Sign in to follow this  
Brother

Is it possible for Muslims to become one Ummah?

Brother   

The Prophet said: 'My ummah will be divided into 73 different groups.'

For this info, I don’t think Muslim countries will never and ever unite because of this hadith and what we see in the Muslim world recently. It is really very sad to know that.

salam... akhi don't dispair.. all we need to worry about is to follow the straight path.. if you follow the qur'an and sunnah and take from the right scholars of this diin and i do the same thing and everybody else then we will be united Insha Allah... islam is not about the quantity but the quality right... let's not look at the number,, it doesn't mean anything.. the Prophet SAW said in the same hadith:" only one of these group will enter into paradise..." and he SAW explained the characteristics of this group in other narrations,,, all we have to do find out what they are and try to acquire them... that's all... akhi.. and don't forget it's our job to call people to the way of Allah SWA... we have to spread the right the messege..

wasalam...

Haddad   

Originally posted by Brother:

For this info, I don’t think Muslim countries will never and ever unite because of this hadith and what we see in the Muslim world recently.

I think some reading of the Islamic history is in order. Throughout the Islamic history, there were periods when Muslims were weak. There was a period when Palestine and other parts of the Islamic world were occupied. There were periods when tens (perhaps hundreds) thousands of Muslims were massacred by the likes of Ghengis Khan. Yet, Muslims regrouped, fought back, and regained their prestige. The track records of the past indicate Muslims will once again unite, insh'Allah. Groups like the Druze, Bahai, Ismaili and others represent a tiny percentage of Muslim world. Some of those groups have existed for centuries, and had no effect on the unison of the Ummah. So, I don't see why one day we (Somalis) and the Indonesians, Malaysians, Gambians, Uighurs, Yemenis, Bosnians, Nigerians, Tanzanians and many other Muslim nationals & ethnicities could unite under one banner.

Yonis   

The Prophet said: 'My ummah will be divided into 73 different groups.'

For this info, I don’t think Muslim countries will never and ever unite because of this hadith and what we see in the Muslim world recently. It is really very sad to know that

Brother, this Hadith is not saying that Muslims will never be able to unite as an ummah, but, I think it says their understandings of Islamic religion and the way they want to follow the Quran and the Sunnah will be different. Therefore, one of these groups will enter the Jannah. By the way, it is possible Muslims to hold the rope of Allah together without looking back their diversity and face their enemy as a one.

salams.. just a comment.. the division that the hadith is talking about is in the "Aqida" 'cause we are not allowed to have differences in the "Aqida".. but in "Fiqh" we are allowed..

wasalam..

FatB   

well said Haddad; and yes, like with every thnk in life the iimaan of the muslim umah will lower at which point we lose our advantage, but when u hit rock bottom there is only one way to go, which is right back up again.

I'm afraid no. We muslims were never united as one ummah, not even in the heydays of islamic supramacy. One of the biggest misconception muslims hold today is that we were united in the past as single Ummah. But where is the evidence for that? I think this is part of the reason why muslim nations are stagnant in terms modernizing and developing like the rest of the world. Our leaders tell us our problems will be solved once we unite as single ummah. The same message is echoed from Imams in mosques. Yet we see no unity forming and continue to lag behind the rest of the world.

Right after the prophet's death (scw), muslims started killing each other. Yes, it is true that in the early days of Islam we were better united then today but not to the extent most muslims think we were. There was never single united Ummah practicing 'perfect' islam. So what reasons do we have to believe there will be one in the future?

Even during one of muslim world's greatest hour, during crusades, some muslims were siding with and aiding the crusaders. Muslims helping the butchering of their fellow muslims. History is replete with other similar instances.

Even us somalis, who are same ppl with same history, culture, tradition and 99% islamic are divided into 100 clans, sub-clans and sub-sub-clans. Is it then, likely that 1.5 billion muslims, or even half of that, with innumberable languages and varying cultures and traditions, will unite as single Ummah?

ISLAM IS PERFECT, MUSLIMS ARE NOT. That is our problem as well as a solution to our problems. We muslims as humans are susceptible to the same human weaknesses that afflict everyone else. We are tempted, seduced and often succumb to power, prestige, greed, jealousy...we shouldn't delude ourselves that we are somehow immune from these human weaknesses.

