Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Thanks God-I wasn't hallucinating

Earthquake strikes US east coast

Map

A magnitude 5.9 earthquake has struck the east coast of the United States.

The quake was felt in Washington, where the Pentagon and US Capitol Building were evacuated, as well as in New York.

There were no immediate reports of any major damage or injuries.

The quake hit at 1351 local time (1751 GMT) at a depth of 3.7 miles (6km), the US Geological Survey said. The tremor was centred some 9 miles from the town of Mineral, in the state of Virginia, it said.

An initial measurement of 5.8 was later upgraded.

The BBC's Jonny Dymond in Washington said the city's streets filled with evacuated workers minutes after the earthquake hit. He said at street level the quake felt like an underground train passing close.

Television monitors and lights swayed for about 30 seconds, he said, and the mobile phone network temporarily crashed.

Our correspondent said the earthquake was felt as far north as Boston and to the Carolinas in the south.

STOIC   

It was a minor tremor, but I still felt the tremor in my apartment ...it shook the walls. I was scared the mirrors and paintings on the wall in my apartment will be falling to the ground.I told the wife that is a an earhtquake..she was scared, but i had to reassure it seemed like a minor.(I guess to much watching of the science channel)...Subhannalah.....

Aaliyyah   

Che n Stoic glad you two are safe and sound. We felt it here too - it was kinda scary lol...nafta sida lo jecelyahay iyo sida ilaahay logu noqoneen ismabalaha..

salaam

Garnaqsi   

Che -Guevara;742464 wrote:
I was taking a nap on my couch when it started moving back and forth. I seriously thought I was imagining things.

That made me laugh! I'm glad you're alright, though.

STOIC   

‎MSNBC says the Washington monument is leaning to left. Fox news says its to the right....funny line i picked today....haha