Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Somalis and Oromos

In the recent topic about "Somali bantus", questions on the topic of the origins of the Somali people/name were raised. I asked to following question in that thread, in response to someone:

OdaySomali;797985 wrote:
Somali
'soo maal'
ardul-soo-maal
. ? Or does it have to do with this
Seemaale
ive vaguely heard off... ?

My question still stands.

Anyhow, I came across this list of the various subclans of 'Oromo' recentyly, bear in mind it is a Wikipedia list (:D) but it is very interesting and it is certainly thought provoking:

This list says that there are two main 'Oromo' groups. Namely the 'Borana' and 'Bareento'. The 'Borana' split into two groups:

(a) 'Samaalo' (Seemaale, Somali ?)

(b) 'Ormaa' (Oromo ?)

However then the list also details the second 'Oromo' sub-sub clan the Bareento (as opposed to the Borana) called:

"The Afran Qallo which refers to the 4 decedents of Qallo, who are: Ala Oromo, Oborra Oromo, Babille Oromo, Dagaa Oromo.

Then, under the Babille Oromo come these groups:

Hawiyaa :

--Gurgaate

--Gungudhaabe

--Jambeele

--Haaskul

--Karaanle

While, under the Dagaa Oromo you will find:

Noolee Oromo -> Warra Fatoo:

Manaa Usmaan

Manaa Omaar

Manaa Mahammad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oromo_people#Sub_groups

Then as we are all aware, there are also various groups where there is a lot of grey area as to whether they are Oromo or Somali, who often speak both languages/share lineages to both sides. And incidentally these groups tend to be the ones who live on "the border" areas of where Somali and Oromo lands meet.

What is more than likely the case, is that Oromos, though being a distinct people, have incorporated various 'Somali' groups and sub-groups.

Similarly, Somalis, though being a distinct people the same 'level' as Oromo, have also in their part incorporated various 'Oromo' groups and sub-groups.

Naturally, Somali and Oromo being neighbours, there is some overlap.

However as there is no difinitive evidence that one group entirely sub-sumes the other, it is most likely that on the higherarchical level, 'Somali' inay la siman tahay 'Oromo'. As we can see in the list of oromo sub-clans they have two main groups "Samaalo" and "Ormaa", which suggests something ??

It is also more than likely that the various peoples of the region share ancestry... going back 000's of years back that is.

^Wait minute, here comes the descendants of the mythical Arab Shiekhs

Che, Shiikhii Doonta miyaa? ;) no problem he can be accommodated here, maybe he was originally Oromo, went to Arabia as asylum and came back with a Yemeni passport. just joking.

I think there needs to be a deep research to be done on Somalis and their origins, in these days its very simple since the DNA technique is advanced and they used this method to determine on some experimental DNA testing on Afro Americans to pinpoint where exactly in West Africa they originated from.

I also remember reading some study that suggested, as is generally accepted, that Oromos contrary to Somalis, have more "Negroid" features and a larger percentage of sub-saharan africa DNA atributable. So there is a difference - we are the larger percentage of unique DNA compared to them; which is again indicative of something.

Mukulaalow;800983 wrote:
I think there needs to be a deep research to be done on Somalis and their origins, in these days its very simple since the DNA technique is advanced and they used this method to determine on some experimental DNA testing on Afro Americans to pinpoint where exactly in West Africa they originated from.

Has already been done and if my recollection is correct, somalis were found to have 5% attributable "subharan african DNA", 15% Eurasian DNA and the remainder is 'unique'.

Has already been done and if my recollection is correct, somalis were found to have 5% attributable "subharan african DNA", 15% Eurasian DNA and the remainder is 'unique'.

Ok. I didn't know that, is there anywhere I can read the results Oday, do you have the research result with you, if yes, paste it pls, love to read it.

Garnaqsi   

Che -Guevara;800976 wrote:
^Wait minute, here comes the descendants of the mythical Arab Shiekhs

LOL! I had debate with two of them the other day. We had a bet on it and I produced two Somali authors and more than half a dozen Western historians maintaining that the Arab descendancy story is myth. They insisted that they know a guy who knows a guy who knows an Arab Sheikh who has the documents proving the story of a particular Sheikh. True story!

Somalia   

Nonsense. Some of us are descendants of the great Abdirahman Ismail Jeberti. I do not know where the rest of you came from, that is a mystery we must solve.

I am willing to take a DNA test but I need cash, so let me know which one that wants to donate.

Waryee Garnaqi is ilaali, Xaajiga Xunjuf iyo xertiisa yeysan ku maqal, They believe they are directly from the household of Prophet Muhammad (PPUH), that is why they are called Duriyada, the other guys in Puntland, well they are just happy with an Arab shaikh, they are not pushing hard like the XX guys. ;)

Somalia   

Mukulaalow;801024 wrote:
Waryee Garnaqi is ilaali, Xaajiga Xunjuf iyo xertiisa yeysan ku maqal, They believe they are directly from the household of Prophet Muhammad (PPUH), that is why they are called Duriyada, the other guys in Puntland, well they are just happy with an Arab shaikh, they are not pushing hard like the XX guys.
;)

They just took the story of the guys in Puntland and made it into a novel. It's a more modern theory to separate from their brothers.