Sign in to follow this  
Mario B

Somali farmers rejoice at end of militant tax!

Mario B   

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

AFGOYE, Somalia (AP) -- The farmers in Afgoye, a town on the outskirts of Mogadishu long controlled by militants, are rejoicing at the African Union's latest success: The capture of Afgoye — the biggest military success in Somalia since militants abandoned Mogadishu last August.

First on the list of reasons to rejoice is financial: The farmers will no longer have to pay up to 50 percent of their crops in "taxes" to al-Shabab fighters.

Since Afgoye's fall over the weekend, dozens of vehicles carrying fresh fruits and vegetables have traveled from Afgoye into the Somali capital. Some farmers hope they will be able to produce more crops now that the insurgents have been driven out.

Source: AP

Abdul   

The tax money Alshabab used to finance their war machine will now improve the lives of the poor farmers.

Mario B   

Poor farmers can now produce more, and hopefully more mouths will be able to afford to eat now because of cheaper price.:D

Mario B   

Government will probably tax 10-15 percent, I think that is fair. Someone has to pay for the security, schools and hospitals.

gov't shouldn't be worried about tax right now ,they have to give these people a break so they can produce more.Gov't have enough foreign aid for couple yrs if only stop being corrupt.Give the people some incentive with seeds & free equipment & no tax for atleast 5yrs.

burahadeer;835928 wrote:
gov't shouldn't be worried about tax right now ,they have to give these people a break so they can produce more.Gov't have enough foreign aid for couple yrs if only stop being corrupt.Give the people some incentive with seeds & free equipment & no tax for atleast 5yrs.

well said.

Buunbuunista gaaladaan nacayba. Barabagaandhada naga yareeya yaa dhaho. These same farmers qaarkood beerahooda xoog ayaa loogu hestay and if it wasn't Barbaarta, wax u soo celin lahaa ma jiri lahayn.

But AP propaganda branch wouldn't report that.

Mario B   

I think people need to pay reasonable tax, otherwise we will be forever be beggars or end up like Greece...bankrupt nation of tax dodgers!

Anywhere, they have a year before the Somalia Tax Authourity come into existence.:D

I agree with MMA so many ppl I know got their farmers back under Barbaarta. Also, the 50% taxation is pure propaganda !

One of the positive actions of Barnaarta was law and Oder (however brutual it was )which I guess many locals will loose under the current TFG.