Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Best Afar Song ever? Gashaw Adal....RIP

Abtigiis   

Carafaat and Wyre are avid lovers of Ethiopian music. For them and for the other fans of music, I present Gashaw Adal - May he rest in peace.

Gashaw Adal suffered from Vitiligo, a condition which involves complete loss of melanin - the primary skin pigment, and many speculate his late entrance into music was because he preferred obscurity to escape the harsh judgement of a superstititious society that considered those suffering from this skin condition as wicked and cursed.

But when he finally and courageously took the stage, parallels with the greatest was made. Some even declared a new Tilahun Gessesse was on the making. Gashaw's second name is not Adal; Adal or Afar is the name of the cushitic people in North East of Ethiopia. He is named Adal because he was from the Afar region - An Amhara who lived there.

1994 was when he released "Abay, ye bahay". This Afar song rocked Addis, and the Ethiopian TV crew seemed to not get enough of it. The world cup in USA was on and the games made more sense, because Gashaw's incredibly melodious voice was aired for hours before and after the matches.

He died prematurely. How I loved him!

Abay,ye bahay, ...yani de delaki balaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......................

Khadafi   

Abtigiis;899944 wrote:
Carafaat and Wyre are avid lovers of Ethiopian music. For them and for the other fans of music, I present Gashaw Adal - May he rest in peace.

Gashaw Adal suffered from Vitiligo, a condition which involves complete loss of melanin - the primary skin pigment, and many speculate his late entrance into music was because he preferred obscurity to escape the harsh judgement of a superstititious society that considered those suffering from this skin condition as wicked and cursed.

But when he finally and courageously took the stage, parallels with the greatest was made. Some even declared a new Tilahun Gessesse was on the making. Gashaw's second name is not Adal; Adal or Afar is the name of the cushitic people in North East of Ethiopia. He is named Adal because he was from the Afar region - An Amhara who lived there.

1994 was when he released
"Abay, ye bahay".
This Afar song rocked Addis, and the Ethiopian TV crew seemed to not get enough of it. The world cup in USA was on and the games made more sense, because Gashaw's incredibly melodious voice was aired for hours before and after the matches.

He died prematurely. How I loved him!

Abay,ye bahay, ...yani de delaki balaniiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.......................

Alle ha u naxariisto, Abtigis add yinti nagmaay to the list of the one of the best afar sings... Nagmaaay Nagmaaay!

wyre   

thank you abtigiis for dedicating this sog to us, insha allah, i'll listen tomorrow and i'll comment about it

Abtigiis   

I'm not in love

So don't forget it

It's just a silly phase I'm going through

And just because

I call you up

Don't get me wrong, don't think you've got it made

I'm not in love, no no, it's because..

I like to see you

But then again

That doesn't mean you mean that much to me

So if I call you

Don't make a fuss

Don't tell your friends about the two of us

I keep your picture

Upon the wall

It hides a nasty stain that's lying there

So don't you ask me

To give it back

I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me

I'm not in love

So don't forget it

And just because I call you up

I'm not in love

I'm not in love

:D :D

Igu soo war celi kolaad heesta dhagaysatid, bal wixii aad ka fahantay.

wyre   

This was among the best songs I ever listened, thanks abtigiis markale, can you please to the first song of this playlist and tell me the artist

the song starts with "asiyo belema"

Abtigiis;900099 wrote:
I'm not in love

So don't forget it

And just because

I call you up

I like to see you

But then again

That doesn't mean you mean that much to me

So if I call you

Don't make a fuss

Don't tell your friends about the two of us

I keep your picture

Upon the wall

It hides a nasty stain that's lying there

So don't you ask me

To give it back

I know you know it doesn't mean that much to me

I'm not in love

So don't forget it

And just because I call you up

I'm not in love

I'm not in love

:D

Igu soo war celi kolaad heesta dhagaysatid, bal wixii aad ka fahantay.

Love is a mental illness. The man is clearly in denial and that's his way of trying to forget about it.

Abtigiis   

Wyre,

Asiyo Belema is a Shoa Oromo chant played during holidays. Of late, various singers have adapted it and use it as entry into their songs. I think the first singer who san it was Tilahun Gessese. Teddy Afro and others have also done renditions. I don't know the singer in the clip you shared but to me it doesn't look like a proper song. It looks someone is playing different chants because Hoye hoye is also a different chants kids do during one of the Ethiopian holidays. So, he is mixing Asiyo Belema which is played by Oromos with Hoya hoye which is Amharic.

Bluicious, Whatever! :D That song is for you. I am repeating it here and now: I am not in love.

Carafaat   

Thanks Abtigiis.

Afari music resemples Somali music. Listen to this song of Fatouma Mansour and watch the many Afari beauties.

Abtigiis   

Muxuu yidhi ninkii ceelka shubayey? Yaa ikala jara, oo salka i dhiga, oo dhexda i dhiga, oo darka i dhiga!

Likewise, yaa ikala jara, oo in islaanta u reeba, oo in Bluelicious u geeya, inta kalena hablahaa canfarta ah kula dhex dhaca! :D :D

But Carafaat, afar girls are like Somalis, marka if one is looking for a change from Xaliimos, Afar is not a good idea.

Abtigiis;900634 wrote:
Bluicious, Whatever!
That song is for you. I am repeating it here and now: I am not in love.

Oh so the song was about you I see. Well in that case I don't know what to think of this. How can one be not in love when they were never in love in the first place. Sounds like there is something I was unaware of.

Abtigiis   

Now, Blue,let not be philosophical about as simple matter as love. If the English hasn't done it, let me try Somali: :D :D :D

Hooriga la sheegiyee

Hebad liita ma ihiye

Hanti nin aan lahaynoo

Habranaaya ma ihi

Waxaan ahay nin hanadoo

Fulinaaya hawshee

Ma ii hagar baxdaa?

Kii xumaa ee meesha kula joogay ee Carafaat ahaa la kaasho oo bal heestaa ka soo jawaab.