Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Things you wish you'd been told/taught as a child/teenager?!

Are there any things that you sometimes think: damn! I wish I had been told/had known that growing up?

I do. There are certain small essential lessons in life that were left out lol. would've saved me a lot of hassle.

aero   

I wish I got a good old hardy discussion with my parents about the birds and the bees before being thrown into a cage of lions inside a sex ed. classroom. Boy were people surprised at how naive I was. I still remember how horrified and gobsmacked I felt to the point that I thought whatever that was just taught to me can't possibly be true. Someone must've been pulling a prank on me and the rest of my classmates. I know it's taboo in our culture but a little education doesn't hurt. Plus, if God blesses me with children, I'd rather have them hear it from me instead qof kale.

Narniah   

When people say 'You can tell me, I won't tell it to anyone, your secret is safe with me, I will take it with me to my grave' Don't believe it even if it's the person you trust the most. Sooner or later they will tell it someone. So don't tell people things you don't want others to know cause one day they will pass it on.

Haatu   

Also to add on to what Narniah just said, don't trust anyone other than when you have to. Growing up in the West and being surrounded by people from all corners of the world, I thought I could trust Somalis more than others as a kid. Boy was I wrong.

Narniah;856409 wrote:
When people say 'You can tell me, I won't tell it to anyone, your secret is safe with me, I will take it with me to my grave' Don't believe it even if it's the person you trust the most. Sooner or later they will tell it someone. So don't tell people things you don't want others to know cause one day they will pass it on.

i agree! somalis are not reliable, trustworthy and are very foolish in their value in terms of what frienship is or ought to. they cannot be taken serious. their friendships are usually reliant upon some type of tangible return.

Raamsade   

A lot of things but I'm strapped for time. Suffice to say no one every alerted me to how weird and strange women are. Women never seem to forget anything. They remember everything including the trivial no matter how long ago. Like this lass who one time started badgering me for forgetting to take out the garbage 5 months ago. Who the hell remembers such trivial oversight 5 months later? And then there are other eccentricities like crying when they're happy. How messed up is that? It is the polar opposite of what I thought was healthy and proper display of emotion as a kid: you cry when you're sad and laugh/smile when happy.