Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Mogadishu Youth Volunteers

Chimera   

At a total of 200 volunteers, these youth are high school and college students who grew up in Mogadishu while faced with civil war and the threat of al shabaaab. After shabaab withdrew from the city, some of the young people from different districts started working together and were surprised by how much they could accomplish. The group quickly grew and became more sophisticated in organization, capable of taking on large projects. It blew my mind how hard these kids worked in the hot sun, with no water or shade, picking up trash, cleaning out overgrown brush, and burning rubbish. If the people of this city can continue to dedicate themselves to the common good like these kids, then the future looks bright.--

PB1006392.jpg

PB100587.jpg

Maqane   

Saan hadii eey kusii socdaan (wada shaqeeyaan). Dhulka dib buu usoo cagaaran doonaa! Insha'allah, :)

Marksman   

Good work! Great people. It keeps them busy and bond even if they're from different clans. It's also good for their self esteem, especially the girls. This reminds me of Kigali, Rwanda. I vote for a clean Somalia, a better Somalia :).

I also hope if we get peace we can ban plastic bags.

Mario B   

^^Thanks Mark for the Video, I didn't have time to watch it last time you posted in my other thread. That was inspiring, we should use brown bag like we used to.

Marksman   

Interesting! It may seem that there might be a market for this if plastic bags are banned. Some may think why are we discussing a simple topic such as the use of plastic bags? It is one of the many steps that could be taken to change a careless way of life and to work for an environmental friendly clean city. Hmmm I wonder how our bins will look like. :) Each city could compete with one another to become more beautiful than the other and show its uniqueness. Even with a small thing such as trash bins.

I hope peace will come sooner than later. The future of rethinking Mogadishu and other cities in Somalia seems exciting. I have some ideas myself that could be implemented to improve the city life.

I just don't want cities in Somalia to be dusty, dirty and with lack of adequate hygiene and bad use of space such as some other African countries. Somalis when in peace should reach for the sky and aim to become like clean and orderly areas such as Singapore, Tokyo, Fukuoka or Seoul. Good urban planning is extremely necessary. We have no excuse to stay behind. Especially with the Somali diaspora haven seen what the world has to offer.

It all begins with peace, security, education and a strong vision.

I was reading today a story about Greeks taking matters into their own hands, by promoting their country's image better than as of late. People in that country are marketing/advertising their country. So far, they've put together their own cash and started ads around the world. There's one in Time Sq, NY, wholly paid for by people. Greek students in the US have also started their own thing.

I write this in an inspiration to show that we too can make a difference if we positively get together and try and make those 'small' differences that make the bigger difference.

Even this place SOL has a role to play. Let's just get ourselves together, and start changing our bit of the world for the better.

That video of Kigali is really inspiring! If only we could channel our energy is such a form and change the look of Xamar Cadeey.

Carafaat   

Marksman, thanks for the video. really inspiring. we can create a culture of volunteers. one day a month to keep the country clean.