Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

Veteran Bashir Goth - Critiqued

NASSIR   

"...The professor has been getting unfair accusations these days from many sides. Even the flip-flopping Somali writer Bashir Goth accused the professor of practicing political opportunism after Dr. Galaydh traveled to Taleh as one of the delegates attending the Khatumo Congress in the historic town which saw the creation of the Khatumo State of Somalia that has been lately welcomed and fully recognized by the Federal government of Somalia. Bashir somehow downplays and underestimates the importance that the Khatumo delegates, including Dr. Galaydh, attach to the Unity of Somalia.

Ironically, Bashir started as a Unionist who used to blast the SNM secessionists in the 1980s by calling them derogatory names attributed to Sayed Mohamed Abdulla Hassan, the father of modern Somali Nationalism. He suddenly switched sides when his distant relative, Rayale, became the President of the breakaway enclave of Somaliland. Lately, after Rayale lost the election, he slowly and methodically changed his tune and started to reluctantly rejoin the more inclusive Somali train with articles probably meant to test the water before fully rediscovering his old fervor for Somali Unity. In his latest article “David Cameron’s Welcome Colonial Arrogance, one gets the impression that a patriotic Somali Unionist bemoans the current miserable situation of a once proud nation. In his concluding remarks, he even rightly accuses the British of shattering the Somali dream of greater Somalia: “For it was Cameron’ predecessors, British gentlemen like him, who divided the Somali territory and gifted parts of it to neighboring countries against the will of the Somali people. It was the indefatigable search for the dream of greater Somalia that Cameron’s forefathers have shattered in the 20th century that led the Somalis to end up in vain and turn against each other in frustration in the 21st century.”

The man who wrote “Will the Arabs dare to listen to Somaliland,” sounds today like one defending Somali Nationalism. Let us hope that he stays the course this time. I certainly like this new and reborn Bashir better who, by the way, is a very close friend of mine.

In his article “From Garadag “State” to London Conference: Mr. Silanyo’s Checkered Journey to Power”, Bashir accuses Dr. Galaydh of using Khatumo as a stepping stone towards securing a seat in the London Conference: “it is therefore painful to see a man of Dr. Galaydh’s status who at one time lobbed for a leadership position in Somaliland to use the brotherly people’s blood as a ticket to get a seat in the London Conference.”

With this sentence, Bashir has dismissed the vision and ambitions of hundreds of delegates in Taleh and labeled their gathering as a stepping stone for one Dr. Galaydh to gain a seat in the London Conference. Since the Khatumo concept started long before David Cameron decided to convene a conference for Somalia, it is an absurd accusation. With these remarks, Bashir negates the desire of thousands of Somalis to break away from a situation that denied them all the tenets of basic human rights. These territories were labeled as disputed territories and were no-go zones for UN agencies for two decades. Unlike Awdal, Bashir’s Region, the children of these regions lack basic education and health-care. Many lost their lives for protesting against the unjustified occupation of their capital city, Las Anod. Many ended up in the miserable refugee camps of Hagardheer and Dadaab in Kenya.

It is a well known fact that Awdal intellectuals like Goth and the Samatar brothers have formed the TOL group which is basically an umbrella that caters for the development needs of our brothers in Awdal. Therefore, I do not see the logic behind denying Dr. Galaydh a similar role and accusing him of a hidden political agenda. As a matter of fact, Dr. Galaydh has belatedly realized that his own constituency lags behind all other Somali territories in the fields of social and economic development. He therefore collaborated with other intellectuals like Dr. Ali Isse Abdi, a former IMF official to embark on a long journey to give these so-called disputed territories a voice. The long journey culminated in the birth of the Khatumo State of Somalia. Unlike the neighboring Somaliland, Khatumo strives to uphold Somali unity at all costs. That is why cities like Buhodle stood up to the repeated forceful attempts of Somaliland to divide the country along old and defunct colonial borders.

The conflict in Buhodle to which the traditional leaders in the North West are referring to started long before Dr. Galaydh and his compatriots started the Khatumo train in London. The conflict did not start with the last stop for the train in Taleh but long before it left the station in London in April 2011.

STOIC   

The author shouldn't bring out the campaign yet, for Bashir Goth has yet to declare to join the bed-wetting Unionists.But one thing Somali political sworn enemies concur about is that Bashir was a bit hasty in his Garadad article.Clearly Bashir saw the Somaliland attendance of the London conference from conspiracy theory angle.This obsession of conspiracy derives from our clan allegiance and connections.It only crystallizes when we suspect reer Fuulaan wa Fuulaan are up to no good.Bashir Goth got his enviable reputation by virtue of maintaining a balanced analysis of Somaliland issues .See i didn't say Somalia because he is a secessionist and your bias alert should be up when you reading his articles regarding the rest of Somalia politics. Same goes for this Wardheer internet pen warriors. Its a bit unfair to criticize Bashir as someone who shifts his opinions when he finds it convenient.I'm sure Bashir will not shield away from public criticism.If anything his writing now obtains a new spirit of fairly criticizing SL.

