A test in VALUES-WHAT IS MODERN?

Khayr   

Salaamz,

I just wanted to inshallah shed some light

to something.

This might be in the Wrong Forum b/c

the Islamic Forum is mostly a forum full of

'Thank You Brother/Sister' and it usually

stops at that when it comes to discussions.

But here goes anyways,

what do you nomads define as MODERN CONCEPT/IDEA???

and By Modern, most people equate it

with the New Age.

I'll give u an example

and you tell me whether this is

MODERN OR in line with TRADITIONAL.

This statement:

"I am very spiritual even though I might occassionally attend the oscars and globes (b/c of my job) and have a drink or two with people during business meetings"

Is this person

MODERN

OR

TRADITIONAL

Modesty   

Salaam,

Modern.I think that statement is modern. My defin. of modern is innovation, such as technological, clothing,and societal values. Alcohol is a modern concept of modernity, although it's wrong, that fits my concept of Modern.

However, speaking Islamically, tradition and modernity don't describe Islam, Islam is in its own category. But, good modernity and traditions(eg. cultural dress, or foods)don't invalid Islam.

:cool:

Khayr   

My defin. of modern is innovation, such as technological, clothing,and societal values

Salaamz,

You know not to knock some people down

but how come Saliffya's and their Ulama

never say something is an Innovation in

areas like Technology, clothing, societal values etc.

Bida/Innovation is only seen by some muslims

when it relates to something that other muslims are doing in their masjids.

As if the Deen doesn't permeate(run through out) our lives and everything around us effects our

Deen, cause after all Islam is a WAY OF LIFE, RIGHT?

Now u didn't answer the question about my first example.

Can you actually be a Modern Muslim

or are the two (Modernity) and Islam

OPPOSITES?

i dont think there is a modern muslim or a traditional muslim , and if a person drinks occasionally i cant call them a non muslim but allah knows what they are, all i know is Drinking is Haraam. Islam does not change and there is no revised version of the quran ,so there is no modern or traditional islam, to me Islam is islam .there is no version of it .it says constant

Rahima   

ASC,

Personally i believe it is an issue of relativity. Modern as compared to whom? or traditional as compared to whom?

Even more complicating is the issue of what makes one modern and what makes one traditional? Therefore this is a grey area, i suppose you could argue successfully either way.

As for the question of can a Muslim be modern? Yes why not? But only if we look at it from a linguistic point of view (e.g. a Muslim can use technology) and it doesn’t penetrate their practice and understanding of Islam for Islam exceeds this whole concept. Islam breaks the barriers of time for it is for all times, therefore the Islam of 1400 years ago is the Islam of today. We cannot modernise it for Allah has perfected our religion for us and has chosen Islam for us. So looking at it from this aspect, the issue of Islam and modernity becomes irrelevant.

You know not to knock some people down

but how come Saliffya's and their Ulama

never say something is an Innovation in

areas like Technology, clothing, societal values etc.

Akhi you are confusing the difference between the linguistic definition of Bidca and the Sharica definition. What is xaraam is the shariica definition of Bidca for Rasuallah said "wa kula bicatin dalaala, wa kula dalaalatin fin naar". There is no harm in for example technological innovations, therefore since these Culamaa are speaking of religious affairs it's natural that we assume and understand that they are speaking of innovations to the religion. And yes ALL innovations to the religion are xaraam; these are not my words but the words of the blessed prophet s.c.w.

Xafsa   

Modern -Of or relating to recent times or the present: modern history.

Characteristic or expressive of recent times or the present; contemporary or up-to-date: a modern lifestyle; a modern way of thinking.

Of or relating to a recently developed or advanced style, technique, or technology: modern art; modern medicine.

````````````````````````````````````````````````

In my humble opionion you can be modern in many different aspects of your life. It can be used to discribe the way you talk, the type of car you drive, your home furnishings, your ideals as far as technology or edcuation. But when it comes to Islam how does the term MODERN fit in?....you can't innovate islam nor can you re-develope it...just follow it as it is. Because Allah is all knowing he has made this religion followable(word?) in every time be it the 17th century or the 21st century.

As for your previous comment about Being spiritual and drinking....thats not being modern...thats purely a comment meant to make oneself feel good about the wrong they are committing.