Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

Timbuktu shrine destruction 'a war crime

ailamos   

ElPunto;847544 wrote:
Why? Why is it enraging to you on a personal level?

Why wouldn't it be? Let's erase the past and start afresh, shall we?

Not sentimental person or put much emphasis on the history or the importance of these shrines. What's important this detracts from everything else. People need good governance and economic development not shrine smashers.

ElPunto   

Not at all. I just love all these folks who couldn't give a rat's azz previously about Timbuktu and its shrines or the Buddhas in Afghanistan going into fits when some angry Moslemz go on the rampage. You can't help but suspect it's just another bat to bash Muslims and Islam.

ElPunto   

ailamos;847548 wrote:
Why wouldn't it be? Let's erase the past and start afresh, shall we?

No specifically - I am very interested in what your personal reasons are for being enraged at the destruction of monuments that have little or no personal connection to you.

N.O.R.F   

The Telegraph *coughs*

Were the shrines places where people went to ask the dead 'saints' to be their intermediary with God?

ailamos   

ElPunto;847550 wrote:
Not at all. I just love all these folks who couldn't give a rat's azz previously about Timbuktu and its shrines or the Buddhas in Afghanistan going into fits when some angry Moslemz go on the rampage. You can't help but suspect it's just another bat to bash Muslims and Islam.

So you're implying that the news media are exaggerating this so as to make Muslims look bad? You're saying the Islamic community should not feel outraged and condemn these acts so as to show unity in the face of widespread Islamophobia?

ailamos   

N.O.R.F;847554 wrote:
The Telegraph *coughs*

LOL, the BBC, Al Jazeera, Al Ahram, The National ... take your pick ;-)

Somalia   

It portrays Islam as an intolerant religion, that's why one is against it ElPunto. This is history being destroyed.

ElPunto   

^I'm not saying they are or not exaggerating. Nor am I saying what it is the 'Islamic community' should feel. I am amused that newspapers like the Telegraph purport to 'care' about the destruction of the heritage of Timbuktu and what not. So much so that this news is being trumpeted across a whole bunch of media that have never ever printed the word Timbuktu in their annals ever.

Everyday across so many parts of the world - historical and heritage sights are destroyed or demolished - it's amazing that when Muslims do it it gets so much coverage.

Yes - Norf - but it doesn't give them the right to destroy them still. Nor does it add to their political cause. This requires education and time to change this errant mentality.