Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Is Somalia mono-cultural or multi-cultural?

Carafaat   

I used to think that Somalia was a mono-cultural society. With one history going back to Sheicks from Arabia, one language written in the 70's, one ethinicity being a combination of Arab and Ethiopian, one nomadic pastoralist culture, the same clan based structure, Ethiopia is a christian society and our historic our arch enemy, certain land and cities belonged to certain clans, Somalia's conflict was one based on clan and could be solved through clans.

But now I am begining to think, this might one version of the story. What do you think?

Carafaat do you know where it all went wrong when the Sumaals people like you and me tried to introduce their way of culture into the rest of the said Somalis in particularly those who we call the farmers who go by the name of Biyo-maal. Our Nomadic pastroralist culture i just a section of what our people are and that's where it all went wrong. There are two major tribes who claim that they are from Arabia or have some genealogical links with the Arabian peninsula kuwa kale waxay yidhahan cali zulu baanu la tol nahay.

RaMpAgE   

Only a Idio* would think that.

- Somalia was never fully homogeneous country, there are other ethnicities, Bantu's, Arabs, etc

- Somalia's history doesn't go back to Arabia, only delusional people believe such stuff. Somalia has 6000+ history.

- We do have one language with many variations.

- Somalis are not a mixture of anyone, genetics has proven that

- Our culture is not only nomadic pastoralist's as some would like to make us think, but also farmers, and urbanites. Before colonialism all the

cities that exist today existed.

- Ethiopia is our rival for better or worse, either way we have to deal with it.

- I don't think the Somali conflict was based on clan's, it was more to do with economic situation and power. Clan was the cover.

Coofle   

Recently I had the same thoughts and came to following conclusion...

---We should define the Somali Identity!!!! I don't want to touch a sensitive issues but Are we "Somalis" by Culture, Religion, Skin complexion, Language, Body build etc...

Personally anyone From Djibouti to Hiiraan Including (Most of Soomali galbeed) Somaliland,puntland iyo Gobolada dhexe ,,,,Is a pure Somali .... And we share the same factors,,,Religion, Language, Skin complexion and culture...

A good example would be ; If we bring a nomadic (Not reer magaal ) Somali man from his own degmo in Shiniile(Ethiopia, Near Diridhaba) or Lughaya(Awdal, Somaliland) and Just drop him in Jawiil(Hiiraan, Somalia) or Eyl (Puntland), He will have no problem in communicating with his other fellow nomads....I have seen it practically...Slight changes do not count ....

A transitional zone exists in Shabelle Regions,,,The same Nomad from Shiniile(Ethiopia), Will be confused but not disoriented, He will understand many of the practices and words but he will miss many other aspects..

The problem starts in Bay and Bakool,,,Althought I respect their View on Somali being Two parts (Maay iyo Maxaa tiri) but still Someone from Badhan(Sanaag, Somaliland) or Jigjiga (Kilil 5, Ethiopia) will have a hard time living among them...I am not aruging on the language front only, But also on the cultural aspect...

In Kismayo and Gedo, I don't have enough interaction with peoples from those areas therefore it would be wrong to judge, but I have seen both groups, A real Somali nomad and a Real Soomaali Qodaal who speaks Maay maay/ or something like it...

^Horta hooyooyinka qurbaha meesha hasoo galin mida kale it's statistically impossible for few men in period less than 1000 years to propagate millions of people and outnumber locals in some instances.

Che berigaas na sidaas uun bey u dhali jireen how big was the Somali population 500 years ago,Sidaas uun bey u dhali jireen ka fakir in 50 years time Somalidu will be more than 50 Million laakin waxaso oo dhan ilahay ba inaga og.

Carafaat   

Coofle;796898 wrote:
Recently I had the same thoughts and came to following conclusion...

---
We should define the Somali Identity!!!!
I don't want to touch a sensitive issues but Are we "Somalis" by Culture, Religion, Skin complexion, Language, Body build etc...

