Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Mosques of our time...

Chimera   

That's a Byzantium Church which the Ottomans turned into a Mosque and who eventually inspired Ottoman architecture

N.O.R.F   

Hagia Sophia (Greek: Ἁγία Σοφία; Holy Wisdom), now known as the Ayasofya Museum, was an early Christian Church[1] and later an Eastern Orthodox church which was transformed into a mosque in 1453 by the Turks,[2] and converted into a museum in 1935.

wiki

Northern,

You're right, it's a meseum now but back in it's heydays (during the Golden Age of the Ottaman Empire) it was one helluva mosque. I like the blended architucture, a fusion of Turko-muslim and Byzantine Chritianity.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

Northern,

You're right, it's a meseum now but back in it's heydays (during the Golden Age of the Ottaman Empire) it was one helluva mosque.
I like the blended architucture, a fusion of Turko-muslim and Byzantine Chritianity.

Actually it's not a blend but pure Byzantium architecture that pre-dates the fall of Constantinople to the House of Osmanli a good 8 or 9 centuries

Blessed   

Great topic, keep them coming. :cool:

Someones mosque gazing has definately rubbed off on me. I think we have more photos of mosques than family. :D

There's nothing like the aya Sofya, ah what i would give to have lived in Istanbul in the golden era of the Ottoman empire!

Dhulqarnayn,one could say what we see today is a blend of Byzantine and Ottoman architecture, since the ottomans did a lot of renovation and repair work, and also added the minarets.

But you are correct in saying that it is predominantly a Byzantine architectural masterpiece, which has inspired the Ottomans, amongst others.

You need but look at the Sultan Ahmed (Blue) Mosque for evidence of that.

This would be an appropriate time to mention our own Masjidka Isbaheysiga in Xamar, overlooking the Indian Ocean. Anybody have some information on who designed and built it?

I know it was funded by the Saudis..