Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Me, myself I

NGONGE   

Imagine watching TV in your living room when you come across an erotic scene. Most of us must have been in this situation at least a dozen times. However, at some point when this scene was in progress we chose to sit and watch it (out of curiosity, craving or even boredom). Incidentally, Basic Instinct was on TV the other day and I, to my total amazement, didn’t bother with any of the sex scenes.

Still, now imagine the same situation but with your mother or father in the room. I dare wager that all of us would be falling over ourselves to get hold of the remote and change the channel or even switch the TV off!

What is it about these situations though that makes you act in one way when alone or with friends and in a totally different way when family or children are present? Does acting in such a way make you a hypocrite or is it just a personality thing?

I know lots of dirty jokes. I share them with my friends all the time. At times, it’s only me that finds them funny and at other times, I manage to coax a laugh or two from my friends. I would never dare nor would it cross my mind to share such jokes with my children, family or any of the people that I keep in the mental compartment marked “Caadi iska dhig”. On the other hand, I would not hesitate to share these jokes with you; like that one that goes “how do you know when a prostitute is full?”[/i[]I]]...........”when she gets a runny nose”. This is an awful, disgusting and extremely tasteless joke but it had me laughing my head off when I first read it, twenty years ago. It’s not, naturally, for the “Caadi iska dhig” crowd.

This is not about respect. It is about supply and demand. My mother, children and the rest of the “Caadi iska dhig” crowd do not demand nor supply such jokes, silly scenes or ideas. Around them, for reasons of morality, culture and, honestly speaking, tedious habit, one is obliged to follow the rules of domestic communication. With friends the rules change and there is a degree of freedom allowed for one to express a different side of their personality.

The internet is a different matter altogether. Here, one can let oneself go. I mean, it would probably be easier if one created a script that was into all the saucy and shameless speak but that misses the whole point. It is not the ability to tell dirty jokes that I seek when I write online. It is the ability to write. It is all about having the space to express myself freely and, should I choose to, allow some light into different parts of my personality. It’s the chance to loosen the shackles and let the mind wander aloud. We are not only serious fathers, dutiful sons, eager students, hard workers or lustful charlatans. We’re all of these and more.

Also, I believe that only in airing your thoughts could you get to hear them and decide whether they’re foolish, enlightening or otherwise. So, whilst I may not watch an erotic scene with my mother still in the room, I am more than comfortable writing about one with her sat in the chair opposite me. I do so because I realised that the more I read, the more I write. The better I read, the better I write (alas, I don’t think I did much of either recently).

Abtigiis   

Excellent analysis and refreshing perspective. Where is juxa?? She should print this and read it once a day for six years to get why we do in the internet what we can't dare to do in real life! ... Ngonge, add this dimension. Like a girl who loves singing but with parents who forbid that, you have an urge to write fiction. More than urge... a consuming desire! Yet, you know you will never be able to do that. You have a mom who probably will get a heart attack if she hears what one of your characters said, you have an uncle who thinks the apostate in your story is you, you have a brother who thinks your are the personification of morality in this earth. You have kids who think you are the purest human being. Above all, you have a sanctimonious and irking society which can't or is unwilling to tell between a story and a story-teller.

What does that man dying of an intense desire to be something do? He finds internet and the relative safety of a pseudonym. He threws himself in and starts to relieve some burden. ... and that overbearing society finds your real persona through hearsays and unnuanced truths. Alas! What you feared happens. You are pronounced mad! You are a wicked man. Even amoral. It is shackling, I tell you.

NGONGE   

^^ Tell me about it. With people accusing Abwaan of being a former "moryaan", I had a thought about one that was a kid when the troubles in Somalia started and got addicted to killing. I some how imagined him finding his way to the West and managing to carve a respectable life for himself (a pretty girl with no moryaan history, an aroos with Khadra Daahir as the main singer and a job as a Taxi driver, etc). But there is an empty space in our career moryaan's soul. He craves the feel of killing something or someone like he easily used to do when he was younger. The story then goes on (in my head, though it's not yet fully cooked) to describe the way how he became a serial killer and how all dog owners in his local area came to be afraid of the Somali assasin. His reasons for killing the dogs are obvious of course (dogs waa najaas and one must get rid of all najaas, etc).

I stopped myself from writing it in case I offended my friend Oba! :D

Juxa   

Abtigiis, seriously do you think he did you a favour now?

First of all i am glad i am part of the Caadi iska dhig group, for it would unbearable to meet ngonge in real life isagoo wax lala yaabo ku soo qorey online.

Tan xigta, Abtigiis, i was willing to waive your past behaviour under 'he was bored banner' and your future conduct that you are an 'artist' heading lakin waxan ka yaabanahay oo aan fahmi la ahay oo fajac iyo amakaag igu ridey the effort you put in convincing us (sol women folk) that we have to separate the real you from your online persona.

do you accept that may be difficult?

ps: kasoo cesho ngonge fee ga aad siisay runtii, wuxu waa qasaaro

NGONGE   

^^ It's not that difficult, Juxa. I think even YOU have a "caadi iska dhig" group of people that you keep your conversations with very serious and another group where you let yourself go. Being a Somali woman and going by the argument that they're all mad, I am pretty certain of that idea. :D

A_Khadar   

Awoowe NG, there is this thing called interpersonal communication which says, every human has double personality, one privetely and one publicly. So I think you discovered that personality where you and everyone have at least two personalities.

Ibtisam   

lol Somalis and Split personalities.

It must be a farah thing!!!! I act, do and say the same things everywhere, consistency is good for the soul. I am glad to be in your caadi oska dhig crew NGonge.

NGONGE;897798 wrote:
^^ Tell me about it. With people accusing Abwaan of being a former "moryaan", I had a thought about one that was a kid when the troubles in Somalia started and got addicted to killing. I some how imagined him finding his way to the West and managing to carve a respectable life for himself (a pretty girl with no moryaan history, an aroos with Khadra Daahir as the main singer and a job as a Taxi driver, etc). But there is an empty space in our career moryaan's soul. He craves the feel of killing something or someone like he easily used to do when he was younger. The story then goes on (in my head, though it's not yet fully cooked) to describe the way how he became a serial killer and how all dog owners in his local area came to be afraid of the Somali assasin. His reasons for killing the dogs are obvious of course (dogs waa najaas and one must get rid of all najaas, etc).

I stopped myself from writing it in case I offended my friend Oba!
:D

LOOL :D

NGONGE;897798 wrote:

I stopped myself from writing it in case I offended my friend Oba!
:D

vhxb9f.png

wyre   

exactly NG, what you are saying is 100% true

all of us are Tilahun Elfineh (abtigiis knows) when we are not between the family and sheikh umal when we are with them :D

Juxa   

Sorry Wyre but some of us is what you see is what you get, online or real life!

i still dont get the need to pretend.......................indeed the place to be is the HOYGA CAADI ISKA DHIG