Sign in to follow this  
Knight of Wisdom

Sheikh Khalid Yassin Accused of Fraud?

Got this from another Forum. Is there any truth to this?

""Sheikh" Khalid Yasin has been operating a fundraising scam internationally for at least ten years.

His method is to a deliver an on-stage presentation for a particular project, demand donations at the events he lectures at, then after a few months and 30 or 40 envelope passing sessions he will drop the idea after collecting tens to hundreds of thousands of pounds/dollars. He prefers multimedia endeavours because people know they require expensive equipment. He is never frequently booked in a single city so he is able to go straight to a new state, country or continent and claim he requires funds for a whole new initiative.

To do this he needs a moderately large array of company names to operate under. His main organisations listed in his official resumes and websites are:

Islamic Information Network Ltd

Islamic Teaching Institute

Islamic Television Trust

Channel Islam

IBC

Purpose Television

Purpose of Life Center/Centre

Purpose of Life Foundation

Purpose of Life Trust*

Purpose Media Group

Islam Today

Challenge Your Soul

None of these are registered companies or charities in the UK or US as Khalid's biogs state. They are fake. You can check these facts yourself using the government websites:

, wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk,

Being unregistered means you are unregulated and need not report what you do with your money. Working this way is actually illegal in many ways.

Khalid will make enough miniscule moves to convince gullible Muslims that his causes are legitimate. You will see that there is a Purpose TV website that has been running looped promo videos constantly for four years. He sometimes hires offices for very short leases in impressive areas to show people around. He will pay for a new brochure to be designed and printed every now and then to encourage donors. He has claimed many, many "launch date"s during events for Purpose TV all over the world to get people excited about getting their money in. He frequently convinces talented Muslim designers and programmers to offer their services to him for free so that it at least looks like he has some type of team in place.

It's old news that Australian TV broadcast an expose of him in 2005, but the information contained therein is informative and fits in perfectly with the pattern of his crimes. They discovered that he lied about his qualifications, his brochures are fictitious, he has debts and that the buildings he claims to be developing have nothing to do with him.

The way he gets away with it is this; individual donors donate no more than £100 or $100 a time (after Khalid has very aggressively demanded donations), which they will not chase up if they do not see him in their city for three years or so. No TV station or studio or whatever materializes. And this cycle is able to be repeated over and over and over again because simple Muslims believe that the "backbiting rule" protects all crimes in all situations.

One will notice that Yasin does not look for large individual donations from people of standing in the Middle East to set up something in the way of Peace TV or Huda TV. Such a scheme would expose his scam because he would have to be held to account for his business dealings. It is documented that Yasin received Arab funding during the 1980's, but spent the money on a new house in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

He particularly likes to agree an appearance fee with an organiser and then during the weeks leading up to the event to start demanding more money. A well-known South London Imam related an incident to me where Khalid demanded £1000 extra just one hour before his scheduled lecture at Goodge Street Mosque. Berkshire Islamic Information Group are hosting him this coming Sunday and Yasin has already asked for more money at least once from them. He demanded an £1500 before an event I booked him for and those in the dawah event loop will be very, very aware of this procedure from Khalid.

Most of Khalid's DVD's were recorded, mastered and originally distributed by One Islam in Australia. Here's what they have to say about him:

“Khalid Yasin on stage and off stage seem to be two different people. One of the guys here goes as far as naming the one on stage Shaik Khalid and the other one Khalid. Since we dealt with him for a couple of years, we probably have the most information and most recent long term experience. Note, that we are not the only ones that think this way –

-The Australia Islamic College here hired him and they fell out over money/trust. Reportedly, his visa was revoked after AIC complained about him (they were the VISA sponsor.)

-Sh. Yusuf Estes told us of his history in America of cheating people

-Folks in Trinadad have also complained loudly about his tour there – they told us that that had him literally kicked out of the country with police/government help.

-People that have known Khalid for a long time say he has always had a money problem.

We would like to give Khalid the benefit of the doubt by believing he has a psychological problem and needs help – it is too surreal to see such a gifted speaker pull people into Islam and then watch the transformation when money gets involved.