Human history should be our best guide as to how to get us out of this misery. And human history tells us that we DON'T NEED unity to overcome our problems.

Look at europe's ascendency to influence and power. At one point in history, europe was everything it is not today. Poor, backward, intellectually stagnant, religiously intolerant and economically and culturally underdeveloped. But their rise to power and prominance was achieved while divided. Europeans surpassed the muslim world in every field while they were divided, bickering and warring among themselves, and competing against each other through colonial quests.

In my opinion, what muslims need to do is to persue their selfish interests. Each group of muslims should look after their interests first and formost. In that way, hopefully, they'll overcome their difficulties and challenges and thus strengthen the muslim Ummah as a whole.

Haseena   

Bismill Allah

Salamu Calaykum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatu

My brother, I would like you to give the evidences for your claim that the muslims have never been one ummah, even at its earliest stages.

Indeed after the death of our noble prophet (sallahu caleyhi wa salam) our noble predecceors the sahabas amongst them was Ubaydala Al Jarrah and Omar bin Khattab, they gathered around one leader and the pledges to support this companion chosen as Khalif was made. It was during this time that apostacy increased, the famous dajjal Musaylamah claiming to be a prophet, the diffrent groups who abstained from paying zakah, the pre opening of bysantine etc. He Abu bakr ( radi Allah canh) dealt with the numerous problem that the ummah faced the little period of time he was in power before his death Radia Allah canh.

Even after his death the succesor Umar Bin Khattab another noble companion, reigned with justice and equality and indeed the ummah was one apart from the munafiqeen and in my opinion they can never be among the ummah of Muhammad (sallahi alehi wa salam) and Allah knows best.

Much can be said about the four khalifs and the state of the ummah, yet during the first 2 caliphs the ummah was indeed as one. But diffrences araised during the time of the third khalip Uthamn bin Caffan and the fourth Ali bin abi Talib, Radiallah canhuma. But indeed their difrences was never about aqeedah, and much of the problems could be solved, and at that time the hadiths that we have today was not availabe for the vast majority of the ummah, due to the diffrent narrators being far away from Medinah and etc.

But what we have today amongst us is lack of proper Aqeedah, you will see today in the majority of the muslim countries people who worship graves,awliyas,support the kuffars,ruling with man made laws etc. It is due to these problems that our ummah today are in a state of weakness and humiliation.

But Allxamdulillah, Allah has raised amongst us, people who are pious and who love Allah and his messenger, they are the mujahideen. They are indeed few, but insha Allah, their hearts are filled with Imaan, and how many times have small armies but with believing men win over a supremacy of kufr. Indeed Allah is with them.

What we should do, is not to sit around and wait for a change, indeed Allah Azza Wa Jal does not change the state of the ummah unless they change what is in their hearts. We should all ask our self what have I done for the best of this ummah, and what can I do.

May Allah forgive me if anything that I have said is wrong, and if I have said anything wrong above correct me brothers and sisters in islam. Indeed a muslim is another muslims mirror.

Once again I would like to emphasise the importance and value of the ansar al muslimeen, our noble mujahideen of today, aid them any way you can, with your wealth, your self, or use your tongue propagate for their cause indeed it is for this ummah they bleed. And blood is a must in this case, just look at the history of Islam. The sword must be raised in order to eliminate kufr and hypocricy.

Wa calaykum salam wa raxmatullah wa barakatu

Johnny B   

If "Ummah" means a Universe,or galaxy population which is a unique concept witnessed in the Human civilisation through only religious means , then the answer is simple.

All living human in this universe are one "Ummah", but if ONLY the muslilms among them build a unity then they can ONLY be Mohamed´s "Ummah".I don´t know what you might call the rest

Since Islam just like other religions is subject to human interpretation there can NEVER be One "Ummah".

