Sign in to follow this  
wyre

your favorite xabashi Song

AYOUB;827425 wrote:
We're the world, we're the children..

L0L. i think they dont get it..lol.

I kinda listen to Teddy Afro,but i am not too keen on Habashi songs...However, I LOVE the Habashi/Oromo variations of Somali songs. They are hilarious.

wyre   

Faarax-Brawn;827692 wrote:
L0L. i think they dont get it..lol.

I kinda listen to Teddy Afro,but i am not too keen on Habashi songs...However, I LOVE the Habashi/Oromo variations of Somali songs. They are hilarious.

:D:D As If we are eberkeen

Abtigiis   

Gosaye was always good but I see he is getting better. His debut Evangadi was his best. Grasshopper chose perhaps the best Teddy Afro song, which has a huge political import subtly admonishing the ruling Tigre's that the day of the real Ethiopians is beckning and even agitating some to take the gun when they hear his 'masinqo' ( a local musical instrument). All are done subtly and he can always say he meant something else, but Amharas cheer this song because it speaks to their political predilictions. The beat is not original; he took it from old Amhara traditional songs.

Wyre, ok, I will post my best Amaharic song which will not be this salacious young girls accompanying the songs; but for now I thought of sharing this one because it is an execellent song you may never come across. Ok, the dance is a bit incongrous to the song and the singer is not the prettiest singer, but when Alem Kebede releases this song in mid 1990s, Addis Ababa stood with one feet. The song is a mix of love and a praise of Addis's different parts. Gosaye did a eendition later but this one is still better. Having lived in perhaps all sides of Addis Ababa, I kind of shout for every xaafad she mentiones, but I guess my place would be either the areas around the Uni, which include Piassa and Arada, or where I stayed when I was working in Addis near the Economic Commission for Africa,wjere the Italian named Kaza-Anchis ( the place of girls). :D :D or even Markato. I kind of laugh when she mentiones Aba-Koran, a sizzling district where I passed through maybe only once or twice. Lots of memories.

Here is Alem:

http://youtu.be/Ku7yBHSK5s4

Abtigiis   

I think Mela Belu,a promotional song preaching prevention of HIV/AIDS, was the most profound song of the last decade. In the video, the house of representatives are singing with the singers.

Wyre, the old man with the white hair is Menelik Wossenachew (google for his other songs and you will be rewarded. He is the most underrated Ethiopian singer but that is mainly because he left the country during Mengistu regime and by the time he came back it was a different generation.Still, hugely revered. I think he was better than Tilahun Gessesse.)

My favourite song Meskerem Birhanu's "Hilm Ayeheluish" - where she is singing about Ethiopia - Last night I saw a dream for you, ... and when the dawn arrives, and the clouds clear the dream as you predicted will come true...because the meaning of dreams depend on the translator (and the translator in this case wants this dream to be a good one...).

Wyre and Carafaat, this is a MUST watch! (below). The girl is full of jinniyad and the song is very patriotic (for Ethiopians like Passerby). I am sure he doesn't know this song, but he will like it. It was released in 2006.

Abtigiis   

Haatu, you have a point. They say music is an international language, but I think knowing the message adds more flavour. But you must understand when the Oba's of this forum say they like this song, in most cases what they like is the girls in the videos or the scenery. :D :D