One Islam held some of the biggest and most well attended events and made Khalid Yasin a well known name here. One Islam could fill a room full of 1500 people and send another 300 home. One Islam paid for everything – travel, hotel, venues, publicity, etc. Plus we invested more than $250,000 producing the first 21 lectures with the intention of using the sales money to produce films. The initial arrangement was for Sh. Khalid to be allowed to collect for a tv station and for us to do the rest. The money collected for this was always to launch a station within a year and to give us money to build a film studio. One Islam was so impressed with his lectures and results, they tended to overlook some of the signs. And once One Islam started questioning things, matters got ugly…

1. The name that he collected under seemed to change each tour

ITI

Challenge Your Soul

IBC

Islamic TV Trust

2. The amount of money he collected was approximately $200,000 of public collections, not including private collections over the 2-3 year period. Each year, more would be collected with the same promise to have a station running “this year”. The community here never got a status report on where the money went.

3. We found that he always wanted more and more money, a bigger slice of the pie. He wanted ticket sales, even DVD sales and eventually even wanted the “masters” of all of our DVD recordings. We eventually parted ways since we could not afford to do things for free and needed to recoup the money we invested.

4. One Islam gave a lot of DVD stock to Khalid and invoiced him with the understanding he would pay later. The amount owing continued to go up and up. The value of the DVDs he took at wholesale was eventually more than $100,000…

5. Because our vision is to become a film company and he wanted desperately to have the masters and production rights to his legacy, we offered to sell him the production rights to his lectures and in the end “gave him the right to sell” for 2 years. The stipulation was for him not to sell to our customers. Since then, he has sold to our customers, changed the names/covers of our product and gone beyond the 2 year agreement – e.g. he continues to sell.

More...

The above is not in chronological order, but a summary of the signs pointing to his money problem. We believe brother Khalid has a problem and needs to be brought to account before he damages more lives/people. People need to know that Khalid Yasin is at best a big dreamer who does not handle money well. It is best not to deal with him, but if they enter a relationship, it is better to stick to the dawah only and pay all his expenses. If any business arrangements are made, they should get the contract reviewed and witnessed, publicly, if possible. If Khalid Yasin wants to collect for a television station or cause, get a process in place to document what was collected and ensure a third party can report on how it was spent.” (Dexter Abu Ibrahim, One Islam Productions) [the brother also provided me with the contact details for all of the third parties mentioned]

In February 2008, Khalid Yasin made the statement in the London Muslim Centre, Whitechapel, London in front of an audience of just under 800: "Zakir Naik and Mohammed Ali of Islam Channel and I had a gentleman's agreement to set up a TV station together, they broke the agreement."

Mohammed Ali had this to say of him in 2010: "I have never ever met the man... He called me once to apologise for saying something bad about me after I called the lawyers in."

DO NOT DONATE YOUR MONEY TO ANY OF KHALID YASIN'S CAUSES UNTIL HE CAN ACCOUNT FOR WHERE THE MILLIONS OF POUNDS AND DOLLARS OF FUNDS FOR THESE TV STATIONS, DAWAH CENTRES AND STUDIOS HAVE GONE TO.

If Khalid urges you to give him money to support the website AlWahy then please contact the CEO of that company immediately (CEO@AlWahy.com) as it has been discovered in the last month that the lecturer has been embezzling funds from AlWahy for at least three years now. The CEO saw Khalid as a father figure before these revelations came to light.

Yesterday Copland School in Wembley withdrew permission at the very last minute for The Salaam Project to host Khalid Yasin there. The organisers are claiming that it is solely due to his "extremist" views and a local campaign against his attendance, but I have been in contact with the school and the campaigners and I can confirm that part of the reason they asked for his removal was due to the widespread knowledge of his fraudulent schemes. The non-Muslim public and police are protecting us. Shame on us.

* Purpose of Life Trust is now dissolved, but was registered for just over a year from a Manchester (UK) address very close to the location that he set up his makeshift masjid and madrassa from 2007-2009. This centre became the focus of the blog Salafi Burnout when Khalid was arrested for stealing money from the parents of the madrassa students. The brief registration likely had something to do with this particular scam. No accounts were ever filed."