Personally i beleive Muslims will never unite behind a single size of the "Niqab"´s eye openning in diameters

Bismaillahi..salams all.. one thing we need to keep in mind is that this ummah will never come together on "batil" falsehood... these divisions in islam started after the death of Cuthman may Allah be pleased with him...before his death everybody was on the right belief system... the reason being,, they started to put their head before the qur'an and sunnah... if their mind disagreed with the qur'an ans sunnah they followed their minds... never gave priority to the qur'an and sunnah like the companions did and the salaf of this ummah to this day Alhamdulillah... nowadays how many claim ther are muslims... but if they don't have the right "Aqida",,,right creed.. they are of no use... "Aqida" is somthing that there is no debate about it period....unlike fiqh... so the coming of this ummah together is not by borders but by having the right belief.. the right "creed" only then will come together Insha Allah.. but one thing we have to know.. there are going to be "Ahlul batil" around always...

Wasalam...

Haddad   

Originally posted by Johnny B:

...if ONLY the muslilms among them build a unity then they can ONLY be Mohamed´s "Ummah".

Who dictates can? How you term it Mohamed´s "Ummah" reminds me of the decommissioned Mohammedanism term.

there can NEVER be One "Ummah".

There will be One "Ummah", insh'Allah, and it wouldn't matter the existence of tiny groups within or outside it.

Personally i beleive Muslims will never unite behind a single size of the "Niqab"´s eye openning in diameters

I wouldn't call that a belief; more likely a thought.

Originally posted by Haseena:

Bismill Allah

My brother, I would like you to give the evidences for your claim that the muslims have never been one ummah, even at its earliest stages.

Since this is not math or logic debate, I can't give you a 'prove', I can only provide evidence/s.

Muslims were never united as a single Ummah, if they did can you point out under which caliphate? When I look Islamic history, I see muslim fighting muslims were as frequent and common as muslims fighting non-muslims.

Right after the prophets (pbuh) death, half of his closest and most trusted campanions were killed by other muslims. Arab tribes who prior to the prophet's (scw) death fully embraced islam, revolted and had to be crushed, violently, by Abu Bakr. From Abu Bakr to crusaders time to today, we muslims have been our biggest enemy.

What does this tell us? That we muslims are more violent towards each other than others? I argue not. It only shows that we are humans like all other humans. We'll kill, hate, discriminate and indulge in intercine conflicts. To think that we'll somehow live peacefully and happily one day as united nation is wishful thinking. There is nothing from recent or distant history that gives us any confidence to hold such vision.

But what we have today amongst us is lack of proper Aqeedah, you will see today in the majority of the muslim countries people who worship graves,awliyas,support the kuffars,ruling with man made laws etc. It is due to these problems that our ummah today are in a state of weakness and humiliation.

That is simplistic thinking. If what you list are reasons for muslim problems, then why haven't 1.5 billion muslims figure out how to solve them? Islamic world's decline has been proceeding for a long time now, several centuries at least.

But Allxamdulillah, Allah has raised amongst us, people who are pious and who love Allah and his messenger, they are the mujahideen. They are indeed few, but insha Allah, their hearts are filled with Imaan, and how many times have small armies but with believing men win over a supremacy of kufr. Indeed Allah is with them.

I don't think the problem muslims face is military one. Its social, political, economical, intellectual...military inferiorty with regard to the West exists but its not the biggest problem facing us muslims. If the other listed problems are tackled first, the military strength disparity will slowly disappear.

Once again I would like to emphasise the importance and value of the ansar al muslimeen, our noble mujahideen of today, aid them any way you can, with your wealth, your self, or use your tongue propagate for their cause indeed it is for this ummah they bleed. And blood is a must in this case, just look at the history of Islam. The sword must be raised in order to eliminate kufr and hypocricy.

Which mujahideens? There are hundreds of them today, fighting all over the world. Personally, I'm against violence unless used as last resort. It usually doesn't solve your problems only compounds them and possibly create more enemies and newer sets of problems.

And I certainly wouldn't raise any sword to 'eliminate' any kufrs and 'hypocracy'. Instead of eliminating, we should be building bridges, making friends and showing tolerance and civility towards the rest of the planet's inhabitants. Afterall, we are MINORITY. We must cleanse our hearts from all hatred.

What do you mean by hypocracy? Hypocracy is human trait, you can never 'eliminate' it. It will be with us as long as we are here in this world.

