Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Djibouti As Never Seen

Djibouti is largely a small desertic country surrounded with ; however, media and gossips are full of inaccuracies, omissions and misleading half-truths.

The reality is that a variety of splendid flowers (some cultivated for their scents), plants and palms are to be found even within the capital, not to mention gardens.

Right outside, mountainous national parks and resorts such as Arta offer springs, green scenes and milder climates.

On top of that, the country is an open sky geological laboratory offering many exceptional natural phenomena such as uniques hot springs, volcanoes, islands, lakes etc (the Assal salt lake is 150 m below sea level); these attract scientists and films crews.

"Lake Abbé is located on the Ethiopia-Djibouti border and is the terminus of the Awash River. The lake is known for many sights. The first is the stunning salt water. Second, is on the northwest shore rises the stunning volcano of Dama Ali. Third, the lake is known for its 50 m high limestone chimneys, which have steam emitting from them. On the shore of the lake live the nomadic Afar people and wild flamingos. Lastly the original Planet of the Apes was filmed here." (Wiki Travel)

The cultural variety is apparent in the local cuisine with exquisite Yemeni dishes such as mukhbasa with fish: a mixture of dates or bananas with sabayad which may be sprinkled with honey, accompanied with xulbad or fenugreek soup and pepper sauce or the maraq kaluun meal served with rice and fried fish (this may turn into an addiction) etc.

As I try to upload some ordered pictures, we'll discover some of the many sides of this virgin corner that I'm myself yet to explore (despite living there for almost two decades).

Please, let's refrain from politics, controversies or negativity as this is solely concerned with geography; likewise thanks for allowing me to be the only one to post pictures here initially.

Malika   

Nice, very nice.

Abu - I hear life in Djibouti is expensive, if one is to visit as a holiday destination, what is your experience?

Malika, there is some change and electricity prices have already been lowered by a third (Ethiopian hydro-electricity), calls abroad are now accessible (telecoms prices down by up to 80%) and staples prices are somewhat controlled or subsidised (cheap bread, state cereals farmed abroad etc).

Rents may still be a bit high though (average of $400 for a decent private two bedrooms, much more in some areas); however, costs could be kept down by living more like locals and very competitive restaurants (varied meals for few dollars, kebabs etc for 1-2 $, low prices in popular eateries etc).

Staying with someone and minimising the use of hotels or supermarkets for expatriates makes a huge difference (the place is compact and buses costs, when needed, are low).

My early morning Jogging/swim area (running after sunset in the summer is quite another experience in itself):

7211313554_70ff853960.jpg

Antioxidants after excercise at the central market (mainly relocated to new facilities; where ayeeyo accompanied daily the maids):

7211313096_a9c808df81_b.jpg

Tea time at the "Guud" area and its old buildings under renovation (many built with coral madrepore):

7215770702_455c221832_b.jpg

Salat at the carpeted, air-conditioned Saudi Mosque:

7211313310_c7d7ae4aba.jpg

One of the many boats often sighted:

7211314062_e15ddccd75_b.jpg

Gasiirada (Heron), exclusive neighborhood surrounded by the sea, our childhood promenade road (Peltier hospital, not seen but nearby, faces our former flat; the recent Kempinsky is just next on this road):

7211311982_a7f67a1b0e_b.jpg

New flats in that area but local architecture, by the state SID:

7209517984_c25a0f1cdc.jpg

oba hiloowlow;830788 wrote:
Mashallah Djibouti is beautiful i just wish they had good leaders.

They have good leaders President geele is a great President.

Haramouss, the booming upscale neighborhood where pres. Guelleh resides; both flats and villas are being developped:

7209512796_accd4c4c7c.jpg

7209515516_aef3fce03d.jpg

7209515000_a11d4064a6_b.jpg

7209513132_0f3b502a5d_b.jpg

7205203888_dd7de38e80_b.jpg

7217826924_8351890ed9.jpg

7209516860_3f181b5bee.jpg

Despite the nice building the place still looks like a dry place. Can't see myself living in a place like that. But well done to the people laakiin, keep up the good work.

ElPunto   

Abu-Salman;831216 wrote:
Haramouss, the booming upscale neighborhood where pres. Guelleh resides; both flats and villas are being developped:

7205203888_dd7de38e80_b.jpg

Not bad. How much are these villas? Better than anything I've seen in Somalia - it looks very much like the ones getting built in Dubai. Where's the money coming from for all this consumption? I know there is more activity in the country due to Americans and others setting up shop but is there much of non-government/non-military economy?

PS - Abu - if you ever make it to Dikhil - take a few photos - I was born there.

ElPunto   

GaroweGal;831271 wrote:
Despite the nice building the place still looks like a dry place. Can't see myself living in a place like that. But well done to the people laakiin, keep up the good work.

You know Garowe is not exactly the Amazon jungle. :D

BN   

ElPunto;831300 wrote:
Not bad. How much are these villas? Better than anything I've seen in Somalia.

Wouldn't agree; I've seen some good work in Somalia. The design seems plain and the colours are quite unattractive. But I would still be interested to know the builder and prices...LOL.