Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Portugal: euro2012 champions

NGONGE   

Abtigiis;846185 wrote:
It is sad! But Spain were the better side! No disgrace for portugal. They were more than a match!

Spain were only the better side once their manager realised he needed width and brought on Navas & Pedro. For the rest of the game, Ronaldo's boys were head and shoulders above anything that Spain could offer. They congested the middle, cut off the passes and made sure that Alba was doing more defending than attacking. Mutinho was miles better than any player on that field (though Ramos wasn't that far behind).

It was a good tactical game that meant both teams cancelled each other's strengths (for the most part) and the shoot out was nothing but luck. Your dark horses did good warya (though, of course, it's easy to pick a dark horse once they're in the quarters). :P

Abtigiis   

Portugal showed how to stop Spain's Tiki-Tak football, but they managed to do that only because they have technically good players. England can copy the strategy but they cannot do it because their players cannot keep the ball!

I now fancy Italy to win the cup! I am confident they will beat Germany, but against Spain (after spain's moral boost last night), it is hard to think Italy will contain them!

People were booing the Spainsh (mostly) when they try to keep the ball with their usual 5 meter passes, but I think that is unfair. Spain cannot rush the ball if 9 men are parked in front of their goal! Those also should be booed! I felt Spain managed to play with a bit of pace because Portugal did not park before their goal! people should give the spanish a break, and start booing chelsea and England type of football!

Spain was rattled only in the first half with the portuguese (sp) ensuring that Spaniards did not get into their usual pass the ball rhythm and wear down the opponents until an opening opens ups. Everyone marked their man – but more importantly ran into them to enforce that they made mistakes by doing the unthinkable for the Spaniards; long passes.

However – the Spaniards begin to find their calmness during the second half and agree with Ngonge the Spanish substitutions Navas & Pedro brought width and more important speed to the game. That is why during the extra time – the spaniards finally found their rhythm once again and could have won.

All round much better football then those two former colonists of Somalia – even the results were the same.

Spain Vs Germany in the finally – that should be the game – Italian to be beaten to forth by the Portuguese.

P.s. - Abtigiis - stay away from predictions - you are terrible at it.

Abtigiis   

I was one penalty away from getting it right! :D

But then I think football is unpredictable and even the pundits I watch on TV before the games start, always get it wrong. It is not like you are asked who will win between Man U and Stoke at Old Trafford. When the two playing teams are close, like Italy and Germany, it is going to be 50-50 and predictions hardly work.

First half just finished.

Italy 2 - 0 Germany.

Boletelli scored twice, Itlay is domination the game with Pirlo running around the German difference.