Sign in to follow this  
African

Somali Muslim group bans condoms

Well Qac Qac,

You are oversimplifying the situation. There IS an AIDS threat in Somalia, whether you choose to believe it or not. Sure we have to be scared of AIDS because babies are being born INFECTED. And yes Premerital sex and Adultery is zina but it is still practiced. How do you control them? Whipping them..? Don't think so. By turning a blind eye, you are just gonna have one ignorant of a nation.

Qac Qaac   

Opinionated r u saying we should give condoms out in our back home country, Somalia.

is like u saying mother against drinking and driving (madd). to me this is ****** idea, ban the whole alcohol thing, and this problem won't be there.

in this case same situation, if ppl are doing zina is because they are not educated in their religion very well, or they very weak, and fellow their desire. but u giving a condom to them, u saying, U COULD DO IT. BUT DO IT SAFELY.

see sis, islam prevents stuff, before it happens, so no zinaa, and aids have no place to occur anyways. this is one of the beautiful things in our religion.

not good idea to give condoms out, and assuming this will stop the disease, boy r u wrong. look every country that has this disease, they lots of condoms, how come they don't help.

no zina, no disease, u want zina with condoms, still there is disease simple as A B C.

guys this is not ajoke.it is an issue that will effect lives of millions of people around the world.there only in opinion two options:

1) prevention:this option is not longer usefull as hundered of young and elderly people are HIV positive,nothing or little can be done to safe them,they had already fall in very shalow and unaccessable hole.as there is no cure for AIDS.

2) leaving it spread.it is tribley impossible to leave this kind of disease which already claimed many live around the world.

the rulling of the ulema council may just considered the affect that free condom may result in society but did they realy look very another angle which is if we do not do whatever we can to stop this disease from spreading more,the consequence will be devastating.

i think islam as a relligone is very flixble,we are not like catholic,very strict and traditionlis nas no plce in islam.we are in 21st cencury,we are in a worl where the whole world is liek vilaage,we are also in world of cultures has no borders,bad cultures and good one are at the fingertip of everyones,and definitely the somali young men and women do bad unislmaic behaviour that may result the spread of AIDs.to my opinon i think it should be made free and should be available to all.i say so becuase we all know that there is no nation n the world that can claim to be free bad people,and always bad people despite their minorty cuase the most evil things in this world,and somalia is not exceptional.

Giving people condoms is not gonna protect them from HIV/AIDS.... I agree with those wadaado, but they should take steps to solve the problem by educating people about what HIV/AIDS is.

I think thus far the only thing that's been keeping Somali save from the HIV/AIDS Epidemic has been the higher sexual morals of the Somalis compared to the other nations in the region. The best way to stay save from this thing is to educate the people about it. When people know about it, they will not even think about having sex with an untested person.

The issue we should be discussing is whether condoms are haram or not?

Qac Qac, you have accused me many times of being black and white with issues. But you don't seem to be concerned about the welfare or the social issues of HUMANS but merely concerned with image. These people not only need condoms, they need education, drugs, shelters for kids who will soon become homeless. Lets be less concerned about how allowing condoms to be sold LOOKS like we as muslims are OK with zina.

Also AIDS is not just spread through zina, although that is the most common way.

If people are ignorant about the illness you will have people getting it through marriage and kids being born with it.

I think the discussions about condoms and AIDS are very different. I mean the discussion about the status of condoms in the shareeca and the discussion about how to stop the HIV epidemic from devastating Somalia as it has devastated other nations are different. Although they are related, they concern different parts of the society. The shareeca issue is for the wadaado to talk about whereas the HIV epidemic needs to be handed by the political authorities (where they exist) and the people responsible for public health and education.

Oocyte   

Originally posted by Qac Qaac:

Opinionated r u saying we should give condoms out in our back home country, Somalia.

in this case same situation, if ppl are doing zina is because they are not educated in their religion very well, or they very weak, and fellow their desire. but u giving a condom to them, u saying, U COULD DO IT. BUT DO IT SAFELY.

see sis, islam prevents stuff, before it happens, so no zinaa, and aids have no place to occur anyways. this is one of the beautiful things in our religion.

not good idea to give condoms out, and assuming this will stop the disease, boy r u wrong. look every country that has this disease, they lots of condoms, how come they don't help.

no zina, no disease, u want zina with condoms, still there is disease simple as A B C.

Qac Qaac;

HIV/AIDS is NOT about Zina. Yes, the virus is transmitted mostly through sexual intercounter but there are people who get from their spouses, kids through pregnancy, accidental needle sticks in health care workers, and lets not forget blood transfusion esp in Somalia where relatives donate and the patients receives without any screenings!!

