Sign in to follow this  
Fiqikhayre

Somalia: Andrew Mitchell: ''Britain has no commercial interest in Somalia’s oil''

Somalia: Andrew Mitchell: ''Britain has no commercial interest in Somalia’s oil''

Andrew-Mitchell-300x225.jpg

27 Feb 27, 2012 - 9:01:45 AM

LONDON, England Feb 27 2012 (Garowe Online) – Britain’s Secretary of State for International Development Andrew Mitchell has denied UK Observer’s claims that Britain has a commercial imperative in Somalia, Garowe Online reports.

The UK newspaper the Observer wrote on Sunday that Britain was providing humanitarian aid and security assistance in hopes to a stake of the oil or possibly exploration rights.

The Observer who spoke to Puntland Ministers said that Puntland was offered help in future management of oil revenues. Puntland was also offered technical help and building of oil capacity by oil giant British Petroleum.

Andrew Mitchell who spoke to BBC’s Andrew Marr stated that Britain has no intentions in exploring oil in Somalia. “Of course, of course if oil is found and developed, we want that oil to work for the benefit of the Somali people,” said Mitchell, “But the British Government's development efforts are engaged to make sure that the money is accounted for, spent transparently, and works for the benefit of Somalis.”

Oil drilling has already begun in Puntland and is expected to be extracted in the following weeks. There is an estimated 4 billion barrels of oil in Puntland Dharoor valley according to African Oil but other surveys suggest the exploration site contains double that.

Since before the collapse of Siad Barre’s regime countries like China and the US have been interested in exploring Somalia’s potential oil fields.

GAROWE ONLINE

Timur   

Great point by Mitchell. People need to stop with these conspiracy theories. The UK is merely a political partner of Somalia. The oil is simply an Aussie/Canadian capitalist venture at the time.

ElPunto   

^Ditto. This provides a better explanation of the London Conference than piracy, terrorism and failed state which Somalia has exhibited for some time now.

ElPunto   

^Pie in the sky oil exploration? Is that more your hope and wish? :D

Funny you should talk about pie in the sky - Somaliland recognition anyone? I'll give you this is pie in the sky when you tell me so is the quest for recognition. :P

ElPunto   

^Oh come now. Wouldn't the odds be always better in 1, 5 and 10 years time on oil production over Somaliland recognition?

Oodweyne, I warned you in advance. This is not Duke or 'mad mule' Xiin - you're dealing with a sister far more practiced in debate double-speak. She knows the pirate oil is a mirage but will go around in circles equating that fairy tale with the one area Somaliland has yet to triumph - the issue of recognition. Never mind all the far more important indicators of state-formation and representative governance existent in Somaliland - that will be irrelevant in the argument thrown at you.

ElPunto   

^Oodweyne - my dear chap - don't engage in the clannish zero sum game here. Plenty of failing regions have and continue to produce and export oil. But let's put it this way - if in 20 years nothing has happened to advance those oil plans one iota - I promise I won't put on the rosy tinted glasses that you have been carrying for the last 20. :D

ElPunto   

Sad individual who keeps referring to me as a sister. You're only debasing yourself with that pathetic kind of talk. I have reported you to the mods. Be forewarned.

Oodweyne, I warned you in advance. This is not Duke or 'mad mule' Xiin - you're dealing with a sister far more practiced in debate double-speak. She knows the pirate oil is a mirage but will go around in circles equating that fairy tale with the one area Somaliland has yet to triumph - the issue of recognition. Never mind all the far more important indicators of state-formation and representative governance existent in Somaliland - that will be irrelevant in the argument thrown at you.