Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

All American Muslim - A Reality Show

Is the U.S. ready for Muslims on reality TV?

The Stream, Aljazeera

On November 13, the U.S. network TLC is scheduled to premiere the first reality television show exclusively featuring a Muslim-American community. The eight-part series, “All-American Muslim,” was filmed in Dearborn, Michigan, home to the largest population of Arab-Americans in the U.S. While about a third of Dearborn residents are of Arab descent, Arab-Americans are less than one per cent of the total U.S. population.

The programme follows five different Arab-American Muslim families and will portray the community “struggling to balance faith and nationality in a post 9/11 world” while challenging stereotypes about Muslims in the U.S.

Among the cast members are the head coach of the local football team, a businesswoman, deputy chief sheriff, and a Muslim woman planning her wedding to an Irish-American convert.

The show describes Dearborn as “another world,” and one media observer points out that Arab Muslims from Dearborn aren’t necessarily representative of the broader U.S. Muslim population. But others say “All-American Muslim” offers a different angle on the community.

“People fear what they don’t know,” says one cast member, saying he hopes the show will shed light on how Muslims are dealing with Islamophobia in the post-9/11 decade.

Source: Keep reading...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds interesting. What do you guys think?

It's time for a revolution when it comes to muslims on reality tv. To me it sounds a good idea many Americans have no clue about muslims except for what they see and hear on the media which is often negative. So this programme would shed light on the muslim community from a different perspective and change the minds of the ignorant Americans who think every muslim is a terrorist.

^ I suppose it might be a start. The American masses have been brainwashed for 10 years, it will be difficult to shift their views.

Hmmm.....having seen the trailer, it looks very dramatised.

True it's very difficult if you have been brainwashed for such a long time but there is still hope for the Americans to wake up and smell the reality. The trailer looks like it's gonna be a popular programme I would definitely watch it, it looks interesting.

A_Khadar   

Looking nice.. Thanks for sharing it.. I was once that city back in 2006 for a wedding and it's the only city where a Mosque has speakers out side and you can hear prayer calls..

A_Khadar   

Yeah you can but not the entire city. It's one major mosque which has the permit. All the neighbors around that mosque are Muslims.. So the mosque requested a permit for it and it got it after the neighbors allowed. Yeah it’s really neat..

Did I just saw a fat guy, with arabic/quranic tattoo on his right arm?

Did I just saw females, dressed like Non-Muslim, claiming to be "Muslim"?

Is this some sort of a way to portray the "wrong-Islam" to the general public?

I saw something about it a while back. I think they are featuring a police officer and his family?- Anyway, Katie Couric once said that a "muslim Cosby show" is needed to curb some of these highly toxic anti islamic rhetoric spewing out there.

Still, I will watch it.

omar12   

that true, we do need a muslim cosby show, only thing people know about muslims is Iraq, and afganistan, and terrorism. it needs to change.

Jacpher   

I never understood how people take these comedian interviews seriously. I am sure there is some type of editing but they must know the joke is on them and just playing along with it.