Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Man Who Knows EVERYBODY!

A_Khadar;823285 wrote:
War NG, meesha ha u dhameyn dadkeeda.. So far you told us too many weird if not so crazy people in H town including JB who is known by everyone.. Only crazy people are known by everyone.. Tell us little more about Burco though...

I was supposed to visit Buuhoodle last week .... still planning though :D

NGONGE   

A_Khadar;823285 wrote:
War NG, meesha ha u dhameyn dadkeeda.. So far you told us too many weird if not so crazy people in H town including JB who is known by everyone.. Only crazy people are known by everyone.. Tell us little more about Burco though...

I didn't have to go to Burco this time, Burco came to me. ;)

Jacaylbaro;823562 wrote:
I was supposed to visit Buuhoodle last week .... still planning though
:D

Waar don't go there please waa meeshan kugu nacay anoo kuu hanwayn , remember your infamous war drums!.

Garnaqsi   

NGONGE;823171 wrote:
They say that a wise man knows everything but a shrewd man knows everyone. In my own experience, this saying has not been truer than in the ten days I spent in Hargeisa City recently. Open a history book of Somaliland and go to the MEN section; in the chapter named “men that know everyone” you are likely to see only one glowing name filling the page. Don’t be surprised if it’s a name you too recognise. He may have many names and aliases, he may be called by lots of different nicknames but he still remains the same man, Jacaylbaro!

Kipling might be one of the few people to have not met Jacaylbaro but some argue that Kipling was a far seeing man and I’m inclined to agree with that argument. For who else was he talking about when he wrote that “IF” poem? It is as if the poem was written to specifically describe him or, to use the Somali equivalent, Jb waa ragiida.

For example:

Jb told me a story about him and an uncle of his sitting in the house in the midst of the bombardment of H town. A rocket landed close to the house and he (as a young child) flinched. The uncle berated him and told him to stop being a coward. A few seconds later, another rocket landed on the house. But this time, the uncle (sadly and literally) lost his head whilst Jb survived.

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

Whilst I was with the man, we usually spent our time visiting various eating establishments or lazing outside coffee shops. The waiters knew him, the regulars knew him, the shoe polishers knew him and, to my utter surprise and fascination, even one intoxicated glue-sniffer knew him!

On a different occasion, when we happened to visit one of the main hotels in the city where the old men, politicians and foreigners congregate, I ended up beginning a mental game with myself. The game involved counting how many minutes would pass before Jacaylbaro would be approached and greeted by yet another “new” person. The shortest time was two minutes by the way. Still, I had a wide smile on my face when, as we walked around the lobby of the hotel, I heard someone calling Jacaylbaro’s name; it was the biggest name (allegedly) in SL after the president himself. My smile, of course, wasn’t out of respect, excitement or nervousness about such a meeting; I simply remembered the glue-sniffer.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much:

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

It’s a rare and valuable skill to be able to get on with all manner of people whilst always keeping a smile and being able to carry the conversation, regardless of the topic. It’s also no mean feat to garner the respect and appreciation of all.

Jb, I doff my hat to thee my friend. You’re the bus of busses.

What an unbelievably banal abuse of a wonderful poem!

*Blessed;823734 wrote:
JB, doesn't know any one that I know. Apart from afar qof that is.

That is because you know reer Burco oo dhan ,,, :D

Juxa   

haaa if you ignore the endless dhoolacadeyn the man is generous and connected...worth knowing me thinks

Blessed   

^dhoolacadaynta waa waxa dadka ka dhex saara ee isaga daa.

Jacaylbaro;823893 wrote:
That is because you know reer Burco oo dhan ,,,

Ma afar qof uun baad ka taqaan, adigu? LOL.