Nothing more than a plot by the Kufaars to discredit a great speaker.

The article states" The non-Muslim public and police are protecting us. Shame on us"

These Kufaars don't want to protect us, what a load of crap this writer needs to refer to the Quraan, Allah SWT mentions numerous times they have nothing but a deep hatred for us. The only time we will ever be accepted by them is when we denounce our diin and even then they will not be satisfied with us.

Unfortunately we are living in dark times, and the muslimah ummah has never been divided at this scale in history.

Creating division is the way to destroy an enitre nation.

STOIC   

^ I doubt it is plot by the Kufars...I have once read an article where Khalid Yasin was invited by a group of Somali brothers in Virginia area to help them do a fundraising.After the fundraising was done he cornered the brothers to give him a 50 percent cut of the collection.Now tell me how in the world will a Muslim preacher demand that kind of amount.Yes it is obligation to pay for his travel expenses, but NOT half of the collections.I have prayed among many of the Salafi preachers that go around the states to held classes.Many of there organizations are politics.There Imam change roles like no other...I think our religion gives the benefit of the doubt to anyone with a big beard and two or three Arabic words....

Yunis   

^Sxb you are doing same character assassination as the article posted here. I too attended Some of his coveted lectures, and was part of group of youth who organized it. other than pre-agreed per deem travel expenses and fees there was nothing 'scam' about what he did in those events I have attended. This is shaikh who help revert countless intellectuals back to Islam, and because of it faced many challenges.

So I agree with GaroweG - this is simply the work of people who are bent on destroying this man's image. read the article again, Its one guy who has an issue with the sheikh - there is no substantial proof of any kind, I don't understand why Night of Wisdom feels this useless accusation warrants a discussion. So he makes $$ out of giving lectures, CD's and DVD audio presentation, countless scholar do the same. he is one of the most effective Islamic presenters in the western world today. If you don't like the message, its always to shoot the messenger.

STOIC   

^if it looks like something is wrong, something probably is wrong.This not the only article i have seen where someone complained about Khaleed Yasin business demeanor..Like I said there was another article where I read that he swindle the fundraisers out of the collections they made.Now I was not there neither do i know anyone who was there..I just read a similar article where he was accused of asking more than what was bargained.I have no intention to badmouth the sheikh nor do i believe he is a saint...

Yunis   

STOIC;754843 wrote:
...Like I said there was another article where I read that he swindle the fundraisers out of the collections they made.Now I was not there neither do i know anyone who was there..I just read a similar article where he was accused of asking more than what was bargained....

Common dude, proof keen. Article baan waxaas ka akhriyay iska dhaaf sxb...:(

STOIC   

^ Ma cirkaa ayaan kaakenaay markaa...I just can't get hold of the article that mentioned the incident.I'm sure i read it few years back where his business deals was questioned.Now i think i have clearly said I was not there neither do i know anyone who was attendance on the fundraising.You can go ahead and not question his business dealings and take this guy as a charming youtube guru....

STOIC   

Actually alittle Googling helped....here it is what i was talking about..."

He took the stage sporting his thousand dollar suit, but not before sufficiently “working the crowd” by kissing babies and laying on the charm. From those who related this story to me, Khalid had a good night. The money really started pouring in after he related the tale of the “Jew man”, the one that sat right next to him on the plane over to the event. That “Jew man” told Khalid that he himself, one man, had raised hundreds of millions of dollars for the State of Israel so that they could continue killing Muslims. This blatant antisemitism, Yasin’s stock and trade, got the crowd really excited and of course they gave even more. The speaker got angry and stridently declared he wasn’t leaving the stage, and no one was going home, until they raised two hundred thousand dollars FOR THAT SCHOOL. The strong arm tactics worked and the event raised roughly that precise amount, half in cash and the rest pledges. The Somali community was over joyed and viewed the program as a huge success….that is until they had to settle up with Khalid.