Personally anyone From Djibouti to Hiiraan Including
(Most of Soomali galbeed) Somaliland,puntland iyo Gobolada dhexe
,,,,Is a pure Somali .... And we share the same factors,,,Religion, Language, Skin complexion and culture...

A good example would be ; If we bring a nomadic (Not reer magaal ) Somali man from his own degmo in
Shiniile
(Ethiopia, Near Diridhaba) or
Lughaya
(Awdal, Somaliland) and Just drop him in
Jawiil
(Hiiraan, Somalia) or
Eyl
(Puntland), He will have no problem in communicating with his other fellow nomads....I have seen it practically...Slight changes do not count ....

A transitional zone exists in
Shabelle Regions
,,,The same Nomad from
Shiniile
(Ethiopia), Will be confused but not disoriented, He will understand many of the practices and words but he will miss many other aspects..

The problem starts in
Bay and Bakool,
,,Althought I respect their View on Somali being Two parts
(Maay iyo Maxaa tiri
) but still Someone from
Badhan
(Sanaag, Somaliland) or
Jigjiga
(Kilil 5, Ethiopia) will have a hard time living among them...I am not aruging on the language front only, But also on the cultural aspect...

In Kismayo and Gedo, I don't have enough interaction with peoples from those areas therefore it would be wrong to judge, but I have seen both groups, A real Somali nomad and a Real Soomaali Qodaal who speaks Maay maay/ or something like it...

So what is your point? That there are Somali pastoralist and Somali nomads? Or are you conforming Maay iyo Maxaatiri?

gooni   

Waa isku wada qaab isku midab isku af isku diin isku dhaqan wax u kala saaran ma jiraan,afka mayga iyo jiiddaha waa laba af oo ka qadiimsan maxaad tiriga sidaan maqlay waana asalka maxaad tirigu ka yimid,ma'ahan multi cultural soomaalidu waa qoys kaliya waxaad ku ogaan kartaa meel kasta haka yimaadee waad isku xirmaysaan

Markaad fiiriso qurbaha way adagtahay soomaalidu inay umadaha kale dhex galaan waa ban-joog aan xataa daymo qaboobayn, xataa xoolaheena gaariga lagama dajin karo iska daa inaad si sahlan ku biraysee

Tan carabaan ka nimid oo carabtaan u ekaan lahay hadaan awoowe islaanta madow guursan iyo awoowgay urduni buu ahaa ee oromaa sidaan ii gashay waa sheeko cajiiba, su'aasha ka iman kartaa waxay tahay hadayba jirto carabtaas soo haajirtay aqoonta lahayd, maxay caruurtooda wax u bari waayeen waa nagaa baliga isku dilaynee? mise ayeeyaa wax na bartay oo odoyaashii isla markiiba way dhinteen?

BOB   

Before you all come to a conclusion I suggest you should read the Somali history and read well and I'm not talking about the so-called history that your tribesmen invented over a cup of tea just to delude you and themselves but the proper history from the 1st century BC (Yes we existed before Jesus, the son of mary...peace be upon him ) how many of you know that we've been business orientated people doing business with the greeks and the roman sailors long before Garissa lodge in Eastleigh? Most people know of the Osman sultunate in Bari but how many Somalis know there were three more powerful and more successful Somali sultanates before that? The Adal sultunate (led by Sam'r00n) in North West, Biyomaal sultunate in South and Ajur'an sultunate in South and Central.

Following the collapse/defeats of Adal and Ajur'an. in the early and late 17th century, Somalia saw the growth and gradual rise of many successor city-states such as the Sultanates of eastern Sanaag of Bari and of Hobyo and from 1884 colonial powers swamped Somalia and brought our long and proud history down to it's knees and as history will show we've never recovered from that to this day.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Bob Adal Empire had nothing to do with the clan you mentioned Sabr ad-Din was not from that clan matter in-fact the entire sultanate had nothing to do with that particular clan you mentioned.