Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Emotions Behind Secession Suggestions

As both someoone with North-Western roots and a neutral observer, I think few facts should be focused on so futiles disputes are put to rest.

First of all, anyone outside the circle of Somali clan pride and vindictness know that our tragedy originated from the colonial partition and subsequent neocolonialism.

An elite largely groomed by the Italians but also the British were unable to stem corruption so that the military regime was welcomed by everyone, including the Northerners.

However, the 1977 terrible defeat coupled with the coup attempt resulted in growing regime paranoia and discrimination, leading to popular disenchantment against a regime which included all clans initially.

Siyad's regime paranoia was due to the fact that putshites were organised along clan lines, hence atrocities and marginalisation were first directed against Puntland's major group.

Following the SNM creation and its growing strenght, aided by Addis, the regime extremists turned against the Northern group.

It's crucial to note that many regimes would raze cities to the ground if unable to dislodge a rebellion armed by the national arch-enemy, as military and other extremists circles prevail in such conditions, with the dictatorship left with fanning clan animosities as sole option.

Now, the masses are not neutral students of history but Somalis with lingering inter-clan issues, haunted by painful memories.

It is therefore advisable to focus first on building trust and institutions in the South while dealing cordially with Northerners.

If and when something viable emerges, the case for unity can only grow stronger, making its advocates from both camps more credible.

Above all, let's avoid generalisations and disputes that only profit extremists in each group.

Of course, the secession agenda can not forcefully include groups unwilling to secede, basing its claim on pre-unification British colonial frontiers, which is both morally and tactically indefensible.

Even such issues can however be ironed out on the long term; after all, even if magically recognised overnight by the world, the Somaliland admin would still be requested as well as forced to respect the wishes of all its communities, with discontent regions still able to take exception to the secession project.

In addition to that perspective, there is a psychological side to the issue, as many North-Westerners wish to emulate their Djibouti brethrens, "get a State of their own", have a homeland to surmount diaspora blues, generally boost their morale or dissociate themselve from the Somalia brand;

that is why one can find Djiboutian or foreign born North-Westerners advocating for secession on such practical grounds, longing for a place where theirs would be the dominant group and their ambitions unbridled (even when their business interests and friendships largely lies outside that group).

Abtigiis   

Abu-Salman;746146 wrote:
It is therefore advisable to focus first on building trust and institutions in the South while dealing cordially with Northerners.

If and when something viable emerges, the case for unity can only grow stronger, making its advocates from both camps more credible.

Above all, let's avoid generalisations and disputes that only profit extremists in each group.

It is hard to disagree with this sound advice. However, it is good to know that if he prevailing separatists narrative is not confronted, it has the potential to be the only talk in town, thereby confusing those who are not well versed with Somalia's rise and fall.

good analysis but those who think force & name calling can do better job in bringing SL back to the family need to shut up.They have to realize absolutely no one can stand in their way if they ultimately wish to secede...accept you treading on egg shell & need to learn how to deal with or it be too late if you keep barking from the side line.

Abtigiis   

Moral appeals and laments hardly solved any problem I know of. Ultimately, Abu-Salman's line of rapprochment and compromise is what will solve the problem. But I object to the idea of appeasing a certian circle of Somalilanders who are fanatical in their pursuit of secession. What these people need is to be challenged for they are holding the majority hostage by presenting the matter as a choice between secession and slavery. The extremists must be named and shamed, their ideas must be rediculed and defeated. The sooner people wake up to this fact the better. That has to be done with a parallel strategy of appealing to the general populace, a task that has to be done by every individual even at personal level.

Stating certain facts about the motivation and misinformations of secessionists is not creating wedge between Somalilanders and the rest. Only a petulant secessionist will find healthy debate about the events that led to this quaqmire as shouting from the slidelines. If one is allowed to decry what other have done to him with endless war criminal chants, why is it wrong for others to air their disputations? Let us not spoil an already spoiled SNM goons with some maudlin sentimentality about bridging rifts!

you are suspect, driven by outdated clannism & emotion....besides you'r ethiopian & out smarting everyone else on every thread, just like Nigerians is their trait.

Good luck to your amazing healthy debate & keep carrying your cane!

One question? Why only one qabiil is fighting againest ethiopians!!!!??? what happened to otha somalis in kilinka 5..Why they didn't go along with you?FISHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are not sincere about greater somalia; only looking after selfish interests which is to start fight between one somalia & Ethiopia so you can grab your piece of land & try to dominate others....Is not going to happen!!!!!

and with your attitude not gonna have much of a say where somalia will end up....keep blowing hot air!

Abtigiis   

Firstly, I am sorry if you feel outsmarted. Let us not be personal.

Secondly, the rest of your points are your opinions about my motivations and certain issues you think are happening in Somaligalbeed. You see, the same way you resist to be called a Somalian, I don't want to be called Ethiopian. What you said might be true or false, but there is no point in getting upset about my political philosophy about Somalia. I could in fact have an opinion on Peru. You can dispute it, or disregard it, but you shouldn't talk unrelated nonesense just because you are angry. An anger of a secessionist makes me happy, as you would probably know. Plus, your anger really amounts to the fart a dog breaks out to put out a furnace. It is powerless, it is meanigless. So calm down, and debate the issues if you can. If you can't, then you can't.

