Sign in to follow this  
harir 10

somali christian is it a fact or a fiction

harir 10   

I happened to stumble a cross a christian-somali web blog which surprised me. Im looking for a honest opinion about the issue and realy want to know what other nomads think about it.

Honesita   

Originally posted by illegal some-alien:

does it matter? its their loss.

Salaamu Aleeykum

(allow me to disagree) Yes, I think it does matter. Muhammad Alayhi Salaam is the example that we follow in Islam. There is a hadeeth that i heard before but i cant find it or its authenticity where the Prophet alayhi salaam says that our example is the example of a man who builds a huge fire and he wants to throw himself in it and the Prophet is holding him by the waiste so that he does not fall in it. It's a beautiful hadeeth masha Allah. Basically the message of Islam is True Salvation. My point is, "We are not doing our job in learning and teaching Islam, Dawah starts at home, those leaving Islam to Christianity seem to be the most ignorant about religion, it's purpose and mainly about Islam, and the fact that they are no longer worshipping Allah the proper way should be a wake up call to us, insha Allah."

My two cents...Wallahu Ta'ala A'lam.

Fii Amaani'Laah

One somali christian ...The Dutch are already bored with Ayaan Hirsi..is she finding a new frontier in the atlantic

Pity when people are moving to Islam, they go backwards..

Islam is a refined christianity...Christianity to the truest meaning..No wonder many christians understand ISLAM easily..

there are Christian Somalis, I met two of them, one from the Maryano Family and another from Djbouti - they are somalis with the same cultural attributes, but different beliefs. i wanted to do a story on that subject long ago, but i figure Somalis would get angry about the fact.

Complex   

Salaam

It's not a new thing...it's been going on for quite some time now. Recently I had a trip to Sudan and found out there's a huge Somali community there. I also got to know of a few Somali Catholics and an Orthodox. One of them was even the head priest at one of Khartoum's biggest churches.

I asked those that knew them prior to their conversion about what made them change religions and they told me that due to Khartoum being a transit stop for Somali qaxootis looking for a way to Europe through Libya...they look for any means to provide for themselves. The church saw these men striving to make ends meet and offered them loads of $$$ if they would change religions and they accepted. One of them was even given a whole church to lead. They're never seen and have security 24/7...

Originally posted by Honesita:

those leaving Islam to Christianity seem to be the most ignorant about religion, it's purpose and mainly about Islam,

Bull! Maybe they didn't find Islam to their personal taste. I'd argue former muslims are more erudite about Islam. Your bogus litmus test -- ignorance equals more proneness to leave Islam -- doesn't hold up. Most ubiquitous excuse used to explain away the unislamic behaviour of many devout muslims is ignorance about deen. What gives then huh?

Nur   

Socod Badne

You argue: I'd argue former muslims are more erudite about Islam

Your claim that Apostates are more learned in Islam than Muslims needs some qualification. Could you support your statment with reliable examples?

Honesita implies, when it comes to religious convertion, that Christian converts to Islam know more about Christianity than Muslims converting to Christianity know about Islam. Christian converts are driven by an avid search of spiritual fulfilment while many apostates are driven by a material fulfilment as you have eloquently described as ( not fitting their Personal Taste )

We Muslims fail to see Faith as a fashionable fad, as in the case of latter day Christendom, that is why Islam and Quraan endured centuries without a change compared to Christianity.

Christian Converts include former priests, and nuns, scientists, diplomats, high profile personalities, in contrast, Christianity failed to evengelize Somalis for over a century of Catholic missionary work except for few individuals seeking a worldly gain.

In Somalia, two segments were converted, at the earliest, students of the Mennonite Mission at Jawher and Mahaddai, who were promised scholarships to the USA and a better style life, and members of the farming communities in the Jubba valley.

Socod Badne, as a Jew ( by Birth), not faith, you can relate to your brothers who converted to Islam, they were highly learned people unlike poor people from Somalia who are being targeted by the resourceful aid agencies to convert them to Christianity, read the link:

http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Jewish-Converts-to-Islam/

http://www.islamicity.com/islamitv/default.asp?ref=5765

Nur

Originally posted by Nur:

Your claim that Apostates are more learned in Islam than Muslims needs some qualification. Could you support your statment with reliable examples?

Of course I can, I'm SB. Man of stats and facts. Ibn Waraq (spelling!). Regardless of your view of him, agree with him or not, you gotta admit the man knows his stuff.

Honesita implies, when it comes to religious convertion, that Christian converts to Islam know more about Christianity then Muslims converting to Christianity know about Islam.

I don't know but from my vantage point she seemed to imply ignorance with apostasy. Turning on the TV, one can easily discredit this assertion. How often do you watch news clips of benighted, dirt poor muslim protesters lacking most rudimentary knowledge of Islam professing zealous affection and commitment to Islam? Ignorance being cause for leaving Islam is tenious claim at best, spurious if we're frank.

Christian converts are driven by an avid search of spiritual fulfilment while many apostates are driven by a material fulfilment as you have eloquently described as (
not fitting their Personal Taste
)

I'm not sold on that to be honest. All I know is human decisions are complicated and never in black and white terms. Instead they occupy the entire breadth of the spectrum. It's rather simplistic and reductive to put it the way you did. And all generalisations (even THIS :D ) are generally wrong.

We Muslims fail to see Fauth as a fashionable fad, that is why Islam and Quraan endured centuries with a change compared to Christianity.

I have different take on that, a more down to earth one. But that is for another day.

Christian Converts include former priests, and nuns, scientists, diplomats, high profile personalities, in contrast, Christianity failed to evengelize Somalis for over a century of Catholic missionary work except for few individuals seeking a worldly gain.

This flies in face of the incontrovertible fact of human history: that where ever prevailing generals went followed their faiths. ;)

Socod Badne, as a Jew ( by Birth), not faith, you can relate to your brothers who converted to Islam, they were highly learned people unlike poor people from Somalia, read the link:

From outward appearance those guys don't look they know shid from shinola... no thanks I'll remain lizard worshipper.

Shalom!

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Nur:

Of course I can, I'm
SB
. Man of stats and facts. Ibn Waraq (spelling!). Regardless of your view of him, agree with him or not, you gotta admit the man knows his stuff.

Lies, damn lies and statistics(from the likes of Ibn Warraq no less)