Sign in to follow this  
Wiil Cusub

Economic success in Somaliland (BBC Report)

The reporter is heartless I can't believe what I heard 'unofficial' 'unrecognised' in the middle of a desert. Ouch! couldn't help but laugh. Well FYI, Coca Cola has been in Mogadishu since 2006, a city that's been ravaged by clan wars and conflict for two decade, however it took the break away region of Somalia, some six years later to get there, what a pity! Somalia in its current chaotic state is so many years ahead of the so called independent state of Sland. war dee isku xishooda oo waxaan oo kale meesha ha la imaanina. By the way, here is the link to the opening of the Coca Cola plant in Mogadishu in 2006.

^^ yeah its unrecognized but that doesn't matter they are moving forwards despite the status of their non recognition it was a good report on Somaliland there, but with the establishment of the Somaliand development corporation i think international investors can be attracted to Somaliand.

This is a project involving the Osman Guelleh family (Djiboutian traders: Inchape etc) it seems; others were hinting that the Haid family was involved too (Djama Haid is Djib's first lady's brother and the Djib central bank manager, he has a second base in Hargeysa like others).That would not surprise me since Djib elites from N. West are interconnected and the Djib state contribution would facilitate such projects.

Investment should be directed at where it matters and helps all sectors of the society and the economy; more importantly, elites should not have such a great influence on everything.

To take only one example, land taxes would stop speculation and afford land or property to the average citizens closer in the city, instead of land serving as an improductive investment or speculation instrument that also makes trading and living difficult for everyone, with high transport costs, lower access to basic services for the poors in particular and other inefficiencies.

The other thing is that proper public institutions and economic planning would have made sure that instead of sodas, that money would have greatly helped the construction and housing sector if invested in facilities such as the low cost Locrete, with free land given by Hargeysa (only one factory, just like in Djibouti, would be enough and costs at most around 3 millions, much less than the soda one: Locrete).

GaroweGal;835629 wrote:
The reporter is heartless I can't believe what I heard 'unofficial' 'unrecognised' in the middle of a desert. Ouch! couldn't help but laugh. Well FYI, Coca Cola has been in Mogadishu since 2006, a city that's been ravaged by clan wars and conflict for two decade, however it took the break away region of Somalia, some six years later to get there, what a pity! Somalia in its current chaotic state is so many years ahead of the so called independent state of Sland. war dee isku xishooda oo waxaan oo kale meesha ha la imaanina. By the way, here is the link to the opening of the Coca Cola plant in Mogadishu in 2006.

Bacda iska fur yaree. No-one said that there was no Coca-cola factory in Mog. Factory la furay aa waxaas oo dhan kaa yeedhinaaya, cajiib.