Sign in to follow this  
kingofkings

Puntland should reinstate Osmania alphabet

Somali/Osmanya alphabet

The Osmanya alphabet was created in between 1920 and 1922 by Cismaan Yuusuf Keenadiid, brother of the Sultan of Obbia. In Somali it is known as far soomaali (Somali writing) or cismaanya. It replaced an attempt by Sheikh Uweys to devise an Arabic-based alphabet for Somali, and has in turn been replaced by the Latin orthography of Muuse Xaaji Ismaaciil Galaal (1914-1980).

The Osmanya alphabet is not used much these days, though during the 1970s quite a number of people used it for personal correspondence and bookkeeping. A few books and magazines have also been published in the alphabet.

Notable features

Direction of writing: left to right in horizontal rows.

The names of the letters are based on Arabic letter names.

The letters waw and ya are used to write the long vowels uu and ii respectively.

Somali is a tonal language with four tones which are not usually marked in writing. The tones have grammatical uses: theny indicate number, gender and case.

somali.gif

Numerals

somali_num.gif

Sample text

smp_osmanya.gif

Latin alphabet for Somali

In 1961 both the Latin and Osmanya scripts were adopted for use in Somalia, but in 1969 there was a coup, with one of its stated aims the resolution of the debate over the country's writing system. The Latin alphabet was finally adopted in 1972 and at the same time Somali was made the sole official language of Somalia. Shire Jama Ahmed (Shire Jaamac Axmed / شيري جامع أحمد‎) is credited with the invention of this spelling system, and his system was chosen from among eighteen competing new orthographies.

faarah22   

what are you babbling on about king.? puntland is in somalia, not independent country, somalia's script is latin and so it shall remain it's very common and advantageous alphabet to have. don't get carried away, this osmaniya belongs in museums and decorations or logos etc.

faarah22;791908 wrote:
what are you babbling on about king.? puntland is in somalia, not independent country, somalia's script is latin and so it shall remain it's very common and advantageous alphabet to have. don't get carried away, this osmaniya belongs in museums and decorations or logos etc.

don't get emotional buddy, the alphabet will come back to its rightful place in somalia.

burahadeer;791922 wrote:
osmania is amharic & latin put together,nothing new.

read the earlier posts. this will answer your concern. if you did, however, fadlan don't troll the thread.

burahadeer;791940 wrote:
why you think I'm trolling.Just look the alphabet, what it look like to you.Besides I have neva seen book written on it ..............

no it looks like georgian alphabet

729px-Anban-historical.png

Abwaan   

Somalina;782008 wrote:
Af Somaligii ayaa meel loo waayey.

lol..Sax...Af-Soomaaligii baa isagoo 18 sano jira dagaal dhacay oo hadda sii dhiman raba waaba Cusmaaniya dadkii qortay xitaa aysan isticmaalin.

Eng.Cadde;791950 wrote:
It looks like it was invented by a crackhead high on khamri.The Monkey`s brain can invent some amazing things then that script.

respect the rules of sol. name calling is against the rules on this forum.

Abwaan;791947 wrote:
lol..Sax...Af-Soomaaligii baa isagoo 18 sano jira dagaal dhacay oo hadda sii dhiman raba waaba Cusmaaniya dadkii qortay xitaa aysan isticmaalin.

:D is that your way of wanting to know my age? because, all you had to do was look at my profile page.

Abwaan   

kingofkings;791958 wrote:
:D
is that your way of wanting to know my age? because, all you had to do was look at my profile page.

loool....bal yaabkaan fiiriya, da'daadana maxaa lagu fali? Jaalle Af-Soomaaliga ayaa qornaa 18. I was NOT talking about your age...sheeko-xariirta iska daaa!

Abwaan;791981 wrote:
loool....bal yaabkaan fiiriya, da'daadana maxaa lagu fali? Jaalle Af-Soomaaliga ayaa qornaa 18. I was NOT talking about your age...sheeko-xariirta iska daaa!

that's your story and i see your sticking to it. okay.