It wasnt that long ago when someone posted about incident of HIV/AIDS in Galkayo where whole family were destroyed.

It is too naive to say Religion will protect me from infection(s).

BTW, Banning condoms and giving out are two different things - Dont see where anyone is saying distribute condoms.

This is one way of doing things but its not the best way. I beleive educating people about the disease and the other effects of unprotected sex and letting them decide for themselves is the best way. I abhor any law that tries to curb personal freedom and freedom of thinking/reasoning. Its rediculous to control every aspect of peoples lives...after all, thats what it is - control and as soon people are out of that sphere of control, they will do as they please. Treating every1 like an unthinking dork is ignorant.

Besides, who said the only people who use condoms are unmarried folk? married people use it too.

I'm not advocating for condoms to be handed out in schools but pharmacies and health clinics, its a necessity. Its not banned in any other part of the muslim world (as far as I know) and sure as hell Somalis are not cleverer than any1 else.

Qac Qaac   

Every one is here is almost saying educate the ppl, yes we should educate them. but when u have a desire to have sex with some one, education is the last thing u r thinking about.

education, how, u could only scare them, by telling them what kind of diseases they could get from, and u might succeeded doing this. but the only way is what islam teaches, which don't do zinaa. simple as that.

some of our nomad ppl said, it might be naive, to think only religion will stop it. well i actually think, it is naive to only think education is the only way to stop this. See u get aids from needle yes, or a from dentist place, but that is the rare case, i am talking about the average cases, is from sexual, STD sexual transmitted diseases. stoping this, to not do zinaa, not condom, educate who u want, but when someone wants to have sex, there is no education he or she is thinking about. but when u say maybe fear allah, they might stop it.

well anyways this is my opinion, u could disagree if u want, i think, education is not enough. that's all

Oocyte   

Someone cant get over Zina is the main cause of HIV/AIDS! It is sexual encounter regarless of marital status. There are many people who didnot have Zina but unfortunately get HIV through husband/wife. That person could be my/your sister or brother who remained chaste but end up marrying infected person. We need to realise Condoms are not only for Single people!

And education is not only about condoms but includes abstinence, sreening one another before marriage, awareness of the disease, treatment options etc.

Heck, the same article states 70% of young Somali girls have NOT hear about HIV/AIDS - It shows how much education is needed!

Uganda is good example where HIV infection rate has dropped.

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Question to the Advocates of

'AIDS Education ala Condoms'

Since drug usage is a prevalent thing in society, do u think that IF Somalis in Somaliland or Somalia were using drugs and needles were on the streets and people getting high, that a good idea

for them would be to educate them by setting up clinics were they good get 'clean needles' and use drugs in a 'safe environment'.

This is what is being proposed in North America

and not too long ago in the 80's, they changed

the 'Abstinance Song' to 'well if u gonna go out tonight son/daughter, make sure u carry a CONDOM

with you and practice SAFE SEX.

Best EDUCATION is called SOCIETY, thats were we do most of our learning through our ENVIRONMENT.

So if u create an environment of 'AIDS is out there so here's a free condom for your protection', you gonna get people 'grinding' a whole lot more and ******* children popping up everywhere.

Sometimes, I am shocked to find myself hearing and seeing somethings that come out of muslims

mindssss!

great discussion. very civil.. i think complete ban on condoms wouldn't help prevention against AIDS or any other STD. with that in mind, Educating the public is the core preventive measure needed here. we all know abstinence is the safest way to avoid this disease, but what some of us may need to know is the importance of SAFE sex. use of condoms when engaged in either premarital or adultery, the two that are mostly mentioned, one must USE A CONDOM each time. that's evidently how Uganda has reversed their high rate of infection in the 90's, using a program they called ABC...A for ABSTINENCE, B for Something else and C for Condoms (being the last option).

btw, how come no one mentioned how prevalent AIDS might be in the DIASPORA who are more exposed to it anyway..........i heard some shocking statistics last summer in minnesota.

Liqaye   

If a person is educated in islam, and in the dangers of STD'S then all we can as muslims hope for is that the person will use the condom for birth control with his wife.

If not well allah S.W.T knows best what men AND women do under the cover of darkness.

A person who is afraid of the day of judgement will not commit zina, regardless of the presence of condoms or otherwise.

What do I say about the Idea of banning condoms??

I say this is cockeyed,INSIPED idea. My fellow Muslims open up your minds and practice Ijtihad and stop following so-called Ulema blindly. The issue of HIV/AIDS and Condoms and STDs is not disscussed in the Hadeeth and Koran, therefore we must practice Ijtihad( which is personal interpertation on issues not covered by the paramount texts of Islam)