Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Somalia could emerge as key tourism market(by the UN).

Daily News / East Africa / News / Somali

Somalia could emerge as key tourism market

by IndepthAfrica | Posted on Monday, June 11th, 2012

SOMALIA could give its Eastern Africa neighbours a run for their money in tourism business if its internal conflict and piracy problems are contained, a UN report on regional sustainable tourism shows. The report by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa titled a study on the challenges and opportunities for tourism development says the country has the largest coastal belt in Africa, architectural heritage and beautiful pristine beaches that are great for tourism.

The report which was compiled last year but released officially last week however notes that war, perceptions of poor governance and islamic fundamentalism and piracy have hampered the development of Somalia as a tourism destination. “Somalia tourism also includes the landmark of Shanghai old city. Presently controlled by the warlords and the wealthy businessmen, the city is known for its scenic beauty and the old architectural heritage,” states the report in part. “Another most sought after sightseeing spot in Somalia tourism is the Sinbusi beach, which is situated about five kilometres away from the city of Merca.”

The report lists some of the key untapped tourism business opportunities like eco-tourism, culture and cruise; expansion of air and water transportation; fairly modern and affordable ICT infrastructure. Relative stability in Somaliland and Puntland have also been listed as major entry areas in the exploitation of Somalia’s tourism business. By virtue of offering similar tourist attractions, the report recommends a unified approach to Eastern Africa’s tourism development under the umbrella of a regional integration. It further suggests the development of of an Eastern Africa tourism master plan.

Adoption of an open skies policy in which even low budget airlines can easily operate flights within the region’s countries and adoption of a single tourist visa have also been proposed to drive growth for the sector. “This (single tourist visa) approach will enable free movement of tourists within the region. This is expected to be beneficial to new destinations in East Africa as they could leverage on the markets of the more mature destinations,” the report says.

Kenya which mostly markets itself as a safari and beach destination has faced fierce competition from its East African neighbours Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda as a result of some cases of insecurity. Tanzania and Uganda were even named as among the top 45 places to visit in the world in 2012 whereas Kenya was missing from the ranking despite having almost similar attractions. The country’s war on the al Shabaab which was sparked by tourist kidnap cases at the Coast has freed several towns in Somalia from the terror group’s raid with reports of normalcy returning to some parts of Somalia.

TAGS Africa newsAfrican newsAl-ShabaabEast AfricaIndepth Africa MagazineIndepthAfricaKenyaMercaSomaliaTanzaniaUganda

Related News

http://indepthafrica.com/news/east-africa/somalia-could-emerge-as-key-tourism-market/

Chimera   

We have the most pristine beaches in Africa, Somalia is known as a Bird's watcher's Paradise. We have sand dunes that could be used for various Motorsports, we have mountains that could be climbed by back-packers, we have two large rivers and a long coastline where amazing water-sport tournaments could be established. We have the most amount of castles, fortresses and old cities in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I told you this conflict is MADNESS, we should be making BIG MONEY!

LGoW9.jpg?1

Chimera   

Mogadishu tourism: From world's most dangerous city to Somalia's seaside gem?

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Erin Conway-Smith

Mogadishu, long feared as the (unofficial) World's Most Dangerous City, is forging a new reputation: beachfront paradise.

So say journalists who have visited the seaside Somali capital in recent months, and left raving about Mogadishu's beautiful Indian Ocean beaches, fresh lobster and entrepreneurs returning to open restaurants and hotels. --

ElPunto   

Nice. But we need a new model of tourism apart from naked ppl and alcohol like Kenya coast or Carribean.

70506893.jpg

North of Mogadishu

Marksman   

What kind of new model were you thinking of? Naked people are only on specific beaches around the world and very much limited. This will not be alloud in Somalia. And alcohol can be served to non Muslims in hotels and restaurants etc. Drinking alcohol on the streets is forbidden in most Western European countries. For instance, one cannot walk and drink alcohol and show an open bottle in public. It's all about the public order.

hotels on beach serve those need quench their thirst.Drinking & swimming is deadly combination anyway,few people do in the west.What's important is clean beaches with shark nets and well managed transportation system..

ElPunto   

Marksman;842107 wrote:
What kind of new model were you thinking of? Naked people are only on specific beaches around the world and very much limited. This will not be alloud in Somalia. And alcohol can be served to non Muslims in hotels and restaurants etc. Drinking alcohol on the streets is forbidden in most Western European countries. For instance, one cannot walk and drink alcohol and show an open bottle in public. It's all about the public order.

