Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Maid in Lebanon abuse video kills herself

Suicide comes days after footage emerged of Ethiopian woman being violently dragged on Beirut street by male employer.

An Ethiopian domestic worker in Lebanon who was filmed being physically abused in public has committed suicide, local media have reported.

The video, first aired by Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation International (LBCI) last week, caused outrage by showing a man abusing Alem Dechasa as she cried on a street outside the Ethiopian embassy in Beirut.

The man was shown grabbing Dechasa and telling her, "get into the car" while she screamed out, "no, no, no". Another man then assisted in dragging Dechasa into the back of a car as she struggled to resist.

Asaminew Debelie Bonssa, Ethiopian general consul in Lebanon, told The Daily Star newspaper in Beirut that Dechasa committed suicide by hanging herself early on Wednesday morning at a psychiatric hospital where she had been taken after the incident.

Bonssa told The Daily Star that he had seen Dechasa on Saturday in the hospital and that she was making plans to return to Ethiopia.

'Larger issue'

After the video was aired, LBCI used the car’s license plate number to identify the man.

“[The man] tried to justify his act by denying that he beat her. He stressed that the worker tried to commit suicide more than once, and that he tried dealing with her humanely, but she refused to go to the airport for deportation,” LBCI reported on its website.

Activists in Lebanon, outraged by the video, posted the man's contact information on internet social media sites and called for action against him.

Reports of domestic worker abuse are widespread, with many allegedly locked in employers’ homes.

Rola Abimourched, programme co-ordinator at KAFA (Enough) Violence and Exploitation, told Al Jazeera that Dechasa's case may increase scrutiny into the problem.

"This case may indicate the larger issue of migrant domestic workers' vulnerability to abuse in Lebanon, which puts the whole system in question. Namely, the sponsorship system which ties the domestic worker to one employer and does not guarantee her basic human rights," Abimourched said.

"We hope that an investigation into her death will determine what happened."

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies

nuune   

^^ Is Saudi Arabia any better when when it comes to maids, I do have horror stories narrated by people, mostly Somalis.

NGONGE   

^^ The entire gulf is no better. The only difference here is that there are actual 'civilised' poeple in Lebanon who would publicise such abuse and try to find ways to stop it.

p.s.

Che, Xabashis V Arabs (your two worst enemies), who do you back here? :D

wyre   

nuune;804198 wrote:
^^ Is Saudi Arabia any better when when it comes to maids, I do have horror stories narrated by people, mostly Somalis.

It's not that public Nuunka waa khaarajin daahsoon tan sucuudiga :D:D

BOB   

^^^Imagine the hell he must have put the poor woman through that she felt suicide was the only way out! He must have abused her both physically (including sexually) and mentally that she felt only death offered solution to her ordeal. Most stories that you hear from these sexually oppressed arabs is that they rape their domestic workers especially the foreigners whom they know are vulnerable and can’t go to the authorities and seek justice against them.

He should taste his own medicine and get the same punishment that he handed out to the deceased and then force him to pay her blood money and support her family like she used to for the rest of his worthless life.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Coofle   

I don't think someone who is fighting back and trying to run away will be willing to kill herself...Hadal nin wayn loogu sheekeeyo maaha....

Is't it funny how everyone else's face is pixelated but they think it's ok to show her face? Qashin. :( Wyre, waankugu raac sanahay, ayagaa ka masuul ah gabadha dilka eey isku geeysatay.

Did she commit suicide or they have tortured her to death.? No one can imagine the abuse she and the rest of domestic workers go through behind the close doors. And Lebanon is supposedly the civilized one among the Arab countries. I hope the Habashi Embassy/Government will make some noises on her behalf, at least? God bless her soul!

oh that was horrible to watch, such a sad case. Something must be done about these abuses that have been going on for far too long.

Archdemos;804265 wrote:
oh that was horrible to watch, such a sad case. Something must be done about these abuses that have been going on for far too long.

Sxb don't worry, everyone pay's for their crime someday sooner or later. Ama aakhiro, ama aduunka. Kuwaas tooda ayaa sugeyso.

Narniah   

Oh my lord. I will never forget her cries for help. May God punish those savages who did this to her, humiliate them and may they die a merciless & horrendous death ameen.

I don't believe that she killed herself, she was murdered.

NGONGE;804202 wrote:

p.s.

Che, Xabashis V Arabs (your two worst enemies), who do you back here?
:D

I judge people's actions, not too concern about their ethnicity. There's clear right and wrong here and my heart goes out to that woman and her family. Nobody deserves that.

p.s Overwhelming majority of Ethiopians are poor and dirty just like us. It's their elite that I have bone to pick with.