Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Are there any leopards left in Somalia?

raula   

^^^I think Blue right Wyre. Its rare for Cheetah's to climb trees unlike how Leopards are!The cheetah is lean (hence for built for speed) & a bit taller..in the hind limbs..more closely resemble the shape of a jaguar.

Ok i might be confused as well. I thought in somali Haramcad = Tiger ? or could it be Cheetah? since we have no Tiger's in Africa (Imported from Asia) & leopard = Shabeel ? No?

wyre   

raula;839223 wrote:
^^^I think Blue right Wyre. Its rare for Cheetah's to climb trees unlike how Leopards are!The cheetah is lean (hence for built for speed) & a bit taller..in the hind limbs..more closely resemble the shape of a jaguar.

Ok i might be confused as well. I thought in somali Haramcad = Tiger ? or could it be Cheetah? since we have no Tiger's in Africa (Imported from Asia) & leopard = Shabeel ? No?

Now I Am Realy Confused :(

wyre   

Coofle;839225 wrote:
Harimacad = Leopard

Shabeel = Tiger...

I Even Thought That Way But Blue And Raula Are Confusing Me :D

wyre;839228 wrote:
Now I Am Realy Confused
:(

Why don't you post the words leopard and cheetah in Narniah's "Somali-English-Game Thread" and someone might translate for you. There are really great translators over there and they are able to help you out.

Raula - Thank you :D

uchi   

Blue is right~

Difference between Leopard and Cheetah

At a glance one could easily mistake a leopard for a cheetah, but if you take a closer look at them you'll see they are actually quite different.

Here are some of the main physical differences between the two animals:

Leopard

•A very large, muscular predator, weighing 100kg and even more.

•The leopard is a far more powerful animal compared to the cheetah.

•The spots of the leopard are rosette in shape, covering the whole body as well as the face.

•They have white eye-linings at the bottom of the eyes. The white colour assists its vision at night by amplifying light which is reflected off objects around it, into the eyes.

•Just like a "true cat," all of its claws are fully retractable.

Cheetah

•They have a tall and slender build.

•The head of a cheetah is quite small in relation to its body, when compared to leopard, making the cheetah more stream-lined.

•Their nostrils are large in size to allow maximum oxygen in-take for their muscles, while running at high speeds.

•Cheetah's tails are quite flat towards the end, acting as a rudder to balance it while running.

•Instead of having rosette shaped spots, they have single large spots (like thumb prints), covering the whole body. The front of face has very few spots and is more a light brown colour.

•Cheetah's have black "tear lines" which run from the eyes down to the sides of the mouth. They hunt mostly during the day, so the black "tear lines" help absorb light, to prevent a blinding effect from the bright sunlight.

•The cheetah can only retract its dew claw. The dew claw is hooked onto an animal that it's hunting to try pull it down. The rest of the claws are non-retractable, just like dogs, giving the Cheetah better grip on the ground while running.

cheetah_and_leopard.jpg

raula   

^^^ :D looks like the case of Monique (the AA female comedian). Leopard=Monique & her chubbies :D ; Cheetah=Skinny B*&^Ches.

Timur   

Coofle;839225 wrote:
Harimacad = Leopard

Shabeel = Tiger...

Harimacad = Cheetah

Shabeel = Leopard

There are no Tigers in Africa let alone Somalia, so we technically don't even have a special word for Tigers.

Coofle   

raula;839686 wrote:
^^that's what i thought as well. Indeed No Tigers in Africa (except in the Zoo's).

Well After this I went to Wikipedia to check it out,,,Alas no Tigers in Africa,,I read tigers weigh 300 Kg...The anecdotes I heard are more likely were about Leopards, This incident happened while I was young in our village..

Subax ayaa Waxa geedkii malcaamada Hoosteeda macalimkii ug yimid Shabeel Fadhiya, intuu jaqatfii yareeyay ayuu dib u laabtay oo nin kale soo kaxaystay, Nin kale gudin ayuu haystay, Macalinkii baa yidhi, Shabeelka aniga ayaa galaya oo waan is qabsanaynaa ee markaan addimada hore qabta Adiguna gudinta Madaxa laba kaga kala dhig....Macalinkii wuu qabtay shabeelkii laakiin ninkii kale ayaa naxay oo macalinkii ayaa gudintii madaxa ka saaray, and the macalin lost his life by the hands of his friend....

You cannot fight with a tiger, Also there are many many other anecdotes of men Killing tigers, "Hebel Hebel bari buu shabeel dilay, inta qoorta gu'iisii ku duubtay ayuu,,,,,," Leopards are weaker...

Another Proof is the Translation of the Well known theatrical play "Shabeel Naagood" is "Leopard Among the women" , I always thought it was wrong..Now it is right...... Arrogance,,,How come Macalin Guush and Xasan sheekh muumin could be wrong ...

Thank you guys, you have corrected me ...

I correct my self now..

Harimacad = Cheetah

Shabeel = Leopard...

I have never seen tigers, But I will always be terrible at differentiating Cheetah from Leopard so I will always call both "Harimacad" .