Bikinis are naked from the Muslim persepective - I wasn't talking about naturist beaches. A man or woman in a thong or the like and with all their parts dangling or visible is naked despite whatever 'clothing' he or she may have. Alcohol cannot be served by Muslims to non-Muslims. What you mean is that non-Muslims may consume alcohol in a Muslim country - but it begs the question who will serve it them in a Muslim country? If so called Muslims do serve it - it's totally xaram income. Drinking alcohol on the streets in Western Europe is forbidden? Huh? So all those people sitting outside on patios all over are not really drinking alcohol but something that resembles it?

The model is Muslim beach tourism. Why can't Muslims take advantage of their coastlines and swim and play without seeing naked ppl, alcohol consumption and other immodest behaviours? There are 1 billion Muslims out there - who are a big potential market that would be a good fit for the endless beaches of Somalia and our culture/religion. It is up to us to devise a new model that caters to these folks and would result in xalaal income and prosperity for Somalis.

Marksman   

I'm all for well managed transportation systems. I have been to many countries and I'm always amazed at how it can be improved. Cities in Somalia should not be crowded and with many traffic jams. With about 9 million people in a huge country I don't see a reason for it.

Everyone, just a question here. What is the coat of arms and motto of Mogadishu and other cities in Somalia? For instance the motto for Amsterdam is Heroic, Determined, Compassionate.

Amsterdam_wapen.svg

I also love positive messages throughout cities. It should inspire the locals and tourists. Let's start thinking of using some beautiful messages and reminders that could be shown throughout Mogadishu (and other cities). Any suggestions?

God is Beautiful and loves beauty

Seek knowledge even if you have to go as far as China, for seeking knowledge is a duty on every Muslim

Educate a girl and you educate a community

I hope to see positive and more equal representation and contribution of women in the future Somalia. And this being communicated all throughout all of the society. I'm not sure, but I hear many Somali women and girls in Somalia lack confidence because some do not have the space to show their full potential and skills. In sports, education, science etc.

I know we are technically still a broken country with no good governance and there are many reasons for this mentality. But without the full capacity of our human capital and resources we cannot break this cycle of destruction.

Let us change this mentality and let us show the amazing potential of our human capital. Both men and women.

Chimera   

Elpunto, we could attract Muslim groups like the Kazakhs, Qataris, Kuwaitis who are known for their spending power, and none of their lakes or sea coasts can compare to ours. Tourism in Somalia doesn't have to be just about beach-culture, we could rehabilitate our national parks, and import animal-cubs and breed healthy wild-life populations. We could promote the natural beauty of our mountains and the unique species of Birds found in the country.

As for alcohol and the other stuff, why not have that on one of the Bajuni Islands, where nobody really lives? I'm personally determined to start a surf-club in Mogadishu, and attract surfers from Japan to Australia. :D

Marksman   

You can drink alcohol on patio's, but for instance here in Amsterdam one cannot drink it standing. Lol. I was just talking about people walking around in the streets with bottles with alcohol that are open. That is forbidden. That is indecent in pretty much in every country. I'm not saying it's fully illegal, but it is forbidden. Law officers may fine that person.

ElPunto   

^That sounds fine Chimera except about the Bajuni Islands being uninhabited etc. But with 3000 km plus of coast - beach tourism is the obvious strength.

The surf club is a good idea. But make sure it has space for everyone even Somali woman. Check out this poor girl - there are probably millions like her who would love a place to surf and go to the beach without issues.

Gaza's girl surfer battles pollution and prejudice

Sabah Abu Ghanim, 12, says she is encouraging her friends to join her in making the most of Palestine's blockaded coastline

Sabah sometimes senses disapproval of her activities from some conservative Gazans. "There is a difference [between boys and girls]. When we are swimming in the sea and men see us, they are very surprised. They tell us to get out."

"When I am older, my society refuses to allow me to surf. It's shameful. I will keep surfing until then, and then I will have to stop. I will be sad," she says.

Once, she says, her 16-year-old sister to come to the beach to watch her surf. "I found her sad. I said, 'You keep wishing to go back to the old days because then you could surf and swim.' She said, 'I wish those days would return.'"

Her mother and aunts sometimes come to the beach to swim "if no one is around. But if others start to arrive, they get out and go home. We don't want people to talk about us."

But, for now, Gaza's surfer girl is riding the waves. "People are proud of us. They say, 'This is the first time we saw a girl who knows how to surf.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/29/gaza-girl-surfer-pollution-prejudice

Marksman   

I'm calling on the bird watchers! You could not believe how much people spend just to see some birds trekking. And we have rare birds in Somalia as well.

Chimera   

Elpunto, this me, the guy nicknamed ''Feminist Farax'' for his pro-Somali women views, remember? :D

I have another brilliant idea, lakiin I won't share it because if there is one stereotype that is true about Somalis; its that they're business-savvy, and I don't want someone else to snatch it lol.

These are interesting times brothers.