Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Routine Cruelty: Africa Thieves Burning

So far, the media turns a blind eye on what is the single most disturbing routine act of cruelty: the torture or burning alive of "thieves" which is almost seen as normal in some places.

I can not fathom why does the Kenyan government allow routine "panga" hacking, burning alive etc instead of making a ban on such levels of savagery as the top national priority.

Warning: this is an extraordinarily shocking video as two young unsuspecting, tied suspects are suddenly burnt down.

http://vimeo.com/29606116

I have seen one of those in the 90's when i lived there. It was brutal. They beat him up first, than throw a tire around his neck and light him up. It was nasty. On a side note, i see they are moving away from those crappy cellphone footage.

Malika   

They have been doing that in most cities in East Africa for as long as I can remember - inhumane and a savage act. It matters not what the thief has stole, as soon as someone shouts 'mwizi - tuug' the public go wild, chasing the thief, when caught he might as well say his 'shahada' - they will beat him senseless, bricks, pipes and whatever can be found will be used at the end - they burn them alive..subhanallah.

I will never forget seeing this guy being beaten up, some where using cemented bricks on him - for stealing clothes hanged outside a house. Africans can be so inhumane.

Wadani   

So what happens if you happen to be promenading through a nairobi market one morning minding your own business, when all of a sudden a person, who may have a serious bone to pick with u, starts pointing at u yelling 'mwizi, mwizi' at the top of their lungs?

Will these barbarians even make any efforts to ascertain your guilt before beating you senseless and mercilessly engulfing you in flames? I doubt the ensuing mob mentality coupled with a culture that has normalized savagery allows for such lucid moments in rational thinking.

Jacpher   

Inaa lilaahi wa inaa ileyhi raajicuun. Burning someone alive? Wax wuxu xoolo ka daran. Damiira iyo bini-aadanimo ma jirto. Shockingly no one steps in to assist or put off the fire. I used to hear it all the time but never knew it to be this cruel and inhumane.

First time I am hearing of this so called 'mob justice', not surprised savage Africans there is no checks or balances. Another reason why I could never go back. By the way, I don't have enough guts to watch the video it maybe too gruesome and grotesque.

Carafaat   

I once saw a mob in Hargeysa chasing a guy who has tried to use 'magic'(sixir) on a girl. They brought him to the police station.

:D

Carafaat;866106 wrote:
I once saw a mob in Hargeysa chasing a guy who has tried to use 'magic'(sixir) on a girl. They brought him to the police station.

:D

HaHaHa. Intuu kacarari Iahaa...waxaa fiicneed inuu ayaga dhan sixro uu JINIYO kuwada rido. :)

Wadani;865938 wrote:
So what happens if you happen to be promenading through a nairobi market one morning minding your own business, when all of a sudden a person, who may have a serious bone to pick with u, starts pointing at u yelling 'mwizi, mwizi' at the top of their lungs?

WeII that's when you RUN. :)

Apophis;866232 wrote:
NO, that's a bad idea, you stand your ground and confront the accuser, that's less suspicious than running.

WeII good Iuck trying to reason with an angry mob. I have seen what pack mentality couId turn people into doing.