Sign in to follow this  
Sultan Dheere

Questioning my fatith

ailamos   

Sultan Dheere;749537 wrote:
I'll give you an example., Things like stoning, lashings, chopping of hands, public executions etc. make me uncomfortable. I sort of try to rationalise it in my mind that this is not something I can agree with. But I feel I am going against the will of God. I dont know. I believe everyone deserves "due process of law" and without public humiliation. Maybe this is the result of 20 odd years of utter liberal propaganda that have been hammered into me since childhood.

Other things I have questioned in Islam is things like inheritance jurisprudence and the distribution of wealth, how assets should be divided up between sons & daughters. I find myself disagreeing with it.
:/

I can name other things.

Many Muslims (including myself) also strongly disagree with the above things that you have mentioned, so what is one to do? Call it quits? I don't think so. Change must come within the community. If everyone who thinks like you just packs up their spiritual bags and leaves the religion because they don't agree with the way some of their co-religionists apply certain laws, then tell me who will be left? Think about that for a second.

Things like stoning, lashings, chopping of hands, public executions etc. make me uncomfortable. I sort of try to rationalise it in my mind that this is not something I can agree with. But I feel I am going against the will of God. I dont know. I believe everyone deserves "due process of law" and without public humiliation. Maybe this is the result of 20 odd years of utter liberal propaganda that have been hammered into me since childhood.

Other things I have questioned in Islam is things like inheritance jurisprudence and the distribution of wealth, how assets should be divided up between sons & daughters. I find myself disagreeing with it.

If I were you, I would not get bogged down on the finer details of hududs or other secondary Fiqh issues before thoroughly adressing the 6pillars of faith and your position vis-a-vis them (ie Iman in Allah, his prophets, books or revelations, angels, the Qadr or predestination and the day of judgement).

For instance the inheritance issue (daughters getting half of the sons's share) is not independent of the fact that males are mandated to provide for their families regardless of the wife's income (no obligation even if she's wealthy) etc.

Apart from proceeding coherently and letting emotions and other influences aside (easier said than done I reckon), my other point is that, just as you would not wait for further diagnostics and tests before adopting precautions, this inquisitive period should not be an excuse to neglect or give up your prayers not only because time is not on our side but also because performing your spiritual duties lead you better than anything to clearer thinking as well as reduced stress (exactely what we all need the most, particularly in this age, and precisely what will assist you most in your quest for the truth)...

I'll give you an example., Things like stoning, lashings, chopping of hands, public executions etc. make me uncomfortable. I sort of try to rationalise it in my mind that this is not something I can agree with. But I feel I am going against the will of God. I dont know. I believe everyone deserves "due process of law" and without public humiliation. Maybe this is the result of 20 odd years of utter liberal propaganda that have been hammered into me since childhood.

Other things I have questioned in Islam is things like inheritance jurisprudence and the distribution of wealth, how assets should be divided up between sons & daughters. I find myself disagreeing with it. :/

I can name other things.

The same with you on all those things.Just be selective; take the good & leave the unacceptable behind; majority of muslims or otha religions behave in such a way.Who we kidding......just go along with ur life & be good human being.Nothing wrong with you.

I can not stand the Somali bashing going on in this thread - by other Somalis no less.

"Losing My Religion"

Oh life, it's bigger

It's bigger than you

And you are not me

The lengths that I will go to

The distance in your eyes

Oh no, I've said too much

I set it up

That's me in the corner

That's me in the spotlight

Losing my religion

Trying to keep a view

And I don't know if I can do it

Oh no, I've said too much

I haven't said enough

BTW - What are we talking about here?; Doubts, Losing faith, unreasonable or illogical articles of religion, blind faith? or what?

Garnaqsi   

Abu-Salman;749686 wrote:
If I were you, I would not get bogged down on the finer details of hududs or other secondary Fiqh issues before thoroughly adressing the 6pillars of faith and your position vis-a-vis them (ie Iman in Allah, his prophets, books or revelations, angels, the Qadr or predestination and the day of judgement).

The validity/truth-value of these pillars is not independent from these secondary teachings, so I would say getting bogged down on their finer details is not an unreasonable endeavour.

Apart from proceeding coherently and letting emotions and other influences aside (easier said than done I reckon), my other point is that, just as you would not wait for further diagnostics and tests before adopting precautions, this inquisitive period should not be an excuse to neglect or give up your prayers not only because time is not on our side but also because performing your spiritual duties lead you better than anything to clearer thinking as well as reduced stress (exactely what we all need the most, particularly in this age, and precisely what will assist you most in your quest for the truth)...

I'm not sure as to how praying leads to clearer thinking; if anything, in this case, it would probably mess-up the objectivity of the OP's judgement. Similarly, your suggestion that it will reduce stress cries pseudoscience.

N.O.R.F   

ailamos;749676 wrote:
Norf, there you go again throwing around baseless factoids. A criminal who is
intent
on committing a crime will do so because the hope that s/he will get away with it will always overcome the fear of of getting caught. And when you say "Western countries", which ones do you mean? Please be specific because there are many "Western countries" out there and not all are the same. The prevalence of crime in NYC is not the same as in Calgary, Santiago or Budapest. Similarly when you say "Muslim countries", could you be more specific because I am sure that the prevalence of crime in Karachi is not the same as in Doha.

But surely the number of criminals intent on committing crime will depend on the punishment meted out if caught. The more lenient the punishment the higher the instances of crime. The harsher the punishment the lower the instances of crimes. Fear of getting caught and being subjected to harsh punishment out weighs the hope of getting away with it (which is very difficult in this day and age).

I don’t think it really matters which western countries I’m referring to as the above will always be true.

Ps Pakistan = Mexico.

it is very important to appreciate, the difference between rationality and justice.

the stoning to death, of a married man/women,when they commit zinaa, can be better comprehended when you measure it against the evil of adultery.

how do you take adultery? or what does it mean to you?

do the other laws have inheritance jurisprudence?

the difference in the people being addressed, is a better factor to consider, when you really want to understand the islamic law on inheritance.

just to highlight this: who is closest to you in kin, between your sisters and brothers? or even you father and mom? what about your aunt and uncle? everyone will definitely favour one over the other, but for justice to prevail and not equality, ALLAH has set the limits.

note: if you are indirectly saying, men=to women and hence equal inheritance, we will tackle it differently.

Raamsade   

Sultan Dheere, wlc to the forum. Don't let people discourage you from having doubts. Doubting is good. In fact, doubting is liberating. When you have doubts you're not longer hemmed in by dogma or social pressures. With doubts you can expand your wings and explore the stupendously endless posibilities the world offers.

Doubt is the product of overactive brain. The average person is too stupefied to have doubts so you're exceptional in that regard. You'll eventually make the right choices.

A lot of young Muslims that grew up abroad have had similar experiences. This is by product of learning and being cultivated by western institutions. Having doubts is normal and no one should be made to feel that there is something wrong with them by having these doubts. All these questions that people with doubts have could adequately be addressed provided they go through the proper channels of learning from qualified Islamic teachers.