panelist David Sirota and writer at Salon.com told Don Lemon Saturday that we need to “explore” the question of why so many recent mass killings were committed by white men. “I’m not saying we should racially profile white guys,” he said, but suggested that had the shooters been “Arabs” or “African-American men”, we’d be having a “very different conversation” in this country.

According to Sirota, many of the recent gun tragedies in America have been carried out by white men, 18- to 25-years-old.

“Why is the composite so similar? Why are 70% of these mass shootings at the hands of white men? Not to say they should be racially profiled but to ask the question, why is the composite so similar? Let’s explore that. Let’s ask that question.”

“It’s an important question,” Sirota notes, “in light of a political climate” where a “white victimization” narrative is widespread. He continued,

“This idea white people are being kept down, that white people are being oppressed – does this have anything to do with this? I think it’s worth asking the question.”

Lemon referenced a recent article Sirota had written in which he said if the shooter was a black male, he’d be a labelled a “thug,” or if he was Muslim, he’d be labelled a “terrorist,” but since he’s white, no generalized labels have been thrown about. Sirota stood by his piece and said he hoped the “next time something bad happens,” we don’t “ascribe to entire groups the bad actions of individuals.” The reason we’re not now, he said, is because it’s a form of “white privilege.”

Don't whites make up 72.4% of the United States' population? Making the 70% number unremarkable? The fact they're all men is more concerning.

Marksman   

It has to do with white privilage and white supremacy. White people are brought up to believe they can have everything they want and that they can never be wrong. When it occurs that white people feel threatened because they cannot have the things they were 'entitled to', something happens in their brain.

They snap. They blame the society for not giving them what they want/need.

Many discussions are going on on the internet. Especially on tumblr for instance. The unfairness for instance that suddenly mental illness is being discussed only because most of these maniacs were white people.

It is a hypocrisy.

Reeyo   

Blackflash;905547 wrote:
Don't whites make up 72.4% of the United States' population? Making the 70% number unremarkable? The fact they're all men is more concerning.

Haha. CNN trying to appear intellectual.

Marksman   

@ AfricaOwn Can you imagine a Western media outlet describing a black male as 'bright'? I can't either. Even if he was studying at Harvard they would find a more negative word to describe the person.

As a person of color I always read between the lines.

Another shooting today in Colorado. Four people dead in the same town as the shooting of the Batman movie premiere.

LINK

I think the while male population in America are going through hard time and facing challenges, domination, from the rise of Hispanics, blacks and female. So its like American white male middle crises, anything they do is to be expected and pardoned, they will get over it.

In light of these factors, I agree with CNN, they should make excuses for the shooters.

Waranle_Warrior;905670 wrote:
I think the while male population in America are going through hard time and facing challenges, domination, from the rise of Hispanics, blacks and female. So its like American white male middle crises, anything they do is to be expected and pardoned, they will get over it.

In light of these factors, I agree with CNN, they should make excuses for the shooters.

+5