Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Amoud Foundation is Establishing Feeding Centers in Bay, Bakool, and Shabeelada Hoose

For Solers interested in helping with the droughts in the South, I would recommend you donate funds to Amoud Foundation, reputable organization with good track record and also works with Dr. Hawa Abdi Foundation.

The Foundation has the go-ahead from the State Department, the Department of Homeland Security and the Department Treasury. The State Department Legal Team will establish guidelines to any organization that wants to help in Somalia so that people are not accused of funding terrorist organization.

Wa Salaam

Np-guys, please contribute.

The statistics is staggering, every family in the South will lose a relative, the most vulnerable being the children. This is being called children's famine. The graveyard of the Somali children is testament.

Somalia's 'children's famine' has been ignored

Somalia-famine-007.jpg

The UN has officially declared that famine exists in Somalia. Photograph: Oli Scarff/Getty Images

The problem when a child is dying from starvation is that they can't wait. They can't put their hunger on pause until the glare of the media decides to turn its spotlight on them and help spread the word that children are dying. Instead, they will slowly starve to death.

This is exactly what is happening to nearly 2 million children in Somalia right now. Nearly half of these children are already on the critical list, inching further away from life as every hour slips by. By the time you read this, it may already be too late for some.

In today's newspapers – from front to back – I was hoping to see the media use their power and influence to tell this story. I hoped to see headlines shouting that millions of women and children in Somalia, and across the entire Horn of Africa, are struggling for survival and need the British public to help.

But I didn't. Instead, my eyes were blurred with articles of shaving foam and hacking scandals, as talk about the dire need for nutritional supplies for children who need their lives saved slipped into the footnotes.

And now, the situation has reached crisis point. This morning the UN officially declared that famine exists in Somalia and that the lives of nearly half of the Somali population – 3.7 million people – are now in crisis.

At Unicef, which is the UN's children's agency, they don't use the word famine lightly. They are guided by strict criteria that means it can only be declared when at least three of eight prerequisites are reached. These are acute malnutrition rates among children must exceed 30%; more than two people per 10,000 die daily; and food access falls far below 2,100 kilocalories of food every day.

Guardian