Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Holland Car: the pride of Ethiopia

Carafaat   

the models, engineering and financing came from Holland(www.fmo.nl), all the spareparts come from Asia. And the goverment supported by 300% import tax on foreign cars, thats how you create an industry.

Kudos to the neighbours!

NGONGE   

^^ Surprised they don't get exported to Somalia. Surely it'll work out cheaper than the Japanese second hand cars they have there!

Chimera   

An assembly plant costs in the region of $10 million if you establish a joint-venture. The coke factories in Somalia cost more than that, and they employ less people, and do not project the same "Made in Somalia" prestige, a heavy industry like the automotive sector would, what a waste. A Somali version of the landrover or the jeep would be hugely popular in Somalia.

I think a shipbuilding industry would suit Somalia better though considering its long coast, but you need visionary people for that.

You're right Chimera - we need visionaries for that. And what are Somali visionaries doing? Busying themselves writing fantasy novels, I hear :P :P... and thats when they're not loudly proclaiming they dont intend to go back home in the near future :P

Carafaat   

Chimera, your a man with a vision. We could become friends, unfortuantly your ego,flair and arrogance stand in the way. :D

Carafaat   

Yes, we can do much better. Ethiopians are not known to be the entrepreneurial but have strong State insitutions guarding the interest. Private initiative with a goverment creating the enabling enviroment is a necessary, and is the way forward for Somalia.

^^ Brainstorming together that's the way forward. The key here is together not solo. If we bundle all over creative and smarties talents together we can do that and it should be easy.

Chimera   

Carafaat;839901 wrote:
Chimera, your a man with a vision. We could become friends, unfortuantly your ego,flair and arrogance stand in the way.
:D

A man can tell you the weather, but that doesn't make him a weatherman. To say that Somalia is suitable for a ship-building industry is not visionary, it's common sense. However a person that creates a detailed plan that could lead to the existence of such an industry is 'visionary'. Therefore, I'm not sure why I'm being put on a pedestal, because I have no such plan.

I do have friends.

Nigeria's first home made warship:D

every stable country can bring in plants.This is done all of 3rd world.All parts r imported.

Africa is africa so long they don't dig their steel,gold etc & have no their engineers.Good for thm anyway but nothing that elevates the dire situation of masses.I rather see food abundancy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18300358 Nigeria's first home made war ship...Why they need this when great majority r starving....peanuts & corn rather

in terms of employment imagine how many could work on 300sq mile fields.