Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Is Somalia mono-cultural or multi-cultural?

Carafaat   

BoB, I didnt know we had a history going back to Romans and Greek.

How would you explain that we Somali( or atleast I ) have such a narrow vieuw of our history? And that we are hardly interested in the much wider, broader and divers history?

BOB   

Xaaji Xunjuf;797236 wrote:
Bob Adal Empire had nothing to do with the clan you mentioned Sabr ad-Din was not from that clan matter in-fact the entire sultanate had nothing to do with that particular clan you mentioned.

Brother, You're talking about an entirely different kettle of fish here called Walashma dynasty that ruled Ifat sultunate in Harar. Their earliest recorded history dates back to 12th century and almost all the prominent historians agree that their earliest known king was called Omar Ibn Dunya-huz who passed away in 1275 and their last ruler of this dynasty was Sultan Barakat Ibn Omar Din who was defeated and driven away from his home of Harar by amxaaro army under general Hamalmal in 1559 and as for Sabr Ad-Din I, He didn't even make it beyond 1330's as he was defeated and captured by the Amxaaro. According to Futūḥ al-Ḥabasha, after the death of Sa'ad Ad-din II, the Adal empire succeeded the Ifat kingdom and continued waging war against the Solomonic christian empire in Ethiopia.

History shows that Adal empire was larger and more powerful than Walashma dynasty. They had the largest and the best trained army in the entire peninsula hence the size of the land conquered and ruled by the empire. The single most crucial element that helped the empire to remain strong for so long was Islam and that brought many other Somali tribes and many other tribes that lived and still live in the horn of africa under the empire and in the later stages the umpire became multi-ethnic that fucntioned under the single banner of Islam.

Adal empire ruled the horn of Africa from 1415-1555 and the capital of the empire in it's entire existance was Zeila (Saylac) and the official languages were Somali, Oromo, Afar and Arabic.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Bob the walashma dynasty was prior to the adal empire true but it was not led by the Somalis at least not the leaders i was not talking about Sabr ad diin the first i was talking about Sabr ad din the second even with Jamal ad-Din II who was leading the Muslim armies into battle he was the one who defeated the Ethiopians at bale and yedaye but Bob Jamal was not a Somali but its true their capital was seylac now and days awdal and many clans lived there at that time but the sultanate did not belong to a single clan who lived in that region.

BOB   

Carafaat;797366 wrote:
BoB, I didnt know we had a history going back to Romans and Greek.

How would you explain that we Somali( or atleast I ) have such a narrow vieuw of our history? And that we are hardly interested in the much wider, broader and divers history?

Brother aniga sidaan u arko arrinta taas keentay waa labo siyaabood, 1- Ma nihin dad wax qora oo waxaan nahay 'oral soceity' taas oo keentay in ay meesha ka baxdo taariikhdii Soomaalida iyo Soomaaliya. 2- Aqoon la'aan, ma nihin dad taariikhda qiimeeya sababtoo ah ma fahamsanin macnaha ay leedahay inay bulshadu barato taariikhdeeda taasoo keentay inay sahlanaato in wax walba been laga sheego. tusaale ahaan maanta qabiil Soomaali ah oo haya taariikhdiisa saxda ah lama hayo aan ka aheyn wax la abaabulay oo aan runta wax sal ah ku laheyn taasna waxey ku tusaysaa jaahilnimada dadkeena haysta, sababtoo ah marba hadaa taariikhdaada aqoon waxii doono ayaa laguu sheegi karaa and eventually you'll believe it...waxaan maalin walbo doodi jirnay wiil madoowga south africa ah oo wuxuu ku doodi jiray in dadku asalkiisa kasoo jeedo daanyeer markaasuu wuxuu iisoo quote gareen jiray Charles Darwin's branching pattern of evolution and my own cousin isaguna wuxuu rumeysanyahay arrinta Che kor ku xusay oo ah in Soomaalida qaarkood carab kasoo jeedo taasna waxay ku tusaysaa inaan nahay dad lunsan oo aan historygooda aqoon oo raadinaya meel ay kasoo jeedaan iyo cida ay ku abtirsadaan.

Over all I'd advice you not to take the easy way out and settle for what little you know of your history, do your own little research and read every book that you can get your hands on whether big or small, old or new and I promise you, it will do you a world of good and expand your horizon...knowledge is the key my brother and remember don't limit the capability of your mind for it has no limit so do some exploration and who knows you might finally find the key to unlock this mystery called Somali.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Xaaji Xunjuf;797462 wrote:
Bob the walashma dynasty was prior to the adal empire true but it was not led by the Somalis at least not the leaders i was not talking about Sabr ad diin the first i was talking about Sabr ad din the second even with Jamal ad-Din II who was leading the Muslim armies into battle he was the one who defeated the Ethiopians at bale and yedaye but Bob Jamal was not a Somali but its true their capital was seylac now and days awdal and many clans lived there at that time but the sultanate did not belong to a single clan who lived in that region.

