Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Somaliland Minister of Foreign Affairs Addressing the European Parliament

LANDER   

Health care, Education and economic development is all good but it means nothing if you don't have peace and security. I think if we are to look at where the efforts of government and diaspora and find efficiencies perhaps it would be as far as the recognition campaign goes. Devoting more efforts towards building in Somaliland and less on outside recognition perhaps. I completely agree with XX that Somaliland finds itself in a very volatile and dangerous neighborhood, it won its peace more than 20 years ago and its going to take strength to keep it. Wars and pointless military campaigns like the one in Buhoodlee are not helpful but to preserve your peace in this part of the world you may have to fight and that is an undeniable reality. Although I'm not sure where XX was going with the entire Ethiopia episode, last I checked they were Somaliland's largest trading partner and ally.

Blessed   

An abysmal amount of money allocated to education and health care. If they increase or triple the budget for security, nothing will be left for other sectors. We're a developing nation and the need to invest in our people is just as important as maintaining the peace, in fact the two go hand in hand.

RedSea   

XX daaya waa geed adayg runtii.

xaaji to come back to your point. Yes I agree with you, we do need strong security forces to protect our borders and coast. What I'm saying though is we should not pour the bulk of our resources trying to up the defense forces, when we have more pressing things to worry about. I believe there are more important and urgent projects like rebuilding the Hargeisa general hospital, road networks, and water system. The vast majority of Somalilanders don't have access to viable healthcare, hence another area we need to put our resources into. We also have to deal with water shortage problems; there are vast amount of unexplored water underneath the soil of Hargeisa and burco, we need to solve that as well. We also need to strenghthen our education system and make it possible for Somalilanders, rich or poor, who want to pursue higher education after high school to do so without obstacles. These are all basic human needs amd is well within our projected budget for fiscal year 2012. It's immensely important to distrubute the state resources to cover areas of immediate need, so that end we won't just be strong militarily, but also healthy and productive people as well.

God bless the motherland.

RedSea   

*Blessed;812402 wrote:
An abysmal amount of money allocated to education and health care. If they increase or triple the budget for security, nothing will be left for other sectors. We're a developing nation and the need to invest in our people is just as important as maintaining the peace, in fact the two go hand in hand.

Blessed gets it.

I understand what you are saying that the ordinarily citizens of Somaliland need basic health care and good schooling and nice running water.As for the water shortage the EU helped and donated a large amount of Money to rehabilitate and upgrade and extend Somaliland's drinking supply networks all over the country, so we are working on that.

Perhaps not triple it but atleast increase our defense budget since the threat it always there when i say increase it i don't mean it always have to be like that just for a few years.There is also allot we can do particularly the Somalilanders in the west when it comes to creating a viable economy in Somaliland, when it comes to the health sector there are so many ways to set up private clinics by Somalilanders themselves you just need the right donations and fundings and the expertise Doctors etc its not easy but there are so many ways.

Today another hospital was opened in northern hargeysa we are getting there but lets not get carried away. Somaliland is still not where we want it to be and protecting the nation as i said before is always number one priority so we also need Military hospitals in this unstable region of the horn of Africa.

The Sage   

*Blessed;812402 wrote:

The government already established free primary education last year and doubled teacher's salaries. I think that counts for something.

RedSea   

Xaaji Xunjuf;812571 wrote:
I understand what you are saying that the ordinarily citizens of Somaliland need basic health care and good schooling and nice running water.As for the water shortage the EU helped and donated a large amount of Money to rehabilitate and upgrade and extend Somaliland's drinking supply networks all over the country, so we are working on that.

Perhaps not triple it but atleast increase our defense budget since the threat it always there when i say increase it i don't mean it always have to be like that just for a few years.There is also allot we can do particularly the Somalilanders in the west when it comes to creating a viable economy in Somaliland, when it comes to the health sector there are so many ways to set up private clinics by Somalilanders themselves you just need the right donations and fundings and the expertise Doctors etc its not easy but there are so many ways.

Today another hospital was opened in northern hargeysa we are getting there but lets not get carried away. Somaliland is still not where we want it to be and protecting the nation as i said before is always number one priority so we also need Military hospitals in this unstable region of the horn of Africa.

Masha Allah! waa war fiican. I think this government is doing excellent work in directing international donors to Somaliland.

LANDER   

RedSea;812548 wrote:
XX daaya waa geed adayg runtii.

xaaji to come back to your point. Yes I agree with you, we do need strong security forces to protect our borders and coast. What I'm saying though is we should not pour the bulk of our resources trying to up the defense forces, when we have more pressing things to worry about. I believe there are more important and urgent projects like rebuilding the Hargeisa general hospital, road networks, and water system. The vast majority of Somalilanders don't have access to viable healthcare, hence another area we need to put our resources into. We also have to deal with water shortage problems; there are vast amount of unexplored water underneath the soil of Hargeisa and burco, we need to solve that as well. We also need to strenghthen our education system and make it possible for Somalilanders, rich or poor, who want to pursue higher education after high school to do so without obstacles. These are all basic human needs amd is well within our projected budget for fiscal year 2012. It's immensely important to distrubute the state resources to cover areas of immediate need, so that end we won't just be strong militarily, but also healthy and productive people as well.

God bless the motherland.

There are some efforts being made as far as water resources go with a recent loan from the ADB, as well in the upcoming conference in the US some people have been discussing more ways to improve water access. I even heard talk of exploring Desalination technologies although I'm not sure how readily accessible and affordable that would be.