Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

Mohamud Noor, running for Minnesota State Senate supports Same Sex Marriage.

LINK

In his bid to become the first Somali-American state legislator in Minnesota and possibly the country, Mohamud Noor is explaining to some voters why his Islamic faith is not in conflict with his support for LGBT rights.

Noor is one of five DFL candidates who will face off in a primary election next Tuesday, Dec. 6, to replace former Sen. Larry Pogemiller. Last week, Noor was endorsed by Stonewall DFL, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender caucus of the party. On his website, he argues "marriage is a basic right."

Noor, a former state worker, is courting voters in Minneapolis neighborhoods with heavy East African concentrations, including the Cedar-Riverside area. Many Somalis, but not all, are socially conservative on the marriage question due to religious beliefs.

Some Somali-Americans have questioned him directly, or indirectly, including in at least one spirited debate on Facebook, about his position against the constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

Discuss.

burahadeer;762358 wrote:
He should run as republican to avoid the embarrassment,cos he surely fail as a democrat & not embrace the gays.

Minnesota is a Dem state, and republicans would never nominate him for their party.

Somalia;762361 wrote:
I think he is indifferent to it, rather than supporting it, meaning he wouldn't stand in its way.

That's what i thought too, he's only saying it because they have a big clout in his district (St.Paul/Minneapolis) and is only doing it so he can get their vote. I dunno if Somalis would agree with him though.

I know he's only saying cos of their clout but thinking about the after effects for somali youth...I mean when their own in the highest office takes that stand! "waan baahanay bakhtiga looma cuno." what u think?

burahadeer;762364 wrote:
I know he's only saying cos of their clout but thinking about the after effects for somali youth...I mean when their own in the highest office takes that stand! "waan baahanay bakhtiga looma cuno." what u think?

Runtaa, laakinse maxaad ka filan dadkan siyaasida boliticalka ku jira? :)

value voters are the most ****** kind of voters, they put issues that will have no effect on them over issues that. that is how how conservatives get minority votes despite not even caring about issues that matter to them.

Ah politicians always trying to gain points by pretending they '' support or are against '' a cause just to win a higher position.

They don't care! :confused:

Sensei   

Yac'ni why is this an issue ? Those that question him would probably/happily vote for other dems that support same sex marriage.

Sensei   

Why is that funny Che ? The man, regardless of his beliefs, faraska wuu kaasoo dagay oo Soomaalinimo buu ogalyahay.