Sign in to follow this  
Wadani

Are somalis good people?

Aaliyyah   

Somalis are good people no doubt about that. We do go out of our way for other somalis. The other day I was on the bus and I saw this lady who kept looking around she seemed kinda lost. I GOT UP from all the way where i was sitting which was like the end of the bus and came to her and said "habaryar xagee ba u socotay"..and then she told me and i actually got off the bus with her to help her out. That's what it means to be a somali habarcad haday ahaan laheed ma ana u dhowaan laha haday ugu badato meesha uun u sheegi laha ma bus baan kala dagi lahaa..it is a blessing to be somali.

And, there was this day where it was pouring raining and several somalis were asking me if they could give me a ride..I politely declined (ma ana ku aqaan markaan gaadhiga kula fuulayo). But, I am grateful to know that they would go out of their way to offer me a ride.

so yeah generally speaking somalis are good. Haday somaali kale arkaan way isku taxalujinayaan inay wax u qabtaan. Waa umad ilaahay isku sakhiray.

Chimera   

^Doing something nice for another Somali, doesn't make you a good person perse since you did it for kinship reasons; now me carrying the heavy bags of an old white lady is definitely me being a good person. I also don't think personal anecdotes are sufficient to proclaim a 20 million + people are good or bad.

Somalis are a people with a lot of potential to be good, and could be in a position to help other nations and peoples with their country's natural wealth and resources, however there are certain characteristics and cultural habits that render all of the positives obsolete, such as qabiil and our inheritant fatalism, where we are willing to sacrifice our country/children's future just to reach a political goal, This trait is good in a business environment, but in politics its suicide.

Aaliyyah   

^when a somali person who I dont even know offers me a ride out of kindness it does make them a good person. And for sure if you do pick up heavy grocery bags for an old white lady it does also make you a good person. I was also emphasizing how kind and helpful somalis are to each other. When you see a somali face you know you will go out of your way for them.

Chimera   

Definitely, now we need to capture that Somali sentiment, bottle it in a factory and export it nationwide.