Sign in to follow this  
Mario B

Somali leaders approve draft constitution!

Mario B   

Friday, June 22, 2012

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) - Somalia's political leaders have approved a draft constitution the U.N. says was almost seven years in the making.

Somalia is undergoing several political transitions over the next two months, including the adoption of the constitution by an assembly of elders, the voting in of a new parliament and the election of a new president by the lawmakers. Those steps must take place before Aug. 20.

Somali leaders on Friday approved the draft constitution. The president, prime minister and four other leaders signed the document at a meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.

Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali said the constitutional is only provisional until Somali citizens can vote on it. The country's security situation doesn't yet allow for such a nation-wide vote.

Source: AP

Marksman   

This is great news if true. And the media ( I'm a paranoide guy) keeps on sharing positive news from the motherland.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know if Somalia will become a secular country or not? Or will it be an Islamic state? Can anyone enlighten me? There is much vagueness about this.

[somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali said the constitutional is only provisional until Somali citizens can vote on it. The country's security situation doesn't yet allow for such a nation-wide vote.]

no one will be given the chance to vote or it be manipulated,,that's gona be there for a life time whether good or bad.

it's easier to approve but much harder to alter.Good luck...

@marksman...somalia is already secular country except few enclaves run by shabab.I don't think anyone would be able to change that...just look at puntland & somaliland,same as we were for millenia.