Abtigis are you not a secessionist your self are you not trying to secede from your mother Country? Well you do not want to be ruled from Adis ababa and he does not want to be ruled from Mogadisho its that Simple

One thing i know is that Somaliland gained more and developed its country and cities in the past 20 years since re independence. And that's something really to be proud of we will continue doing that with the will of Allah

Unity between Somaliland and Somalia did not only destroy Somaliland but look what is happening today in Somalia just imagine if Somaliland and Somalia din't unite in 1960 how the horn of Africa would have been, I don't think though it would have made any difference for Abtigis and the Folks in Kilinka.

A_Khadar   

Now ethiopia enslavement to somaligalbeed is same as your clan's adventure to succession.. Maxaa marba ceeb looga dhacayaa project-gan..

Abtigiis   

xaaji, now you are debating issues. It is every way correct to ask why I would support secession from Ethiopia and reject secession from Somalia. The answer is because I want to see all Somalis united. Is it realistic? Is it wise? Is it legal? That is another issues to debate but if my starting point is to see a strong and vast Somaliweyn in the Horn of Africa, you can see I am not committing double standard. Am I fair? Maybe not!

Despite Burhader's pointless rants, I have always said I accept the will of any people and as such do not disagree if the Somalilanders (that is the clan that wants secession) goes it way. It is a loss, but I don't support forceful union. However, I object when they try to deny the same rights themselves want to others. Burhadeer doesn't get that. On the issue of why other clans are not participating in the fight in Somaligalbeed, you and me know the answer, but of course one can ask as a jikaar. It is because of the clan polarization in Somalia which impacts the region, and the fact that most of the Somali clans on the border areas actually identify themselves with the neighbouring regions (Somaliland, Puntland). It is also because of ONLF's dogmatic attachment to a clan name as a liberation struggle brand. Of course, for someone who has never thought outside clan frame, everyone else must have the same motivation and I am not surprised by Burhadeer's accusations against me. I don't agree with them but I understand. And also it doesn't really matter if I am a hypocrat hiding behind Somalinimo or a genuine person. The real question is am I saying incorrect things. To the extent I am saying what I see as facts, the right course is to present counter-facts so that I am convinced. FACT: Somaliland's secession is a one-clan agenda.

I did not say that i merely said that he wants secession from his mother Country and that is true which makes Him a secessionist. Whether his community wants independence or a fair autonomous state with in the federal republic of Ethiopia is irrelevant to his secessionist behavior.He want to break up an African country yes than he is a secessionist i don't care if he says awoowgay ba la gubay awoowgi la gubku.

Abtigiis   

Xaaji, yes secessionst waan ahay in that sense. Laakin, isn't one man's terrorist the other's hero? I am secessionst for Ethiopians, I am unionist for Somalians. I would face the same accussations I am labelling against SL if i go to an Ethiopian forum.

You want to unite people and individuals who don't share the same Political aspirations or can't even coexist and share A small transitional government proposed by the international Community. And you suggest you want to unite all Somali speaking People this is ridiculousness way of thinking i have to say.you cannot unite People based on a language we have learned that history teaches us that. if that was the case the Tigrayans would have been part of Eritrea today Djibouti would have been part of Somaliland .You accuse others that their political decisions are inspired by emotions but look at you, you feel that the only way you can obtain independence is to use your Subclans Name against your own brothers in particular the in kabri bayax and jigjiga Community who are now left out and are forced to support the dds admin. Somaliland is Political mature its an all inclusive Country a multi tribal society it works with Viable working institutions a government that functions and its people united with a genuine democracy.Now you will view it from A clanish Lens not sure why but because you feel that everything should be clan orientated in order to make sense in your mind.I don't have a real problem with the O name if you are willing to use that name to fight against the other Ethiopians if you think you are going to be successful you should do it. But some will say that you are Clan Secessionist or should i say a subclan secessionist and not an honest Somali Secessionist who is willing to involve all the Somalis in the region.

Carafaat   

Xaaji Xunjuf;746245 wrote:
You want to unite people and individuals who don't share the same Political aspirations or can't even coexist and share A small transitional government proposed by the international Community. And you suggest you want to unite all Somali speaking People this is ridiculousness way of thinking i have to say.you cannot unite People based on a language we have learned that history teaches us that. if that was the case the Tigrayans would have been part of Eritrea today Djibouti would have been part of Somaliland .You accuse others that their political decisions are inspired by emotions but look at you, you feel that the only way you can obtain independence is to use your Subclans Name against your own brothers in particular the in kabri bayax and jigjiga Community who are now left out and are forced to support the dds admin.
Somaliland is Political mature its an all inclusive Country a multi tribal society it works with Viable working institutions a government that functions and its people united with a genuine democracy.
Now you will view it from A clanish Lens not sure why but because you feel that everything should be clan orientated in order to make sense in your mind.I don't have a real problem with the O name if you are willing to use that name to fight against the other Ethiopians if you think you are going to be successful you should do it. But some will say that you are Clan Secessionist or should i say a subclan secessionist and not an honest Somali Secessionist who is willing to involve all the Somalis in the region.

This debate would have made sense 20 years ago, back in 1991. But today Somaliland's indepedance, authority, goverment institution and its laws are standing strong.

heck, even my own clan find it hard if not impossible to get their political (clan)message through, let alone some people from the diaspora who are no stakeholders in the country.