Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The cause for the failure of the union of Somaliland and Somalia

Somalia   

You are twisting it again, I am saying that he was prominent that's all not due to his background but belief, why do you have to turn corners Xaaji? People such as yourself would never have wanted NFD to be part of Somalia because you believe Somaliland's secessionist ambitions would be thwarted and newly founded state invading another would have ruined our image. Just like Mr Cigaal undermined our people's ambitions for unification you today are doing the same.

That's why we were part of the non-aligned movement, people think close ties with big powers will make you more powerful but it eventually breaks you when they are finished with you.

But we should never have signed any agreements with the Kenyans, how can one sign an agreement over what's yours? If the Somali Republic was never overthrown it is a possibility that O/gaden could have been part of Somalia in 1991.

^^ You are comparing apples to oranges the 1960s to present day, in the 60s the dream of uniting the Somali territories was much a live in Somaliland i think every single person from Somaliland wanted at that time that NFD should've been free of Jommo kenyattas rule. The sole reason that speeded up he unity of Somaliland and Somalia in 1960 was due to the anglo Abyssinian agreement when the Brits decided to give the hawd and reserve area to Ethiopia. Ethnic Somalilanders were divided because of that agreement and the only way to get back the lost territory is if one has an alliance with Somalia. The NFD was not part of Somalia but it was a province inhabited by Ethnic Somalis now Somalis in the sixties tried supporting the shiffta rebels it didn't work negotiations it didn't work either. A war would've helped a similar war the Somali republic waged against Ethiopia in 1977.

Kulmiye   

10 page essay without a bibliography or hardly any sources and he wants to explain and convinced people to understand the reason behind Somali-land and Somalia brake up? MAXAMED CUMAR would get a big F in my HISTORY CLASSES.

Carafaat   

Haatu;880575 wrote:
Well I wasn't there but I used to hear people talk about this. Back then I thought it was just a rumour until I came across an article talking about this which lead me to suspect the guy.

Haatu, care to share this article?

Bullshit. Somali union has never failed. Some gangs supported by a minority of one sectarian group had taken advantage of the inner fighting of the majority groups in what has become to be known as the Somali civil war that has been going on, in an off-and-on-again fashion, for the last twenty-two years. These outlaws have taken hostage few cities in the northwest of the country and because there has been no effective central government they unilaterally declared themselves as the leaders of independent country. That action itself is treason by all the standards of the existing members of the family of nations on the planet. When sovereignty of a nation is challenged by armed gangs, treason is punishable by death. The constitution of the Somali Republic has never ceased and has never been folded to be thrown to dustbin. The will of the world represented by the policies and actions of the U.N. sees the Somali Republic as a nation-state whose sovereignty can not be bended by any force in the world. So the ignorant person who wrote the above garbage has to, first, tell where and when Somalia was broken up.....

Carafaat   

The constitution of the Somali Republic has never ceased and has never been folded to be thrown to dustbin. The will of the world represented by the policies and actions of the U.N. sees the Somali Republic as a nation-state whose sovereignty can not be bended by any force in the world

Which constitution? The Federal constitution that was adopted few months ago by 4.5 clan members. :D