Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Holding Hands

Nur   

What is the purpose of holding hands in public?

Affection! according to the western social culture "Not in sync with Eastern Asian cultures". At times in public places, western couples like sister Chocolate and Honey put it is really akhas!, specially when a couple go for a heavy duty expression of their affection next to you. But, this should never bother you if you are not nosy.

Nur

Curly   

What a strange thread. Holding hands is very useful on the morning commute, saves me getting lost in the crowd lol....it serves a purpose to me.

Maybe I should make myself one of these...

smitten-mitten.jpg

Nur   

Curly Sis you wonder:

What a strange thread. Holding hands is very useful on the morning commute

Sis, holding hands in London is very normal, but not in Somalia, Somaliland, Jubbaland, Shabelleland, Howdland, or Puntland.

Some rural parts of Somalia, women are still very shy ( wey Xishood badan yihiin) to the point that they refer to their husband as " Duqa" or " Carruurta aabbahood", Nomad culture frowns at a Somali women showing any affection for her husband in public. We are at cross roads here sis; Expatriate Nomads are increasingly adopting western norms and lifestyles to varying degrees, while some Nomads back home are still holding to the old traditions of shyness and suppressing of affection signs in public.

Nur

Originally posted by Nur:

What is the purpose of holding hands in public?

Affection! according to the western social culture
"Not in sync with Eastern Asian cultures"
. At times in public places, western couples like sister Chocolate and Honey put it is really akhas!, specially when a couple go for a heavy duty expression of their affection next to you. But, this should never bother you if you are not nosy.

Nur

Yes, but why publicly? Why cuddle in public? The desire to hold hands or waist, or kiss in the full view of others, reduces the true affection one has, to the same level as lust.

Nur   

2+2=5 Writes:

The desire to hold hands or waist, or kiss in the full view of others, reduces the true affection one has, to the same level as lust.

May be true for someone raised in an Islamic environment or as a conservative Christian, but not necessarily true for a person who does not have such values. The western culture is very permissive and accommodating for such behavior, I have been on a public transport in which a couple next to me forced me to leave as I could not take distraction due to intensity of their interaction.

Nur

Cara.   

So far, holding hands has been suggested to mean

1) the man is preventing his irresponsible wife from spending unwisely,

2) that it's a Western sign of affection that Easterners are unfamiliar with,

3) and that it's a public display of lust that cheapens the relationship. There's no other reason to hold hands.

Hehe