Haseena   

Bismillah

Salamu Calaykum Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatu

Since this is not math or logic debate, I can't give you a 'prove', I can only provide evidence/s.

Insha Allah, I asked for evidence/s

Muslims were never united as a single Ummah, if they did can you point out under which caliphate? When I look Islamic history, I see muslim fighting muslims were as frequent and common as muslims fighting non-muslims.

Right after the prophets (pbuh) death, half of his closest and most trusted campanions were killed by other muslims. Arab tribes who prior to the prophet's (scw) death fully embraced islam, revolted and had to be crushed, violently, by Abu Bakr. From Abu Bakr to crusaders time to today, we muslims have been our biggest enemy.

Without a doubt one cannot argue about the ummah being one when the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam) was among them. But after his death many was stunned and the news of his death seemed something far fetched to many, even Umar farooq ( the living shaheed) couldn’t belive it, he told the people if anyone told him that the prophet ( sallahi alehi wa salam) was dead he would kill them. That was something extraordinary, indeed, the people never could imagine that the noble prophet would leave and depart from them, many thought he would outlive them all. Definitely it left them all in a state of worry and confusion, yet that was not something long lasting.

The Helpers met with the helpers and discussed the Khalif issue, and so did the Emigrants, and they all, came to the conclusion that the Sadeeq was the one most appropriate to be their leader, and they all came to give him their pledges. And indeed the ummah was for this choice, but you know there’s always place for munafiqeen so let us not discuss them. But what happened during his caliphate?

Firstly he carried out the prophets last command, which was: the army of the young Usama bin Zayd should go to Syria the reason can insha Allah be read in the sira. There is no reason for me to go into details about that expedition, I’m just merely pointing what abu bakr did at first hand during his caliphate.

You mentioned above that Abu Bakr, had to suppress the arab tribes who revolted. One must ask one self why this happened. Those arab tribes you are talking about are Bani Asad; Bani Tha'lba; Bani Ghatafan; Banu Marrah Banu Abbas; Banu Dhanayan and others. They during the battle of the trench sided with the quraish and fought against the Muslims. They came to give their pledges when the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam) conquered Makkah, and this was an act of diplomacy and not on the basis of faith as one can see in their actions. It was expected that they would renegate against islam after the death of the leader and prophet (sallahi alehi wa salam) of the muslims. They honoured their pledges and agreements as long as the prophet (sallahi alehi wa salam) was amongst them, but as soon as he departed from the world. The wanted to renew their agreements, by forgoing to pay zakaat and they would be on friendly terms with the people of madiina.

Abu Bakr ( radia Allah anh) remembered how the prophet (sallahu alehi wa salam) dealt with the people of Taif on their request to be relieved of the obligation to offer prayers. How the noble messenger (sallahu alehi wa salam) refused to accept their demands on the basis that he was in no position to modify the command of Allah, as salah being one of the pillars of islam. And Abu Bakr considered the Zakat being a very important command ordained by Islam, and was equated with prayers. Abu Bakr's judgment, therefore, was that under the circumstances he had no option but to refuse the demand of the tribes.

It was on these grounds Abu Bakr refused their demand, and it was due to this the tribes waged war on the Islamic state in medina. They could not stand to pay zakat to medina, and very carelessly left the fold of Islam.

There for my brother to say Abu Bakr waged war on the muslims on the basis that they only revolted is not correct, as he fought apostates. They turned to disbelieve after having believed, by not respecting the demands of Allah and Allah is pleased with Abu Bakr Sadeeq.

What does this tell us? That we muslims are more violent towards each other than others? I argue not. It only shows that we are humans like all other humans. We'll kill, hate, discriminate and indulge in intercine conflicts. To think that we'll somehow live peacefully and happily one day as united nation is wishful thinking. There is nothing from recent or distant history that gives us any confidence to hold such vision.

My brother with all due respect, I don’t know in which history books you read the history of the Muslims. For what I have read and what you are stating are not matching up. Our ummah was one during the time of the 3 calips, things started to go wrong during the time of the third Khalif, and fitnah started for the muslims at that time. Even though there have been disagreements during those Caliphs era, the people was goverened and ruled by one leader and their affair was in his hands.

