Sign in to follow this  
DoctorKenney

Is Somalia's Problems too Deep-Rooted to achieve meaningful peace?

Al Shabaab is losing ground against the forces of AMISOM and the TFG everyday. Mogadishu is undergoing a transformation as a commercial city. The TFG's Mandate expires in August with the establishment of a permanent government afterwards.

All these facts seem to be pointing towards a positive future for the Somali people.

HOWEVER, when I look at what's happening in Somalia I am often reminded of what happened in Rwanda, when people were killing each other due to tribal/ethnic differences. Rwanda has since transformed and is now amongst the fastest-growing economies in Africa, with relatively low corruption and a low crime rate.

But Rwanda's transformation took off when national reconciliation took place, where the different tribes of Rwanda admitted their faults, and resolved to avoid such an incident from ever happening again.

I don't see the same happening in Somalia today. I don't see any form of national reconciliation taking place, or anyone admitting wrongdoing over the many atrocities committed during the last 21 years. Although the crimes which have occurred in Somalia are well documented, people are still too petty to take the first steps in healing Somalia's deep wounds. We are all guilty for the chaos which Somalia had to endure for the last 21 years, but there seems to be too much finger-pointing, instead of genuine reconciliation.

Do you believe that without some sort of National Reconciliation Process taking place, peace in Somalia would be impossible? No one is ready to admit their faults, and some even try to justify the crimes committed by their kin-folk.

Sure we could have peace in 1 or 2 years. But if Somalia attains peace in 2014, but then goes back into civil war in 2025, then what's the point? Are the problems in Somalia so deep-rooted that sustainable peace won't be achieved for another 20 years?

This has been bothering me for a long time, so I had to get this off my chest.

^^ In Somalia the civil war of tribes is long over you are living in the early 90s there is no real proper reconciliation conference needed for long lasting peace to be reached.Puntland is a peaceful entity galmudug is peaceful so is ximan iyo xeeb aswj and Mogadishu.The problem with Somalia is people can't agree on the type of governance because there is huge distrust among the people. And some people/ politician or elders are paranoid that if they don't determine their own future they will be abused by bigger and stronger entities of the country. Somalis lived like this before modern Somali statehood prior 1884 before colonialism.

If Al Shabaab fades and becomes irrelevant, there will exist a power vacuum, and this could re-introduce clan-based militias vying for power. This could spill out of control and we can have a repeat of the early 1990's.

Peace can be attained, but the question is: Will this be meaningful peace? REAL Peace, REAL Reconciliation

reconciliation can start after there is relative peace. in rwanda many people who committed crimes came forward and asked for forgiveness and in some cases to pay for their crimes. i really doubt any somali warlord would do that. in fact somalis would defend a criminal because they are from the same clan.

after 21 years of civil war we still haven't realized the evil of qabil.

btw i have been to rwanda and its amazing how they have rebuilt. there is large somali community there. its amazing country.

And that's the problem with Somalia that deeply disturbs me!

People are willing to support a man, even if he is a criminal, JUST because of his tribe! I've seen former Al-Shabaab members step forward and admit their faults, but I hardly see warlords stepping forward and admitting their crimes.

There is little sense of Pan-Somali Nationalism amongst many of the Somalis I've met.