Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

SOL Book Shelf

chubacka   

So I am feeling generous and I have decided to buy SOL its own book shelf, as a further testimony to my generous nature I am welcoming all members to add a book of their choice to the book shelf. So one member one book. The Quran is already there so you don't need to add it as your choice.

my choice.

bel_canto_by_an.html

Beautifully written novel about an unusual hostage situation.Read it if you get the chance.

Bel Canto Ann patchett if image is not showing

Chimera   

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay:

imgthe+lions+of+al-rassan7.jpg

The three main characters in The Lions of Al-Rassan represent the three religious factions: Asharites, Jaddites, and Kindath. These three groups represent Islam, Christians, and Jews. The three characters are all very charismatic and are considered to be the perfect specimen of their given factions. Ammar ibn Khairan is a well-known warrior and poet who represents the Asharites/Muslims, Rodrigo Belmonte (El Cid) is the champion for the Christians/Jaddites, and Jehane is the beautiful and intelligent Kindath/Jewish doctor that the two men fall in love with. I did enjoy each of the characters and it was refreshing to see the Asharites/Muslims shown in a favorable light even if it was a more romanticized version. Ammar was a character that you could respond to. Belmonte was also a great character, except he also had a huge flaw, in that he was married to one, if not the most beautiful woman in the realm and he found himself in a love triangle with Ammar and Jehane. This was a lot to swallow as his introduction showed him as honorable and loving no one else aside from his wife. For the story to work you had to buy into his love for another woman. The other woman, Jehane, was also a great character. She was very strong and did a great job of moving the story forward. Even the supporting cast had great parts to play as the story unfolded. Kay does an excellent job with characters, although there is a small need to stretch the imagination and buy into Belmonte's love for Jehane but as I said it is a small stretch even if it tarnishes his honorable image.

http://speculativebookreview.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-lions-of-al-rassan-by-guy.html

wyre   

Across the bridge by mwangi gicheru

Published in 1979, the book was set in East Africa in the post colonial Kenya. The themes in this book include love, wealth versus poverty among others. The main characters are Caroline, Chuma the narrator, Kihuthu, Caroline’s father.

The book begins with a quote from the narrator Chuma, who we learn is a houseboy in the Kihuthu household.

“Hail jail! The house for all. The only house where a government minister and a pickpocket dine together, work, discuss matters on equal terms. The only place where equality is exercised regardless the social class.”

When Kihuthu’s daughter Caroline falls in love with Chuma and becomes pregnant with his child, she disgraces her family, who feel especially humiliated by Chuma’s lowly status as a mere houseboy.

For Chuma, the development is a reminder that life is unfair and for that he does not like himself. He says regretfully,

“A factory reject. That’s what I was. Made up of third class material. The leftovers of creation. I suspect God created me shortly before lunch…..he left me incomplete.”