Sign in to follow this  
Kulmiye

Do we still need affirmative action in school admissions?

Kulmiye   

Right now the Supreme Court holds the fate of affirmative action in its hands, and things don’t look good. Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin pits a school that believes affirmative action and diversity are key to its mission against a young white woman who failed to get into the university and blames that on the school’s use of race as a factor in the admissions process.

By Touré

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/10/12/why-we-still-need-affirmative-action/#ixzz29al8A1Me

STOIC   

I have a mixed feeling about this issue.I really don't know where I stand.One part of me thinks it is not necessary in this age and time, but if minority students numbers are not far off from the average entering class they should be given the chance. Are minorities capable of competing with their white counterparts in higher education? yes they do if given the right help and tools from the start of high school through college.Both my undergraduate and graduate education I went to predominantly white school (in fact in grad school we were only two black students in a class of 126).The valedictorian in my graduating class was black student who was African.Was he disadvantaged compared to the affluent classmates? yes.Was he a type A personality person.Yes he was, but it is his hard work and drive that made him rise to the top of the class.Everything has a reason and I believe the black minority student who are capable should be given the opportunity to attend graduate school

The state of minorities is appalling but what's even more sick is the the few white people who can not compete for 98% of seats but hanguri ja galay that last two percent. And as someone who attended a school of more then 60k students with less then 3% black people, diversity is the interest of everyone. People in this country are going crazy because of a under 8% unemployment rate, imagine if the whole had the same unemployment rate as black people in this country. Cadan people are greedy beyond imagination, that's the moral of this story.

Affirmative was intended for the underprivileged(mainly African-Americans). By the principles of equality, shouldn't it be based solely on income? Pushing a few students through school to meet quotas isn't going to fix anything. I think Universities are about 10-15 times larger than they should be to begin with, and you can see it in the quality of the student body.

Kulmiye   

To honest, i still think there is need for affirmative action in many places across the country. But i think it should be up to Universities and University presidents & administrations to decide whether that should be a factor in their recruiting process and also look into other appropriate forms in diversifying the campuses.

Maarodi   

Kulmiye;880955 wrote:
To honest, i still think there is need for affirmative action in many places across the country. But i think it should be up to Universities and University presidents & administrations to decide whether that should be a factor in their recruiting process and also look into other appropriate forms in diversifying the campuses.

Like someone said it's best if it's income based and not race based. All people whether they be black, white, Asian, or Latino face many problems that stem from poverty.

Also it would be funny to see how the SC rules on this especially when someone who benefited from AA will rule against it.

Maarodi   

True, however African-American's aren't the only ones that are being disenfranchised. A Black person in an inner-city school faces the same problem as a rural white kid when it comes to academics. What's the problem with income based AA?

The problem is simple, this program was meant to address historical inequality between whites nd black in this country not poor white farmers. Keep in mind however that school do try to admit student from that background as well in their attempt to diversify their campuses. The problem is not poor whites or blacks but putilent little white rich kids who can't compete for 98% of sweats but feel intitled to the the last two.

Maarodi   

Naxar Nugaaleed;881767 wrote:
The problem is simple, this program was meant to address historical inequality between whites nd black in this country not poor white farmers. Keep in mind however that school do try to admit student from that background as well in their attempt to diversify their campuses. The problem is not poor whites or blacks but putilent little white rich kids
who can't compete for 98% of sweats but feel intitled to the the last two.

lol. But how do you address

12_med_students_panel_08__Small_.jpg

Hate to base things on personal experience but I've about ten times more white kids then black kids that made me go "how the heck did they get here". Questionable admission? Perhaps standard tests are a poor indicator of intelligence.

Maarodi   

They get accepted only because a race "quota" has to be fulfilled. There's also a side effect where black kids aren't really sure if they got accepted because of their grades and their level of competitiveness or because of the need to fill a "quota" which isn't a good thing.

Raamsade   

Maarodi;882103 wrote:
They get accepted only because a race "quota" has to be fulfilled. There's also a side effect where black kids aren't really sure if they got accepted because of their grades and their level of competitiveness or because of the need to fill a "quota" which isn't a good thing.

But the history of America is one where White people were given everything not because they were the most qualified but because they were White. That history hasn't adversely affected Whites one iota so why should "filling quota" affect minorities? Do you think G. W. Bush got into Yale based on qualifications?

Sensei   

As it is, it is also said that affirmative action benefits white women more than the black folk it was instituted for to create a level playing field. And to add, race is only one factor among many in obtaining a job or college admission.