Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Working Studying in Gaalo Societies

Haatu   

Wadani;892440 wrote:
Thats true Alpha. I don't plan on gettting 10 years of experience before coming to hargaysa. I just graduated uni this year and in the first few months of my career. I'm think after 4 or 5 years i'll be ready for the motherland.

Congrats. What do you do sxb?

Wadani   

OdaySomali;892485 wrote:
Like a city on the move but with a long long way to go yet. Progress at a snail's pace. Development obstructed by psuedo-politicians & cawaan politics, corruption and qabyaalad. Poor, underdeveloped, lacking infrastructure, a dearth of good leadership or management, lack of public services, lack of entertainment. Lack of everything.

If I had to sum it up:

Extreme poverty. Extreme underdevelopment. Extreme bad and incompetent leadership, across every field and sector. Marmite.

Thanks for the honest assessment. But there had to have been some positives also, am I right?

Bump! X-mas is around the corner. And once again there will be the question of X-mas parties.

This time I am attending a X-mas party. I suppose people change in their attitudes.

Wadani   

OdaySomali;990167 wrote:
Bump! X-mas is around the corner. And once again there will be the question of X-mas parties.

This time I am attending a X-mas party. I suppose people change in their attitudes.

looool, what made u change your attitude?

odaysomali;990167 wrote:
bump! X-mas is around the corner. And once again there will be the question of x-mas parties.

This time i am attending a x-mas party. I suppose people change in their attitudes.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Safferz   

OdaySomali;990167 wrote:

It's always good to make an appearance, just long enough for the free food and saying hello, then make an early exit. I do this not because I have an issue with holiday functions, but because I hate people.

OdaySomali;990167 wrote:

Stay grounded on your principal oday, don't give into the man!

Yaasir   

Gaalo are gaalo, what's their say other than the causal greetings which are few and far between, However the ladies on the other hand. :D

Yaasir;990183 wrote:
Gaalo are gaalo, what's their say other than the causal greetings which are few and far between, However the ladies on the other hand.
:D

1. Welcome to SOL

2. WTF are you saying?

Yaasir;990205 wrote:
^

1. Thx

2. I'm simply saying the future is not now, we're in the present.

Before you can finish saying 'present,' you're in the future. Therefore, the present is always past and thefuture[is]now. Embrace.

Khayr   

OdaySomali,

It is always a tough decision to make because of the implied repreccusions. Meaning that if you don't attend, you will be deemed to be too conservative and lacking in interpersonal skills.

Question: If you were invited to a

co-workers gaalo like wedding (alcohol following like water), would you go or politely refuse?

I understand how you feel. Sometimes when my gaalo coworkers speak to me, my mind dozes off and it's hard to really form a connection with them. They bore me to death, and don't have the slightest interest in what they have to say. Especially on a Monday morning, when they talk about the parties they were at the previous weekend, how much they drank, girlfriend/boyfriend problems, talking about their cottage up in the woods, talking about the next Led Zepellin concert they want to attend, and a bunch of other topics.

But you really have to deal with this, they are your coworkers, whether you like it or not. You should master the art of feigning interest in convos, that's what I did. When they talk about rock music or some other useless topic, make sure you mind doesn't doze off, and if they invite you to their get-togethers, it's best to show up. Whenever they invite me, I accept the invitation, I show up to the get-together, and then I leave within 30 minutes.

All in all, the whole awkwardness and dullness in dealing with gaalo coworkers can be overcome with hard-work and paying attention. No matter how much they bore you, remember that dealing with them is necessary