Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Universal TV Debate: Constitutional Articles Puntland Rejected

Somalia   

As you can see in the video kings, they (constitutional commission) tried to remove the whole name of federalism and tried to bypass the Garowe Principles with the connivance of the Sheikh Shariif's advisors. This is one of the reasons why he was summoned to New York and told to back off.

AFP

New York – The UN powers on Tuesday expressed concern that Somalia's transitional administration is behind on a timetable to set up a permanent government by August.

The United States, Britain, France and Germany all warned Somalia's president at a Security Council meeting that international support was conditional on reaching key political targets.

With Somali and African forces claiming decisive victories over Islamic rebels, the United Nations has already extended the mandate for the transitional government for one year to 20 August. Western nations say the date cannot be extended again.

The Security Council said in a statement that with time running out the political process is now at a "critical phase".

Council members praised progress made so far, but "expressed concern that some deadlines for the completion of tasks had already been missed".

The council called on President Sharif Shekh Ahmed and his government to "redouble" efforts to set up a constituent assembly and adopt a constitution by August.

They said the rival Somali parties and factions must overcome their divisions to set up the new government.

Somali forces and a 10 000-strong African Union force, Amisom, have made significant gains in recent months against Shabaab militants. But the Islamic rebels are still able to carry out deadly attacks in Mogadishu.

Major challenge

US ambassador Susan Rice said the government faces a major challenge being ready on time for the transition.

"Any delay or backsliding in implementing the transition is totally unacceptable," she told the council. "Somalia and the wider region cannot afford to revert to the endless cycles of violence and suffering that have plagued the country and threatened the region for decades."

"On the political front, we are worried," added France's UN envoy Gerard Araud, who added that all of the political deadlines were several weeks behind.

Britain has been a major backer of international efforts to stabilise Somalia, organizing an international conference in February.

The international community must support political efforts "providing incentives to progress and being prepared to take action against any who seek to block or undermine the process", said Britain's deputy UN ambassador Philip Parham.

Augustine Mahiga, the UN special representative on Somalia, and the Somali president said the transitional government needs more money to carry out its work.

The European Union and United States are the main international backers of the government. Both have urged other countries to give more. The EU gives $200m a year to pay for the salaries of Amisom troops from Uganda, Burundi and Djibouti.

the school teacher needs to understand that there are things outside of his power and he needs to accept the true power of Somalia is PL.Noloow Mudane Madaxweyne Faroole. the real President of Somalia. ;):cool:

Mario B   

General Duke;831836 wrote:
^^^Let the people decide is a great thing. But how is the important part?...
:D

Because it gives people the ownership of the political process, I believe it's called democracy. :D

Again how will the people decide? Is there a census or will it be an online survey?

Let me reassure you that if this constitution is not passed adequately and a new smaller parliament is not formed by the end of August, the Republic of Somalia will be doomed for at least the next couple of decades or forever..

Mario B   

General Duke you seem to be scared of the people? care to share with us why is that the case. As for your perssimism, i dont share it with you, I believe Somalia has seen the worst and that better days are ahead of us. So lets not now contrive a crisis when there is none.

^^^^Do tell me how you will get this constitution to the people of Hargaysa, Borama, Burco, Kismayu, Marka, Barava, Afgoye, Qoryoole, just to mention a few Cities, or do their inhabitants not count?... How will you even get a copy to your town Laascaanod?..:D

Mario B;831845 wrote:
^^ You will find my position on the matter in this dialogue I had with Xiinfaanin....as for the how well I will leave that to the Gov.

Nonsense. The Government you are speaking about only controls Mogadishu with the help of 10,000 AMSOM troops. Thus other than the planned constituent assembly there can not be a binding national referendum inside Somalia.