Brother, read Futuh Al-Habasha and you'll realise that Sabr ad-Din II, Mansur ad-Din, Jamal ad-Din II, Shams ad-Din and general Mahfud all fought against the Solomonic Christian Empire with the help of a small army from the Adal Empire but they never managed to deafeat Amxaaro until finally the Adal empire organized an effective army led by a certain SOMALI general named Ahmed Ibrahim Al-Ghazi 'Gurey'.

Now I can give you the names of qabiiladii Soomaalida ee u badnaa ciidanka Ahmed Gureey but it will be irrelevant as they were not fighing under a tribal banner but a Islamic one and it's better to leave it that way, the point is and history backs me up on this that Adal Empire was established by Samar00n and like I said in my earlier post it eventually became a multi-ethnic muslim empire otherwise it would've and could've never managed to topple and conquer Solomons christian kingdom.

Ghenghis Khan was a mongol but do you think his army were all Mongols? There were thousands of Turks, Chinese, Koreans and beleive it or not his advisors and consultants included Muslims, Christians and Budhists and yet nobody mentions them simply because they were not fighting for Mongolia but for their greed and lust, same goes for Alexander 'The Great' not all his army were Greeks or Macedonians, in fact there were more non-greeks and macedonians in the army ranks but still history ignores them and gives all the credit to Alexander and Temujin and so is the case with Adal Empire.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Carafaat   

BOB;797466 wrote:
Brother aniga sidaan u arko arrinta taas keentay waa labo siyaabood, 1- Ma nihin dad wax qora oo waxaan nahay 'oral soceity' taas oo keentay in ay meesha ka baxdo taariikhdii Soomaalida iyo Soomaaliya. 2- Aqoon la'aan, ma nihin dad taariikhda qiimeeya sababtoo ah ma fahamsanin macnaha ay leedahay inay bulshadu barato taariikhdeeda taasoo keentay inay sahlanaato in wax walba been laga sheego. tusaale ahaan maanta qabiil Soomaali ah oo haya taariikhdiisa saxda ah lama hayo aan ka aheyn wax la abaabulay oo aan runta wax sal ah ku laheyn taasna waxey ku tusaysaa jaahilnimada dadkeena haysta, sababtoo ah marba hadaa taariikhdaada aqoon waxii doono ayaa laguu sheegi karaa and eventually you'll believe it...waxaan maalin walbo doodi jirnay wiil madoowga south africa ah oo wuxuu ku doodi jiray in dadku asalkiisa kasoo jeedo daanyeer markaasuu wuxuu iisoo quote gareen jiray Charles Darwin's branching pattern of evolution and my own cousin isaguna wuxuu rumeysanyahay arrinta Che kor ku xusay oo ah in Soomaalida qaarkood carab kasoo jeedo taasna waxay ku tusaysaa inaan nahay dad lunsan oo aan historygooda aqoon oo raadinaya meel ay kasoo jeedaan iyo cida ay ku abtirsadaan.

Over all I'd advice you not to take the easy way out and settle for what little you know of your history, do your own little research and read every book that you can get your hands on whether big or small, old or new and I promise you, it will do you a world of good and expand your horizon...knowledge is the key my brother and remember don't limit the capability of your mind for it has no limit so do some exploration and who knows you might finally find the key to unlock this mystery called Somali.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BoB,

Some years ago I started asking some questions to some elders on our origin. How it was possible that one man can have procreated so many millions of folks? Where the real inhabitents of the regions are? Who build these ancient coastal cities if our folks are nomadic? And lastly if it was possible that some smaller clans have merged with our clan. Well you can imagine that it ended in a heated and emotional debate. Questioning or doubting the original clan hypothesis is not merely a historical questioning for some, it's an highly emotional charged issue for some that has direct effect on today's situation or status.

This has triggered my curiousity and I started digging deeper, till I finally came to the same conlusion as you wrote here above. that we dont know a lot from our history, that our oral told history is unreliable and the on to often history is politisized.

Maaddeey   

'...until finally the Adal empire organized an effective army led by a certain SOMALI general named Ahmed Ibrahim Al-Ghazi 'Gurey'.

Bob, if you read Futuuh Al Xabashah carefully, you will see Ahmed Gurey is not SOMALI!.

BOB   

Carafaat,

Odayaashu don’t have much to offer or much to add to what you and me already know as far as our history is concerned marka adiga baaris samee oo akhri bug kasta oo aad is leedahay waxbaad ka faaiideysaneysaa Insha Allah. It’s not going to be easy and I can assure you that it will be long boring, confusing and tiring process but eventually it will be worth it.

