Sign in to follow this  
Archdemos

Alternative Energy (Wind) Somalia??

3tier_5km_global_wind_speed.jpg

From this study it seems Somalia has the potential to be a wind energy powerhouse. I know some of the drawbacks associated with this expensive option especially here in the UK with regards to offshore wind farms. However does anyone know of any credible stats or sources for how or if wind power is utilised in Somalia.

Wind power is still almost unknown in Somalia, some people are just starting the use of solar panels but I have been there couple of times and did not see anybody with a wind farm.

Very interesting. If we take the very simplified stance i cant believe someone hasn't invested in a a single 2mw turbine which can power up to 1000 homes with ease at 2kw usage, that's going by industrial western homes usage standards. I'm guessing usage in Somalia would be much less. Cost of 2mw is around $1.3 million and installation logistics plus network infrastructural development and maintenance will easily take you up to a cool $2 million, with cash left over. These things have a life span of at least 20 years if maintained properly and if you buy from Danish and German manufactured components. Anyway there is a business case but as you can see start up capital is quite big. Some one somewhere, maybe a programme for UNEP one day.

ElPunto   

Interesting. I think logistics is a big part of the problem rather than cost. They use expensive diesel generators right now and wind would be cheaper in the long run and without the need to build a national grid but getting everything together would be a nightmare.

nuune   

^^ That is true, the noise associated with the diesel generators is crazy, though there are silent generators but these are very expensive too.

With that sun and wind available all year around in Somalia, it would be a great initiative to start something like that.

I wouldn't like to see such project to be associated with any U N agencies.

Thanks Arch, great ideas, a niche in this case!

ElPunto   

Somalis have money - multi million dollar real estate and malls in Nairobi - now that Xamar is peaceful - I hope we stop investing in other countries.

nuune   

Comes peace in the next few months or this year, then Somalis will start investing in their country, note that some already returned to Somalia from Kenya as recently as this year, settled well in Xamar and their business is going great.

Although in a very small scale i still love the ingenuity of these kids. Doing it for themselves. El Punto these are challenges that can be met with a little organisation and strong will. Inshallah we start to see these beauties crop up all over Somalia.

Artan   

LOL! Tell me how much would an operation like this cost me? I've saved a load of money, have 15 thousand secured (from a friend), and have 5,000 that I've saved up for myself. I'm 20. I am going to Somalia this summer for another business plan.

Great topic Archdemos! Kudos to you.

We need more of these type of productive topics, rather than the regressive cyber-conflicts (over villages and bush) people here love to perpetuate.

burahadeer;804610 wrote:
we have the know-how & the resources( educated diaspora,oil,minerals & now wind power) but lack organization & stability.

True say bro, but things seem to be changing slowly. You know Somalis you just one pioneer to make it work and suddenly you'll see wind farms all around. For such a small population relative to landmass i think this technology could flourish.