He and the brother who lead the community met behind closed doors in order to determine what Khalid Yasin’s cut of the proceeds should be, the initial agreement of 10% having been abrogated by his having performed the functions of both speakers. So when the soft spoken, naive Somali brother asked Khalid what he thought was a fair remuneration, just like the Grinch that stole Christmas the cold-hearted criminal looked the brother in the face and said, “I normally get half”

http://singularvoice.wordpress.com/2008/06/30/the-khalid-yasin-scandal-the-fall-of-the-criminal-imams/

Samafal   

^ Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you are falling to a trap unknowingly. Carefully checking the link you quoted could have given you a clue of who's trying to set up the good Sheikh. Its no other than Pro-israel lobbyist, Islamaphic who see a danger in Islam spreading in Europe and Western world.

As a moslem when some one badmouths another moslem we ought to stick of what we know best of that person, and ignore the rest until it becomes beyond doubt that person is guilty of the crimes alleged. Its not secret anti islam far right groups do not like Sheikh Yassin becouse of his hardwork and his persuasive nature,and will stop for nothing to taint his image. They tried many times before in the UK to a similar Sheikhs such as Sheikh Balhawi and they even went as far as making false documents that has been exposed by Channel 4 news.

Ibtisam   

What are you ranting on about? this has nothing to do with the Kufar you should probably read a bit about the situation, legal cases facing him and the dawac community and mosques he is banned from. Indeed we are living in dark times when despite the evidence people continue to worship personals/ individuals because they are good energetic speaker. People including wadaads can have weakness- Khalid clearly has it- make dua for him and people should be warned against him and his schemes.

Muslims are not nations either and they are too fragmented to be destroyed.

May allah guide him.

Yunis   

^^STOIC google research.

Waryaa wax cadayn ah keen plz. Its amazing how everyone rushes to criticism when there is no prove of facts.

as proof you got a link from Abdur Rahman Muhammad's singularvoice blog

Mr Rahman is the darling of the FOX news of the world. a man with Zero credibility and no influence. he is consider a joke within the Black Muslim community.

For years he has proclaimed if immigrant muslims can't assimilate, they should be sent back to where they came from.

He has made a name for himself in the blogosphere of attacking 'African American imams' such as Siraj wahaj, Ad dhahabi, Imam Talib and others. he routinely attacks Muslim organization like CAIR, ISNA for defending Muslims and calls them terrorist sympathizers with no evidence. he once even called one of those imams for believing Arabs are the master race.

Here enjoy Mr Rahman giving his blessing to Rep. Peter King's Hearing. a Hearing in which even the media declared as 'mindless hysteria' against Muslims:

http://www.newsmax.com/Emerson/peter-king-hearing/2011/03/14/id/389379

Or here where he basically says Muslims shouldn't build mosques cuz they are prone to violence and terrorists:

http://pjmedia.com/blog/from-an-actual-moderate-muslim-a-memo-to-the-msm-on-imam-rauf/?singlepage=true

sxb naga daa Dr Google cut & paste distortion..:cool: and get me a proof

STOIC   

I actually was avoiding the cut&Paste(Not my cup of tea) till you ask for it when I told you I read it somewhere else..Now that I have given you a link of what other people were saying about him you are still NOT satisfied as if I told you I personally (unlike you) did work with the man in question.Perhaps there is less need to argue with you here since you are hell bent on conspiracy theory of the Jews and the Kufars...There seems no contradictions that the man is being suspected of running a shoddy business (even when you read the comments by others on that site)and you still expect me to find him guilty..by the way the original article was on Salafi-burnout which is no longer in service..I believe Singularvoice is just doing cut and paste....I will let you have it and follow the Imam blindly!

*Ibtisam;754857 wrote:

Muslims are not nations either and they are too fragmented to be destroyed.

May allah guide him.

It seems you arguing for the sake of it. You have not spoken to the man, you are not acquainted with the man and you are so quick to pass judgment because of some innuendo. Nevertheless, as Muslims we are instructed not to think the worst of a Muslim unless we have spoken to them directly and found out the situation at first hand. Dearest these are basic Islamic principles.

Oh, It also seems you lack basic Islamic knowledge. Where have you been taught that Muslims are Not nations??

For you information 'the Muslim Ummah' simply means the Muslim nation, we are a nation.

This is the problem nowadays with some of us, we attend a few halaqs and wear a niqab and all of sudden we can speak for Islam and bad mouth those that have more Knowledge than us. What a shame!