It is not my brother wishful thinking, its is part of our faith, and part of our belief in the signs prior to the Judgement day i.e. in the coming of Mahdi and Isa (alahi salam). We all should know that, we Insha Allah will be one ummah once again according to the sayings of our prophet (sallahi alehi wa salam).

That is simplistic thinking. If what you list are reasons for muslim problems, then why haven't 1.5 billion muslims figure out how to solve them? Islamic world's decline has been proceeding for a long time now, several centuries at least.

The answer is very simple my brother, not many really want to return to the sunnah of our messenger, many have innovated in this deen of ours, and many is contented with those innovations even though the proof stands firm against them. It is due to these deviations from the right path, Muslims today are in a position of humiliation. There is a hadith which is of this point

In the hadeeth of Hudayfah (ra) in which he said: "The people used to ask the Messenger of Allah (saw) about the good, and I used to ask him about the evil out of fear that it would reach me.

So I asked the Messenger of Allah: "O Messenger of Allah, we were living in ignorance and evil, then Allah brought this good to us. So will there be any evil after this good?"

He replied: "Yes."

I then asked: "Will there be any good after this evil?"

He replied: "Yes, but it will be tainted."

So I asked: "What will be its taint?"

He replied: "A people who guide others to other than my way, you will approve of some of their actions and disapprove of others."

I further enquired: "Then is there any evil after this good?"

He said: "Yes! Callers at the gates of Hell - whoever responds to their call, they will be thrown into the fire."

I then said: " O Messenger of Allah! Describe them to us."

He said: "They will be from our people and speak our language."

I asked: "So what do you order me to do if that reaches me?"

He said: "Stick to the Jamaa'ah (the united body) of the Muslims and their Imam (ruler)."

I further asked: "What if they have neither jamaa'ah or an Imam?"

He said: "Then keep away from all those sects, even if you have to bite upon the roots of a tree, until death reaches you whilst you are in that state." [9]

Which mujahideens? There are hundreds of them today, fighting all over the world. Personally, I'm against violence unless used as last resort. It usually doesn't solve your problems only compounds them and possibly create more enemies and newer sets of problems.

Hundred of them are very little indeed; Muslims are around 1.5 billion, to have only hundred of mujahideen is really a shame on the rest of the Muslim population. Last resort? Muslim blood is spilled everywhere, should you not think this time is the time for action on our behalf?

And I certainly wouldn't raise any sword to 'eliminate' any kufrs and 'hypocracy'. Instead of eliminating, we should be building bridges, making friends and showing tolerance and civility towards the rest of the planet's inhabitants. Afterall, we are MINORITY. We must cleanse our hearts from all hatred.

It is not on the basis of hatred the sword must be raised my brother, I never said that. I am only saying when muslims leave their obligation in jihad they shall suffer humiliation. Jihad is one of the highest levels in worship, and Jihad was legislated to keep the religion of Allah free from errors and to safe guard it. But today there is no jihad, and there is no safe guarding of Islam, today everyone can have a bite of this religion without being reprimanded. And today everyone can oppress and kill the Muslims without being stopped.

What do you mean by hypocracy? Hypocracy is human trait, you can never 'eliminate' it. It will be with us as long as we are here in this world.

With hypocracy in this regard I meant, the so called muslim leaders who side up with the kuffars and who sell their religion for worldly matters and who support kuffar against their brothers. I meant them.

If I have said something wrong insha Allah, I would want you my brothers and sisters in Islam to correct me. Surely this deen of ours is nasiixa and a muslim is another muslims mirror.

wa calaykum salam wa raxmatullah wa barakatu

^^^

you call them Muhajideen we call them terrorists,

we can even unite on that.....

These people who are the champions of the emotionaly fragile muslims target innocent people who go to work, and we are to believe they are raising the word of Allah?

As_salamu alaykumm

WOuld you consider Alqaida MUhajadeen?

would you consider Shia HIzbullah muhajideeen?

would you consider 9/11 jihad?

would you consider the london bombin jihad?

the Riyad bombin jihad?