Sign in to follow this  
Liibaan

Somali Vs. Islam WHAT THEY GOT IN COMMON

Liibaan   

WEll somali and islam got the "S","M",and "A" in common but how deep are somalis muslims? to be honest with you somalis practices Qalbi than Islam, therefore, our religion is QABIL than Islam we can fool anyone else but not ourselves RUNTA AANU ISKU SHEEGNO SOMAALIYEED RIWAAYADANA KA BAXA FOR GOOD!

Blessed   

Salaams,

I went to a talk sometime ago and the Sheikh (forgot name) said that for Somalis our qabiils are our new idols. We almost worship them. Considering that our people spend in the way of and fight for preserving qabiil honour, I must agree.

How can we overcome this? Nomads....

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

I kinda dont agree, Qabil or rather Asabiya is one of the problems we have, the bigger problem I see is ignorance of Islam...!! Allow me to explain myself..!!

First of all Somalis -walhamdulilah- are or maybe were 99.9% Muslims...!! However we, like any other Muslim country in the world at the time, did not identify ourselves as Muslims but rather we decided to be Somalis..!! We forgot the fact that Islam was a spritual boundry that connected us to many more Muslims in the world and we decided to make our circle of connections smaller by saying we are Somalis...!! Anything other than Islam is doomed to end and it so happened that the Somali legacy ended with an extremely ugly civil war that used Qabil as a tool and basis for the war...!! I think that the problem was deeper than that...we left our Islamic identity, our Islamic Shari'a and our Islamic brotherhood and sisterhood...!!

If i tell you just some of the ways we left Islam you just might try to analyze it yourself and see if we are improving or...going down the drain..!!

If i start with children, i think every child went to dugsi (no child left behind), but we failed to teach our children the meaning of the Qur'an that they memorize and we failed to teach them about the Great Creator of All...!!

Our culture and what ever we picked up from the western cultures that colonized us almost replaced Islamic in the ways we interact with others..!! Dating was okey, mixed schools was the norm, not wearing Hijab was perfectly fine, and even though alcohol and drugs were bad, those who drank went unpunished and Qad eaters were just the ordinary people...!!

I can not begin to tell you about the government and how un-Islamic it was...let me just let you decide for yourself...!!

Also, our Aqeeda, with all the Bid'as that were being practiced in our own backyards such as Mingis, mawlid, siyaro (visiting the graves) and worse of all AbdulQadir Jeelaaniyooow..!!!!

I mean we should always say Alhumdulilah we are Muslims, but we have a long way as a nation from truely practicing Islam the way it is...and maybe that will or will not happen....Allah knows best...!! All i know is, we do not worship Qabil, but we just dont practice Islam properly...!!

Fii Amaani'Laah

muunad   

bro, somalis did use their Qaabil and culture interwined as a way of life, and u are right that it still dominates us even when we have knowledge of our religion. but that's because somalia only knew of islam by mouth and the basic concepts , in other words we were uneducated about the paths we worshipped, but of qaabil we could tell our own hundreds of yards away. as proof of this how many of ur own elder parents or other relatives know the quran and what it really states with out heresay?

Hasina   

Salaam all,

I think for some somalis qabiil is of importance, it plays a big role in our lives, whilst Islam took a backseat. Somalis also like some Muslim countries, find it hard to differentiate between culture and religion. I've seen children as young as 5 being thought qabiil, whilst they know nothing about our blessed Prophet's life, which is really shameful. However, most Somalis are Muslims, but the sad truth is most of them are Somali first than Muslim, rather than vice versa.