Maadeey,

Futuux Al Xabash does not mention his ethnicity but rather focuses on his military conquest which is understandable since he was not fighting for qabiil but Islam, however I’ve come across and read many books about him and they all say imaamku wuxuu ahaa Somali ku dhashay meel u dhow Zeila (Saylac) mise waxaa rabtaa inaan ku dhaho qabiil hebel uu ahaa ? Lool naga dhaaf hee widaayow.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB;797476 wrote:
Brother, read Futuh Al-Habasha and you'll realise that Sabr ad-Din II, Mansur ad-Din, Jamal ad-Din II, Shams ad-Din and general Mahfud all fought against the Solomonic Christian Empire with the help of a small army from the Adal Empire but they never managed to deafeat Amxaaro until finally the Adal empire organized an effective army led by a certain SOMALI general named Ahmed Ibrahim Al-Ghazi 'Gurey'.

Now I can give you the names of qabiiladii Soomaalida ee u badnaa ciidanka Ahmed Gureey but it will be irrelevant as they were not fighing under a tribal banner but a Islamic one and it's better to leave it that way, the point is and history backs me up on this that Adal Empire was established by Samar00n and like I said in my earlier post it eventually became a multi-ethnic muslim empire otherwise it would've and could've never managed to topple and conquer Solomons christian kingdom.

Ghenghis Khan was a mongol but do you think his army were all Mongols? There were thousands of Turks, Chinese, Koreans and beleive it or not his advisors and consultants included Muslims, Christians and Budhists and yet nobody mentions them simply because they were not fighting for Mongolia but for their greed and lust, same goes for Alexander 'The Great' not all his army were Greeks or Macedonians, in fact there were more non-greeks and macedonians in the army ranks but still history ignores them and gives all the credit to Alexander and Temujin and so is the case with Adal Empire.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Where does it say adal empire was founded by a particular clan in Awdal who was the leader what is his name we are not talking about about the Somali tribes fighting along side The Imam we are talking about you claiming that a particular clan in awdal founded the Adal empire i ask for a source can you elaborate further on that bob thanks.

BOB   

Brother, The earliest recorded history of Adal empire begins from the 13th century. now we all know that the empire's capital was Zeyla (Saylac) in it's entire existance and at that time Zeyla (Saylac) was ruled by a king named Omar D. Ahmed nicknamed Aw-Barkhadle and his reign was long and successful and when he passed away his children inherited the throne.

Now, I can't provide you a link to 'prove' my point as I don't believe what you find in the net these days can be deemed as authentic as anybody can post misleading 'stories' BUT what I can do is give you a name of a book and the name of an author that will answer every question you may have about Adal empire, who established it, who ran it and who were the original residents and the rightful owners of the city used to be known as 'The Light' in the muslim world but Saylac to you and me today. I've said in my earlier post and I'll say it again that the empire became a multi-ethnic MUSLIM empire afterwards and many different Somali tribes, Oromos, Afars, Hararis, Arabs (from Yemen)and Turks from the Ottoman empire all joined in because of the Jihaad against the gaalada taasoo u sahashay inay ka adkaadaan Solomonic Christian Empire. For example Imam Gurey used canons against amxaaro and portuguese which was something they've never seen before waxaana soo siiyay Ottoman Empire who sent quite a large army to help train and fight beside the Adal empire marka xaalku sidaa buu ahaa Xaajiyow ee Boqortooyadii Amxaaro Samar00n kaliyaa jabiyay inaan leeyahay ha moodin, in fact Soomaali oo dhan haday isu tagi laheyd kamaanu adkaaneen ee raggu waa lagu jihaaday oo wixii Muslim ahaa oo Horn of Africa iyo agagaarkiisa joogay (Ottoman empire from the Red Sea regiment) ayaa isugu tagay.

Find a book called (Masalik Al Absaar) written by an egyptian author called Subhul Ahsha, it's not ONLY about Adal empire mind you but about all the muslim conquests, expeditions, tactics, trainings, weapons, warfares, defeats and victories through the long history of Islam. Now if you can prove me wrong then you're more than welcome to do so but if you can't (which I know you can't) then I'd like to take a break and focus on my other interest in life which it's motto reads 'Victory grows out of harmony'. Salam.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Carafaat   

Xaaji, Awdal folks maxaa tariiq ugu diidisaa? I have seen that there is even an old script stil practiced by a few in Borama.

But ..

The EMIR of Harar in the 16th Century (Noor Ibnu Mujahid )was mentioned ethnicallly in the Futuh Al-Habasha and he was one of the Somali qabiils and most of his army was Somali too from across clans .

Maaddeey   

Bob & Xaaji, I know Arab faqeeh doesn't mention The Imam's ethnicity and that is why I said: 'If you read carefully'.

In the book The Imam talks about a certain chief of a clan and says: 'This Soomaali..'. again the author always differentiates The Imam and the Somalis and their troops. Intaa wax ku qaado. Also, there's a mention of person that can be his father and he is referred to as a 'Below' Habashi ethnic that has been arabized.