Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

20 Things I Should Have Known at 20.

20 Things I Should Have Known at 20.

1. The world is trying to keep you ******. From bank fees to interest rates to miracle diets, people who are not educated are easier to get money from and easier to lead. Educate yourself as much as possible for wealth, independence, and happiness.

2. Do not have faith in institutions to educate you. By the time they build the curriculum, it’s likely that the system is outdated– sometimes utterly broken. You both learn and get respect from people worth getting it from by leading and doing, not by following.

3. Read as much as you can. Learn to speed read with high retention. Emerson Spartz taught me this while I was at a Summit Series event. If he reads 2-3 books a week, you can read one.

4. Connect with everyone, all the time. Be genuine about it. Learn to find something you like in each person, and then speak to that thing.

5. Don’t waste time being shy. Shyness is the belief that your emotions should be the arbitrators of your decision making process when the opposite is actually true.

6. If you feel weird about something during a relationship, that’s usually what you end up breaking up over.

7. Have as much contact as possible with older people. Personally, I met people at Podcamps. My friend Greg, at the age of 13, met his first future employer sitting next to him on a plane. The reason this is so valuable is because people your age don’t usually have the decision-making ability to help you very much. Also they know almost everything you will learn later, so ask them.

8. Find people that are cooler than you and hang out with them too. This and the corollary are both important: “don’t attempt to be average inside your group. Continuously attempt to be cooler than them (by doing cooler things, being more laid back, accepting, ambitious, etc.).”

9. You will become more conservative over time. This is just a fact. Those you surround yourself with create a kind of “bubble” that pushes you to support the status quo. For this reason, you need to do your craziest stuff NOW. Later on, you’ll become too afraid. Trust me.

10. Reduce all expenses as much as possible. I mean it. This creates a safety net that will allow you to do the crazier shit I mentioned above.

11. Instead of getting status through objects (which provide only temporary boosts), do it through experiences. In other words, a trip to Paris is a better choice than a new wardrobe. Studies show this also boosts happiness.

12. While you are living on the cheap, solve the money problem. Use the internet, because it’s like a cool little machine that helps you do your bidding. If you are currently living paycheck to paycheck, extend that to three weeks instead of two. Then, as you get better, you can think a month ahead, then three months, then six, and finally a year ahead. (The goal is to get to a point where you are thinking 5 years ahead.)

13. Learn to program.

14. Get a six-pack (or get thin, whatever your goal is) while you are young. Your hormones are in a better place to help you do this at a younger age. Don’t waste this opportunity, trust me.

15. Learn to cook. This will make everything much easier and it turns food from a chore + expensive habit into a pleasant + frugal one. I’m a big Jamie Oliver fan, but whatever you like is fine.

16. Sleep well. This and cooking will help with the six pack. If you think “I can sleep when I’m dead” or “I have too much to do to sleep,” I have news for you: you are INEFFICIENT, and sleep deprivation isn’t helping.

17. Get a reminder app for everything. Do not trust your own brain for your memory. Do not trust it for what you “feel like” you should be doing. Trust only the reminder app. I use RE.minder and Action Method.

18. Choose something huge to do, as well as allowing the waves of opportunity to help you along. If you don’t set goals, some stuff may happen, but if you do choose, lots more will.

19. Get known for one thing. Spend like 5 years doing it instead of flopping around all over the place. If you want to shift afterwards, go ahe

ad. Like I said, choose something.

20. Don’t try to “fix” anyone. Instead, look for someone who isn’t broken.

Coofle   

Loolz @Alpha...Getting more and More conservative....Sidii Abtigiis waan kuu arkay ku yidhiba ma fiicnid.....Where is your rastafarian spirit,,,

Abtigiis   

These things do not help the averge somali person. Also few of the things are really a bit too surreal. Which Somali will get more happiness by travelling to Paris or Barbados when he knows someone oo close relative ah oo aan dab loo shidin! :D maybe it is us the old men who worry about people we shouldn't be worrying about. For me, i get happy when i contribute to the happiness of others in a meanigful way.

^ not to mention its place-specific. its for melancholic fools, you know.

baal expend on 'For me, i get happy when i contribute to the happiness of others in a meanigful way' and can you give practical examples.

coofle, lol. abtigis is a cool guy, lets just say and this has no bearing on my current character changes.

Carafaat   

Alpha Blondy;837104 wrote:
9. You will become more conservative over time. This is just a fact. Those you surround yourself with create a kind of “bubble” that pushes you to support the status quo. For this reason, you need to do your craziest stuff NOW. Later on, you’ll become too afraid. Trust me.

Alpha, come on. you should dare to do anything after you finish college and turn 25. Life only starts after 25. For me it did, anyways.

Abtigiis   

Sending your poor uncles to school, paying the medical expenses of a friend who will be free of tumor or something because of your intervention, finding a job for a good friend (decent person) who has not been fortunate, things like that!!

I had different priorities at young age as you would probably know. Big and lavish wedding night, fancy cars, beautiful girlfriend etc. these are still important but overtime the welfare of children and family takes over as the key priority.

I am sure most of the issues you raised in the list are valid, but maybe for a person with your status and upbringing. The homeboys and old men may find some of the issues yiu raised a bit too advanced for them. :D

War gurigii. Iman iigu d.ir, inaan meesha islaan ku maheriyaan rabaaye! Sanadkan waa la ii yaabaa, waxaan u maleyn in aan inta yar ee haysto is dhaafin doono!

Juxa   

aah sweet^^^

in your 20s you should work hard, climb the career ladder, buy a decent car, travel the globe, pay off your student loans, help your parents and your 100 cousins financially and establish a decent life style

in your 30s you should plan for retirement and commence urgent towbad keen

Carafaat   

Juxa, you are right. when you are 30, you should change and pray Allah for forgiveness. I am planning to do Umrah next year inshallah and become Sheick Carafaat.

NGONGE   

You should have known that the dullest form of communication is a darn LIST, Alpha.

(I have no idea what the rest of the thread is about).

Alpha Blondy;837104 wrote:

8. Find people that are cooler than you and hang out with them too. This and the corollary are both important: “don’t attempt to be average inside your group. Continuously attempt to be cooler than them (by doing cooler things, being more laid back, accepting, ambitious, etc.).”

I have to disagree and I think this goes against the grain of the collective direction of your other points. I would say:

- Don't try to be cool, because at the end of the day 'coolness' is subjective, short-termist and (eventually due to time) in the end rendered meaningless. Instead focus on attaining cool things/experiences/achievements and be mindful of the long-term.

at 20, i was perfect. Had a regular job, a car, an apt, going to college, never knew a xalimoo then! But fell in love with an african American chick.

She then got pregnant and blamed me! She told me that she was on the pill.......so i was shocked...but was relieved when test came back that it wasnt me! She was cheating with a nfl football player. She aborted the baby...n chased me till she met an american soldier who fought in Modgadisho. He didnt like somalis, so that cut her off from me. Thanks homie.

Then i met the xalimoo from Jabouti! Then the Hiroshima bomb dropped....after we got into it. I looked up and asked ..why u doing this to me god!

Then i met the Suji xalimoos in la, and they gave some african good food, and i saw thru the fog............ok

So, all faarax needs, is some good buuzi meat (goat meat) n stop eating burgers everyday!! The answer is goat meat homie to get your head str8.