Stoic, when did you become this hardened goosashadoon folk? I hadn't seen sujuu sidaan camal u rabo in Soomaaliya loo kala gooyo. At worst, they are ambivalent.

Ma xaajiyadaa guursatay ayaa this hardcore kaa dhigtay? 058.gif

^LOL Stoic and NGONGE hada iyaagaa madaxda ah.

I have seen Bashir Goth's articles poems/articles from late 80s, He did 180 when the regime fell.. Any criticism is well deserved, that's not to say those dishing out the criticism are any better.

STOIC   

MM,

Waar Xajiyataa wa Fish and Chips...Koronto aya lagukoreey..Waar baa mahayso...though She warn me not to post anything on SOL anymore, but my argument was I was member here for eight years.I can't just drop my SOL family....I was ambivalent too ever since I was in Kenya even when i was seven years old they brought victims of Barre in our homes during the SNM war...I just had to support the SL project for practical reasons, but if the south becomes peaceful and builds a clean government i will get my blue flag....Horta anything i say here is just dacdacshoo..hope nobody takes it serious.....

but if the south becomes peaceful and builds a clean government i will get my blue flag....

Bas, bas, xaaji, intaan ayaa lagaa rabay. Xaajiyadana nagu salaan if she was Reer Koronto. Reer Kanada waa isbishaalee, you know it. 046.gif

STOIC   

MM, Dawlada xalaalka ayaan suugaayaa.One that doesn't blaze in steel and fire...I'm waiting for the plaintive melody of South Somalia to stop first and then switch sides and perhaps convince my brethren to join us, but for now i have nothing to offer the tolka.All i can do for them now is be a bit constructive, open spirited and patriotic for their unfinished journey......

LANDER   

STOIC;800691 wrote:
MM,

Waar Xajiyataa wa Fish and Chips...Koronto aya lagukoreey..Waar baa mahayso...though She warn me not to post anything on SOL anymore, but my argument was I was member here for eight years.I can't just drop my SOL family....I was ambivalent too ever since I was in Kenya even when i was seven years old they brought victims of Barre in our homes during the SNM war...I just had to support the SL project for practical reasons, but if the south becomes peaceful and builds a clean government i will get my blue flag....Horta anything i say here is just dacdacshoo..hope nobody takes it serious.....

Ceebay did you say Blue flag. War Sujui-ow ha nagu ceebayn meesha bal eeg qosolka weyn ee kaga keentay ninkan magac Miskiinka la baxay.

STOIC   

Lander,

Let's suppose, if the SL project will not take off twenty years down the road and the south builds a confident government, i think it will be safe to play a genial host to the blue flag one more time.I hope a consensus will be reached by SL leaders to abandon the project or else we will stay in limbo forever...I'm sure this back-to-the-future approach brings little enthusiasm in you and all the die-hard secessionist, but I'll not be surprised if opinions shift.I console myself that the rest of the world will take notice, but sometimes practical problems will call for practical solutions.My goal is not to induce a sense of defeat and i wholeheartedly support the project. This is not a mishmash of appeasement, but just looking ahead....for now all what i'm saying is just pie-in-the-sky....

Taleexi   

Stoic's true colors have surfaced. Clan is everything for him basically his oxygen is. However, the prolific writer, Bashir Goth, can not have both ways and cannot insult the intelligence of his audience in perpetuity we are in the information age folks!. The great regional state of Somaliland consists of Waqooyi Galbeed, western Sanaag and and northern Togdheer. And "SL" will meet with the TFG in Turkey representing their constituents alone. The likes of born again secessionists like STOIC is extremely hard for them to decipher.

NASSIR: Will the real Bashir Goth stand up?

Taleexi you forget sool eastern and central sanaag and awdal goths calls awdal state a facebook state goth runti wa rageedi. His brother is also cool he is an advisor of the current sl govt.

STOIC   

Talexi, horta nimaankiinaan SSC dagaal socotto baat tihiin (Excuse the spelling)...Your crew have more than once egregiously attributed my support of SL to clan allegiance.Someone can have important and wise opinions without beelining behind his or her clan. I support SL because it has achieved a progress far exceeding the expectations of the sensible world, and left people like wardheer contributors reeling.SL understood the darkness of Somalia for the last twenty years and they handled it correctly by building their region.I honestly believe your state is real and alive, but exceedingly remote from recognized beyond the four wall of the dancing halls.Ceeb na mahaa..it takes time to build the momentum.If you become more patient and play the game of convincing your people like SL (of course with real development) you may see this terrible dancehall state as having within it the seeds of change one day...marka qabyaladaa haigushegiin (Sp?)

Wadani   

Taleexi, u know full well the SNM clan also resides in sool. Where do u think the cities of caynabo and oog are located? And all of togdheer is inahbited by SNM clan too, not just the northern part. I support the wishes of the ssc people, but i dont appreciate when imaginary demographics and make belief borders are spouted all over the place.