Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The reer-Hebel fight-back against Sayid Mohamed: It could have been a poem, but it is a book

Abtigiis   

Well, I for one do not think the Sayid was a saint. Far from it, there are many unsettling tales about him as much as there are many positive sides. His poems could not have been contrived for the consumption of post-colonial Somalia. They were real reactions, real thoughts to the events of their times. So, it is futile to deny the mad mullah was a brave anti-colonial nationalist. Unless we are fond of the total vilification or total adulation simplicity which Tacitus warns against when narrating the legacy of fallen historcial figures, it is hard to take the new book on Sayid by a Somalilander as a breakthrough.

There are lots of better revisionist books on the Sayid and the Dervish by more established Somali historians. Yet, there is one commonality in the narratives of all these books: they are written by angry men, and anger makes people make mistakes. While it is fine to re-write the true history of the Sayid, exposing his blemishes while acknowledging his triumphs and good deeds, it is not helpful to churn out vengeful literature which can serve no purpose other than buttress the bruised egos of communities that feel wronged by the Sayid.

I for one do not like the Sayid's attitude to SNM clan. It is primitive, it is unbecoming of a nationalist. But it is also true the SNM clan has been an ally of British colonialists and as much as we understand the SNM-clans's grieviences against The Sayid, we also find it hard to forgive the lackey mentality on the part of the SNM clan! Speaking of historical facts, that the Sayid was a killer is a fact, that the said clan were british subjects who accepted british colonialism is also a fact.

So, the new book is just yet another fightback by a clan tormented by the vile labels of the Sayid. It could have been a poem, and I am sure there is no lack of talent in that department. It could have been a drama or demonstrations, but now it is a book. I saw Jaamac saying the book is not written for you folks to one guy. He is right. The book isn't written to impart new knowledge on the Sayid. It is merely a wriiten version of the bile and bitterness that the SNM'ites express everyday when the name of Ina-Cabdille Hassan is invoked. As such, it is a book written for a particular clan. Let that clan enjoy it!

Carafaat   

The book isn't written to impart new knowledge on the Sayid. It is merely a wriiten version of the bile and bitterness that the SNM'ites express everyday when the name of Ina-Cabdille Hassan is invoked. As such, it is a book written for a particular clan. Let that clan enjoy it!

You have the Kacaan history books. Every man his own history books.:)

Abtigiis   

I don't have to read it. I know what the clan says about the sayid and the "facts" they use as evidence.

But are you disputing it is a reer-hebel fight back??

NGONGE   

Abtigiis;873409 wrote:
I don't have to read it. I know what the clan says about the sayid and the "facts" they use as evidence.

But are you disputing it is a reer-hebel fight back??

It's a BOOK not Mooge's maqaaxi chats, saaxib. As such, and regardless of the critic's own preconceptions, it has to be reviewed according to the normal literary rules. Funnily enough, this is more or less your complaint against the author himself.

I've already said it on the other thread (the one before the one comparing the Sayid to the prophet); your concern here should be about the content of the book itself and the conclusions of the author. In fact, do we even know what he decided in the end? Is the Sayid a sheikh..err..mise?

Trying to judge historical personalities is never about "right" or "wrong". It is all about the arguments of the historians and the facts available to them. For example, can those accusing the Sayid of not being a Somali hero present enough evidence that would overwhelm all the things that made people consider him a hero? Can the opposite be true?

Such books, whilst not a "breakthrough" as you say, do help take us towards the ultimate "truth" about the man.

p.s.

reer hebel did not write the book, a man wrote.

Abtigiis   

Adeer, social research is a manipulated facility and you get as many "facts" as you need to arrive at a preset conclusions. Luckily, there is no such thing as 'truth' in social science and however tidy, no matter how reasonable, new findings about a historical figure or anything else for that matter will still remain an 'opinion' or at best a plausible conclusion.

NGONGE   

^^ This would apply to your take on things as much as that of this book's author. In other words, waxa ii maad sheegin. :D

Abtigiis   

Still, the degree of plausibility matters in terms of forming the majority opinion on historical events or personalities. In that regard, this reer-hebel book will struggle to convince many readership outside the clan to change their opinion about the Sayid. In other words, nothing changes sidaad sheegtay!

NGONGE   

^^ Which brings us back to my original question; have you read the book and saw what conclusions the man drew? :D

As for those that read the book, one would hope that they would have less prejudice than you and (at least) try to view it with an open mind (as with any similar book). Sheeko maqaaxida ka bax ninyaho (Kenya has been bad to you).